Interview Date Affecting Ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing at a program which I really want rather late in the month (Jan 24th). Does this mean my rank is pretty much already set?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same position. I asked one of the faculty on the selection committee at my home program about this and he assured me that when you interview doesn't have an impact on your application one way or the other. He told me that they know that people are doing clerkships and have other interviews and outside committments. Not everyone can interview early. What matters most is the overall impression that they have of you after the interview.

Why would the rank already be set before the interview? Programs don't have to submit their lists until February.

If you were about to interview 300 people, who's stats you already knew, wouldn't you have a rudimentry ROL just to work by? I probably would. It's obviously not set in stone, but they probably have something.

If you were about to interview 300 people, who's stats you already knew, wouldn't you have a rudimentry ROL just to work by? I probably would. It's obviously not set in stone, but they probably have something.

Then what's the point of interviewing? A lot of programs spend big bucks just to put on their interviews.

Like I said, it's NOT SET IN STONE... more like frail autumn leaves. The point of interviewing is to see if the guy who's their preliminary number 1 or 100 is compatable with their residents and their program. However, this is guess work based on what I've heard others say. I'm not a PD.

You're all correct.

Of course we've reviewed everyone's files prior to arrival. Obviously we have to decide who we are interviewing and who not, and while I'm reviewing that I "score" each application.

The interview can move your score up, down, or remove you from the list altogether.

However, the actual day you interview has NOTHING to do with where you are listed. We let students choose the interview day that works best for their schedules. First day or last day, doesn't matter to me -- your position on my rank list = (quality of medical education) X (how well you did in med school) +/- interview factor + 10 slots up the rank list if you didn't wear black on the interview day.

Before someone flames me, that was a joke, and there isn't a real "formula". ;)