Interview date and acceptance chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcbnerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my first interview request today and every date was full except in January. Does having a later interview date affect my chances of getting accepted?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on the school.

I heard from the head secretary at a dental school that she feels bad for applicants who interview late because the school has already pretty much picked who they want. I know that isn't the same everywhere, but with some schools it is certainly the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course an interview after december lower your chance of acceptance. Schools start sending out acceptance on Dec. 1st so there will be less seats available when you interview in Jan.

Last edited:
Let's pretend a school has 100 seats for a class:

Interview 1: 20 interview: Give away 20 seats
Interview 2: 20 interview: Give away 19 seats
Interview 3: 20 interview: Give away 18 seats
Interview 4: 20 interview: Give away 17 seats
Interview 5: 20 interview: Give away 16 seats

Then all the post-December interviewees will fight for the remaining 10 spots and need to have apps that are stellar. These are your 25AA, 100,000 volunteering hours, curing dental caries, etc.

The amount of invites don't change, the amount of seats left change. Schools are no longer generous because everything has been given away. This is an example an admissions person shared with me. She even told me that applying close to the deadline is wasted money because they already planned on all the interview invites they want to give post-December.

Good luck and congratulations on your first interview! Keep a positive attitude and vibe and you'll get in!

Reactions: 1 user
You have to factor in that not everyone who gets accepted takes their acceptance.

Mr Rock Star applicant will have 10 acceptances and can't take all 10 of them. The seats that open up will go to the wait listed people who apply/interview late.

Reactions: 1 users