Interview date and acceptance correlation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axf1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the date of the interview invitation has anything to do with the extent to which a school is interested in you? Here's my specific example:

My state school has been offering interviews since early September. I have been following the school specific thread, and everyone for the past few weeks that has been given an interview is being scheduled for December or even January. I submitted my application in late August and secondaries the second week of September. However, I just received an invitation for an interview this coming Monday! I'm tempted to think that the admissions committee was impressed by my application since I was scheduled so soon, but is this a reasonable assumption to make? If not, could someone please explain the reasoning behind being given an interview so close?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

They wouldn't have offered you an interview if they weren't impressed by something on your app. But there is so much variance in the process that no one can really speculate on any reason behind all the madness. Maybe someone dropped out last minute, so they offered you the spot.

Reactions: 1 user
(Not an adcom) But I think thats thinking way to far into it lol. They probably just had a cancelation Monday and fit you in. It happened to me for one of my interviews. Now if your talking time submitted to time of interview invitation itself, I bet there is some correlation to how much they like you there. How big it is is anyones guess.

Congrats on the II!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could be just the cancellation -- but from all of the applicants, they invited you in NOW! Take that as a compliment (even if it maybe isn't) and interview with confidence.

Exactly what everyone here is saying. You can spend time wondering why, however they invited you for an interview. YOU GOT TO THE DOOR! Now show them what you are made of. It is important to remember that they only invite people they believe (at least on paper) are worthy.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for the replies! One more question: I am very confident in my interview skills, but how does the interview play a role in acceptance? For example, after offering an interview, are academics and test scores no longer considered, making acceptance be determined purely based on how the interview goes? Or will my interview be ranked and then be considered along with the rest of my application that was already viewed and assessed?

Thank you everyone for the replies! One more question: I am very confident in my interview skills, but how does the interview play a role in acceptance? For example, after offering an interview, are academics and test scores no longer considered, making acceptance be determined purely based on how the interview goes? Or will my interview be ranked and then be considered along with the rest of my application that was already viewed and assessed?

The latter, I'm pretty sure.