Interview Etiquette Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DEdm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about many people's interview experience and it has made me curious about something. How much should we (the interviewee) being asking the interviewer questions about him/her. I know we ask questions when they ask "do you have any questions?" But, should we just randomly throw in questions as well?

For example, I have heard someone after being asked about hobbies turn around and asked the interviewer the same question.

Any response is much appreciated especially personal stories, general advice, and anything else that will help with my interview!

Members don't see this ad.

In general I think it's a bad idea to randomly throw questions in, especially if they're about the interviewer personally. This interview should be all about the APPLICANT, not the interviewer. Save any questions about the school or program until the end, and then ask away. I would avoid any personal questions.

unless you share some kind of mutual interest that you learned about earlier in the interview, just stick with asking questions about the school, program, locality, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found most of my interviews to be more like extended conversations more than anything. Sure they asked the typical questions, but it wasn't like: Question 1: response. Question 2: response. If we were talking about my research experience, and I had the opportunity after I was finished to ask a question about the school's research, I did. It's better to ask relevant questions when they come to mind rather than waiting until the end. Just keep they key word in mind "RELEVANT!"

A few schools gave out short biographies (like a paragraph) about the interviewers at the beginning of the day. If they had something personal, but interesting that I wanted to know more about, I asked! If they're willing to put it on the page, it's fair game for questions.

^ Thanks. Yeah that is my instinct about this question as well. I just know that some people are so conversational that they can actually turn the interview around and start "interviewing" the interviewer.