Interview by phone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiseman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools allow phone interviews if the applicant is unable to attend an in person interview? There is a chance I'll be in Afghanistan starting next May-November which happens to be when I am applying to school. I am also not military but will be working on the bases.

Members don't see this ad.

Do medical schools allow phone interviews if the applicant is unable to attend an in person interview? There is a chance I'll be in Afghanistan starting next May-November which happens to be when I am applying to school. I am also not military but will be working on the bases.

I've never heard of a school allowing this.

Afghanistan doesn't sound like a good idea. What if something happened and you needed medical attention? Would you be ok having a surgeon not necessarily of your faith work on you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Afghanistan doesn't sound like a good idea. What if something happened and you needed medical attention? Would you be ok having a surgeon not necessarily of your faith work on you?

:highfive: Didn't even catch that it was the same poster! Wiseman, this is actually a valid question. What would you do in the event you needed medical treatment? I too have not heard of doing a phone interview in lieu of a f2f, but I have not heard of many things so... Stay out of trouble. Keep your head down. Stay safe yo.

I've never heard of this, but sounds like a pretty unique case. I think a lot of it may rest on what your actual position is on the base. You said you're not military. If you were military I could see exceptions maybe being made. Otherwise, I'm not so sure...

Again, I've never heard of this being allowed. Slim chance if any at all.

They'll just schedule you for later in their interview season. I don't know of any schools that finish interviews during this time frame. You will not be able to do phone interviews.

I underestimated the snarkyness of this place, touché.

No one will do phone interviews, as far as I know. In a few secondaries there was space to list any time you were going to be out of the country and couldn't make an interview, but that just meant they would schedule you later, not that they would give you a phone interview.

My previous reply was directed at dmf2682, you are a worthy adversary.

OP, just submit all of your apps in November! You'll get plenty of Dec-March interviews then. :thumbup:

(not srs)

They'll just schedule you for later in their interview season. I don't know of any schools that finish interviews during this time frame. You will not be able to do phone interviews.

Pitt finishes interviewing by next week.

Someone was telling me that there was a school that conducted interviews via webcam. Not sure which school.

I remember one of my interviewers from Texas A&M said that she interviewed a person via web cam... so maybe that's a possibility.

These questions can't be serious can they? What good would a school get by phone interviewing you? There is no concrete guarantee it is you on the other end of the line, you could have a computer by you, you could have stacks of possible answers written by someone other than you at your side.

I thought that the first question you asked about having liver transplants at a doctors office was outrageous but I gave you the benefit of the doubt considering the seriousness others were treating you with.

What's next, can you wear a kangaroo outfit on rotations?

These questions can't be serious can they? What good would a school get by phone interviewing you? There is no concrete guarantee it is you on the other end of the line, you could have a computer by you, you could have stacks of possible answers written by someone other than you at your side.

I thought that the first question you asked about having liver transplants at a doctors office was outrageous but I gave you the benefit of the doubt considering the seriousness others were treating you with.

What's next, can you wear a kangaroo outfit on rotations?

Yes. The answer is YES. But can you wear a banana costume that has no arm holes/places for the arms?