interview book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
some time ago, someone posted a book about tackling med school interviews.
I dont remember the name. it was not smartypants medical school interviews...it was another book. anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

hi
some time ago, someone posted a book about tackling med school interviews.
I dont remember the name. it was not smartypants medical school interviews...it was another book. anybody know?

Well I am not sure of the original post, but I found this book to be rather helpful. It's called The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success by Jeremiah Fleenor.

Well I am not sure of the original post, but I found this book to be rather helpful. It's called The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success by Jeremiah Fleenor.

This is the book that helped my friend at GWU med 2 years ago.

:)

I also think the Interview feedback stuff on here is a hugely helpful resource. Practice with those questions. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

thank you, that's it

It's actually full of completely obvious things, so if you happen to have a friend that's bought it or an advisor's office that has it, I'd just borrow it at most.

It's actually full of completely obvious things, so if you happen to have a friend that's bought it or an advisor's office that has it, I'd just borrow it at most.

its fine, because i am completely clueless. I have no idea how to answer things like "tell me about yourself" or "why this school"
my answers right now: "what do you want to know about me?" "I know nothing about this school, i just looked at your numbers and thought I have a decent chance of getting accepted"

is the smartypants one better?

its fine, because i am completely clueless. I have no idea how to answer things like "tell me about yourself" or "why this school"
my answers right now: "what do you want to know about me?" "I know nothing about this school, i just looked at your numbers and thought I have a decent chance of getting accepted"

at least what I'm about to say is true of job interviews, but I'm sure possibly true of med school interviews too......but a lot of times when they say tell me about yourself, they are asking you to tell why you to a given school.

They want to know about you in the sense of what is relevant to why you'd be a great physician and what you've done to show this. This is how it is at job interviews at least. If you do say you were born here and grew up there, it should be relevant in how it helps you become a better physician i.e. like if you grew up in a rural area with few doctors or in a foreign country where you get a different perspective then how that perspective will help you. What is relevant to why you'd be a great doctor. Not a whole biography.

That is how job interview books explain it. They say tell the things relevant to who you are in terms of how you are qualified to be in that job.

On the issue of why this school.

Things I'd research about a school
1. The curricula.

Is it traditional, PBL, or integrated systems approach? is there a lot of early clinical experience or not? is it more research focused or clinical focused? are there things like concentrations or minors in the med school you could do like they have at USF med? i.e. is there a chance to do independent side projects?

2. Kinda clinical programs and sites they have, research opportunities, kinda international clinical opportunities they have, etc.

3. mission statement of the school.

etc.

If there is a particular field you are interested in and they have good opportunities related to that field of medicine then that is another thing you could mention.

stuff like this.