Interview Demeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how serious the applicant should be during the interview. I tend to come off as serious/focused, but I read recently on a blog somewhere where an adcom was turned off that an applicant did not smile during the interview (they took this as not being interested in their school). But the topics they ask about usually are not really joke-y (e.g. tell us about a difficult partner, or tell us about your upbringing, or tell us about healthcare disparity).

I recently had an interview for a scholarship where the managers were laughing, cracking jokes. I was surprised and I am sure they noticed because they said "we like to be relaxed and comfortable here". It was the only interview afterward I have had in my life where I did not get the position. So I was wondering if medical schools want to see a more focused person or a relaxed person??

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how serious the applicant should be during the interview. I tend to come off as serious/focused, but I read recently on a blog somewhere where an adcom was turned off that an applicant did not smile during the interview (they took this as not being interested in their school). But the topics they ask about usually are not really joke-y (e.g. tell us about a difficult partner, or tell us about your upbringing, or tell us about healthcare disparity).

I recently had an interview for a scholarship where the managers were laughing, cracking jokes. I was surprised and I am sure they noticed because they said "we like to be relaxed and comfortable here". It was the only interview afterward I have had in my life where I did not get the position. So I was wondering if medical schools want to see a more focused person or a relaxed person??

I think you're over thinking this a bit. You can be serious/focused and smile at the same time?

They want someone who does not have a singular personality, and is able to adjust demeanor depending on the circumstances. Meeting and exchanging pleasantries at the beginning of the interview = relaxed and smiling. Describing how that B+ you got freshman year affected you = laser beam focus. Describing those five children you pulled from a mudslide in Costa Morada = soulful, upbeat, but with a twinge of introspection about the fragility of life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be yourself would be the best bet. Smiling at appropriate times shows sociability. If you keep your stern face when someone cracks a joke, that will sour the interaction.

A neutral smile is a good thing to have. It's a smile that doesn't look like the person is smiling at anything, and maybe, not even smiling. It's subtle, but it makes you look not stern or sad/frowny. Too strong a smile comes off weird.

I feel like I'm speaking to an autistic person.

Be yourself would be the best bet. Smiling at appropriate times shows sociability. If you keep your stern face when someone cracks a joke, that will sour the interaction.

A neutral smile is a good thing to have. It's a smile that doesn't look like the person is smiling at anything, and maybe, not even smiling. It's subtle, but it makes you look not stern or sad/frowny. Too strong a smile comes off weird.

I feel like I'm speaking to an autistic person.

I lol'ed at this desperate attempt to explain human emotions. Smile when happy, frown when mad, cry when sad.

OP is a robot and hoping the adcoms don't notice.

I lol'ed at this desperate attempt to explain human emotions. Smile when happy, frown when mad, cry when sad.

OP is a robot and hoping the adcoms don't notice.

If the MCAT is high enough he might find a few that won't care.

Just be yourself....that's what they want. They want to know then when you are "being yourself" you're not a pompous, self-absorbed, vulgar, racist, homophobic, insensitive ***hole. If you just act normal and let your personality shine, then I think you give yourself the best chance to not seem like an ***hole.

In my opinion your demeanor should be inviting, reflect honesty, and be light-hearted in delivery. Be open to the conversation, acknowledge that you don't have all the answers - you're more than likely an student in their early 20s who hasn't even had a serious job before, they're not expecting you to. They should already see on your application that you're a serious, responsible person, so being robotic will get you nowhere.

You don't have to go around giggling like a 6 year old school girl or make jokes with punchlines, but try to inject some humor into telling your experiences and the interview process. Personally, I go for a tiny bit of self-deprecation with the little things, as I notice it really warms people up and gives a perception of honesty, and then when I slide in all my big achievements and attributes it doesn't seem as forced or arrogant.

In my opinion your demeanor should be inviting, reflect honesty, and be light-hearted in delivery. Be open to the conversation, acknowledge that you don't have all the answers - you're more than likely an student in their early 20s who hasn't even had a serious job before, they're not expecting you to. They should already see on your application that you're a serious, responsible person, so being robotic will get you nowhere.

You don't have to go around giggling like a 6 year old school girl or make jokes with punchlines, but try to inject some humor into telling your experiences and the interview process. Personally, I go for a tiny bit of self-deprecation with the little things, as I notice it really warms people up and gives a perception of honesty, and then when I slide in all my big achievements and attributes it doesn't seem as forced or arrogant.

Agreed. My interviews that went the best were those where I was able to joke around with my interviewer a little bit. Of course, they will still bring it around to serious questions, and you have to be able to answer appropriately (and with appropriate facial expressions), but being able do this and still show ease in an interview comes off as more genuine and confident (vs being super serious, which may come off as rehearsed).

We want to see the real you. If you're focussed, fine. But you do have to be able to relate to human beings. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

Practice your Mona Lisa. :)
no man, smile big, smile often, and once in a while, speak in a low, soft tone, passionately and quickly and with determination. then smile big and smile often again.

I personally really hate pleasantries when they are forced and artificial. I would honestly everybody be blunt and down to business than put on a dumb show of civility.

I guess I need to learn how to fake smile.

I personally really hate pleasantries when they are forced and artificial. I would honestly everybody be blunt and down to business than put on a dumb show of civility.

If you think the only pleasantries in a medical school interview are "forced and artificial", I find that rather troubling. I had great conversations with my interviewers, which hardly seems surprising, since our very meeting highlights a lot of common ground. Patients want to be able to talk to their doctor, and it shouldn't be a "show" to have a pleasant chat while still getting work done.

Of course you of all people would hate fake smiling. Just look at this perverted smile!

commander-shepard-smile.jpg