Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbio

Lurker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be interviewing at SCCO in about a week. Should I wear a suit or will a shirt and tie suffice?

I'm not a local and last I checked it was almost 80 degrees down there :eek:, which is nice but to be wearing a jacket...eh. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you can never go wrong with a suit. it will be hot, but you'll be inside most of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be interviewing at SCCO in about a week. Should I wear a suit or will a shirt and tie suffice?

I'm not a local and last I checked it was almost 80 degrees down there :eek:, which is nice but to be wearing a jacket...eh. Thanks.

E-mail Dr. Munroe for "Interview Attire FAQ".

Definitely wear a suit, you will stick out (not in a good way) if you do not.

what about for girls? i for one don't own a pantsuit, would a pair of nice slacks and a nice shirt be suffice?

what about for girls? i for one don't own a pantsuit, would a pair of nice slacks and a nice shirt be suffice?

Dr. Munroe's FAQ says (for women):
"A solid, neutral colored pant or skirt suit works best. Opt for moderate shoes with closed toes. No bare legs, opting for neutral hosiery or non-patterned colored hosiery. Limit the jewelry. A neat, professional hairstyle works best. Make-up should be natural and be careful not to wear too much perfume. Manicured, clean nails are important for a health care provider. Avoid big purses and leave your backpacks at home. A small leather briefcase or portfolio would be a better choice. Definite "don'ts" are short skirts, low necklines, bare mid-drifts, tennis shoes, open toed-shoes, leggings, jeans or see-through fabrics. Cover visible tattoos."

SCCO stresses professionalism and how you present yourself to patients. The way you dress definitely gets factored into your total interview score. So it's better to go above and beyond and dress as professionally as you can rather than just being "sufficient".

Last edited:
I interviewed with SCCO last February and I wore a suit. It was warm outside (close to +30ºC) but during the essay I took my jacket off and cooled down a bit (they also provide you with water). I had it kind of easy though as I was interviewed at 3:30 (last one of the day) so it had cooled down a bit from the afternoon heat.

I agree with iVision. I have done two interviews (not at SCCO, though) and I remember only one or two girls out of about thirty who weren't wearing a suit. If the weather is too hot, you could always wear a cute skirt suit rather than the pants. Oh, and good luck on your interview!!:)

Is it bad (for a girl) to wear a black jacket with navy blue slacks?

Is it bad (for a girl) to wear a black jacket with navy blue slacks?

Its not exactly "bad." It depends on the type of jacket, if its like a suit jacket, then the black might look a bit miss-matched with the navy slacks. In my personal opinion, I always feel pairing black with navy looks like someone mistakenly thought the navy was black (or vice versa).

If you have black pants, then you should consider wearing that instead. In the end, I'm sure as long as you look clean and professional, no fashion police would jump out at you during the interview. :D

You only get one chance so why blow it? Make sure you are dressed as professional as possible. When I went to PCO for an interview I was shocked that a girl showed up with a white shirt, and dress pants, and purple nail polish. She looked seriously immature, and it was so unprofessional. Who cares what you wear for 364 days a year?! That one day can change your life, so take it seriously. Pant suit for males or females...you can't go wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
::bump::

so quick question for male interview attire.

I got a black suit, would you recommend white shirt and a solid, red or blue tie? Or should I use the tie as an opportunity to "stand out" a bit, say striped or with a nice design..

thanks

what about wearing a 3/4 sleeved blazer? Every single full length sleeved suit I try on is too baggy and I look like a little kid trying on their parent's clothes :S I'm very petite, and many times even the smallest sizes are too large for me. Ladies what did you wear to your interviews this year?

what about wearing a 3/4 sleeved blazer? Every single full length sleeved suit I try on is too baggy and I look like a little kid trying on their parent's clothes :S I'm very petite, and many times even the smallest sizes are too large for me. Ladies what did you wear to your interviews this year?

I was in the same situation as you. It is possible to find a suit for you. I found a very nice skirt suit in the petite section of Banana Republic. There are other stores that also have petite sections with very small sizes. It may have to be altered a little, but it would be a very worthwhile investment to get a suit.

There were girls who didn't wear suits, and I thought it was very tacky. I am sure a lot of girls will argue that point, but I had interviewers comment on how nice I looked (some even made comments about girls who were NOT wearing suits). Not to say that you will necessarily get rejected if you don't, but it does make you stand out in not such a good way.

How petite are you? I find BR stuff doesn't fit me.. they are alright in length but are fit for more curvy women.

I went to The Limited and told the sales lady my body type and she found the perfect fit for me. I wear Drew Fit. They come in S and L's... and if length is still an issue they will hem it for you. There are many jackets, and I had the same problem with looking "drowned" in a suit jacket. I found a really fitted one that worked out. I think a 3/4 sleeve would be fine and still professional, just not my style.

I wore a pant suit, some other ladies just wore a skirt or pants without the suit jacket. I would go safe, get a set, and wear the set. You want to look pulled together and presentable.

Wear some comfy shoes as well, nothing super high heeled. Usually it will be a long day.. you don't want to show up to your interview looking tired or annoyed at your hurt feet.

Good luck!

Pretty petite... I fit into xxs and 00 sizes. Even if BR's stuff does fit, they currently don't have any small sizes left in their suit sets at the location I shop at. And I haven't heard of The Limited actually. I did find a set at RW & Co that has a pant and blazer that's got 3/4 sleeves... it fits pretty well so I'll stick with that. I have read in the past though that it's better to wear long sleeves, as it's more conservative. And I definitely agree with sticking to a set - you can't go wrong with it! Thanks to you both for the advice!

The Limited has a ton of business wear. Visit: thelimited.com .. just because they have a ton of business clothes for clinic. You are very small.. 00 and xxs but I believe they have extended sizes online.

Check out their store! I am a huge fan of their clothing items.

Pretty petite... I fit into xxs and 00 sizes. Even if BR's stuff does fit, they currently don't have any small sizes left in their suit sets at the location I shop at. And I haven't heard of The Limited actually. I did find a set at RW & Co that has a pant and blazer that's got 3/4 sleeves... it fits pretty well so I'll stick with that. I have read in the past though that it's better to wear long sleeves, as it's more conservative. And I definitely agree with sticking to a set - you can't go wrong with it! Thanks to you both for the advice!

Order online from BR. They have smaller petite sizes than in stores, shipping is free, and returns/ exchanges are super easy. I'm not affiliated, just a very pleased very petite customer.

anyone have any thoughts on straight legged pants instead of trousers? they definitely don't fit tight, only difference is that the bottom is straight instead of wide. not sure if this is appropriate...