Interview Experience & Practical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi g3k,
what an amazing job u have done just summarising your experiences for the benefit of others ,just wonderful .what you have written is invaluable advice and has just left me longing for words .THANK YOU :thumbup:
keep posting so your experience will help others and the good work just continues .i am in the same boat i applied this year to 5 schools just got 1 interview (BU) but not heard anything from them yet and i was so dejected then i come across your thread and voila you give me a ray of hope,just one question how did you prepare for the west coast practicals, please guide us as to how you prepared for the case presentations etc etc
once again fantastic job
:love:

Thank you.
Case presentations? - What is that?
West coast practical exams - I didn't prepare... if you did read my first post you would have read that :D. But, I would suggest, if you are keen on west coast schools, then definitely join some course, Duggan's or studydent or some form. You have to practice atleast for 2 months continuously (for a fresh graduate like me) if you want to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

well...thats a very informative thread indeed..good job g3k.all the very best with your dental schooling..

I admire your persistence and determination, g3k!

Validity

Members don't see this ad :)
HII G3K
its an amazing post...thanks a lot...btw..in which schools were u accepted??can u plz post ur stats
thank u

:thumbup: Thanks for the great post...gives a lot of people like me a ray of hope. Good luck for everything

Good job, very informative post .

I have edited and added some extra information on Pacifc. If any other student can pm me or post here about their school and the experience they have had so far at their school that would be great. Its team effort and I sincerely hope everyone helps and everyone can benefit from it.

very good post g3k,
good job!!!!it was so needed.
finally there are some people still there, who like to write and help others and not just read and benefit from other people's experiences. good job.the moderator should make this thread a sticky one, so that it is not lost in the sea of threads we have here!!!
also it shal be nice if somone could compare all schools on precise scale of tuition, clinical exp and duration, in a concise way for quick reference. maybe i will do that once i am done with all my exams, and have more time and feel it is finally time to pay off SDN !!
more people shud write on this thread abt their experiences of interviews and opinions abt the schools, in a concise manner to ADD on to the info provided by g3k.

very good post g3k,
good job!!!!it was so needed.
finally there are some people still there, who like to write and help others and not just read and benefit from other people's experiences. good job.the moderator should make this thread a sticky one, so that it is not lost in the sea of threads we have here!!!
also it shal be nice if somone could compare all schools on precise scale of tuition, clinical exp and duration, in a concise way for quick reference. maybe i will do that once i am done with all my exams, and have more time and feel it is finally time to pay off SDN !!
more people shud write on this thread abt their experiences of interviews and opinions abt the schools, in a concise manner to ADD on to the info provided by g3k.

Thanks Godbless... can you do it and post the information here?

You know, every now and then, you read a thread on SDN that just makes the whole website worthwhile, and I think this definitely is one of those. Not to take anything away from everyone elses great contributions.
This thread goes into the record books. Great information g3. Selflessness at it's best.
Me and g3 have known each other for while now, and I adore more than anything her determination and persistence on achieving and fulfilling her goals. Nothing fell into this girls lap, that's for sure ! I had confidence that she would make it this year, but more important than that is that she had confidence in herself.
For everyone out there ... you will be tested time and again on most values you hold sincere to yourself. DO NOT GIVE UP. I think this whole experience is just a glimpse of what is to come in our professional careers. Learn it now better than later. Be goal oriented. Set values and achievements for yourself, but more importantly, STICK TO THEM. Don't turn your back on your dreams with your head hanging low. You can AND WILL do it, if you try hard enough and maybe for enough times.
Congratulations once more g3. You make all of us proud and I am sure that I speak for many people when I say this.
I am sure there is a lucky school waiting for YOU somewhere. Just hope they can handle it ! :)

Sherif

You know, every now and then, you read a thread on SDN that just makes the whole website worthwhile, and I think this definitely is one of those. Not to take anything away from everyone elses great contributions.
This thread goes into the record books. Great information g3. Selflessness at it's best.
Me and g3 have known each other for while now, and I adore more than anything her determination and persistence on achieving and fulfilling her goals. Nothing fell into this girls lap, that's for sure ! I had confidence that she would make it this year, but more important than that is that she had confidence in herself.
For everyone out there ... you will be tested time and again on most values you hold sincere to yourself. DO NOT GIVE UP. I think this whole experience is just a glimpse of what is to come in our professional careers. Learn it now better than later. Be goal oriented. Set values and achievements for yourself, but more importantly, STICK TO THEM. Don't turn your back on your dreams with your head hanging low. You can AND WILL do it, if you try hard enough and maybe for enough times.
Congratulations once more g3. You make all of us proud and I am sure that I speak for many people when I say this.
I am sure there is a lucky school waiting for YOU somewhere. Just hope they can handle it ! :)

Sherif

Oh Sherif... You make me blush! :love: I wouldn't have done all this if it weren't for your constant support and encouragement! You are a great friend and I am one of the very lucky to get such a wonderful friend. How is school treating you? Do you have any more praises to sing about Pacific? :D

P.S. - Pacific has been pleading everyone to call it Pacific and somehow no one wants to call Pacific - Pacific. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey :thumbup: real good job g3k!It's good to see NILE pitching in.It's been a while since one has seen a post from him.
I think one needs to be determined and not to lose heart-if you ever feel low just log on to sdn!sure to bring in the:) :) :)
I remember reading Nile's post abt gettng Pacific,Fido and Khaled abt NYU.They are just some of the people who kept me from the dumps.
Apart from that-Good score(it does take some work there),personal statement(a whole lot of work:eek: ) and also do rehearse well for the interviews , stick close to the truth and be confident.
Save the best (not for the last silly:p ) for the school you really really want and guess what -u'd pretty much get it:luck:

Oh Sherif... You make me blush! :love: I wouldn't have done all this if it weren't for your constant support and encouragement! You are a great friend and I am one of the very lucky to get such a wonderful friend. How is school treating you? Do you have any more praises to sing about Pacific? :D

P.S. - Pacific has been pleading everyone to call it Pacific and somehow no one wants to call Pacific - Pacific. :p

Hey there stranger !
Well, I guess it's working, wouldn't you say ? You just said PACIFIC like 4 times in 10 seconds ! lol
Nice to see you again !
I never heard which school you finally chose to join ? PM me, or write it here if you feel comfortable ... either way !
GET SOME REST ! :laugh: You'll thank me later ...

Good Luck !

Hi there Enamel ... good to see you again !
Yeah, I know I have not been on here as much I would like to, but hey, school is school ! Keeping me busy ...
What have you been up to lately ?

Hey :thumbup: real good job g3k!It's good to see NILE pitching in.It's been a while since one has seen a post from him.
I think one needs to be determined and not to lose heart-if you ever feel low just log on to sdn!sure to bring in the:) :) :)
I remember reading Nile's post abt gettng Pacific,Fido and Khaled abt NYU.They are just some of the people who kept me from the dumps.
Apart from that-Good score(it does take some work there),personal statement(a whole lot of work:eek: ) and also do rehearse well for the interviews , stick close to the truth and be confident.
Save the best (not for the last silly:p ) for the school you really really want and guess what -u'd pretty much get it:luck:

Thanks Enamel. I am sure you are going to have fun at Tufts! I agree - stick to the truth and be yourself!

P.S. Its Khurram and not Khaled if I am right :laugh:

Have a fun trip and keep in touch!

I have been getting PMs asking my scores. I have repeatedly told you scores matter but make only part of your application. I don't know how else I can stress that point. Anyway, I did post my stats in the admissions page but here goes:
Part 1...93 (retake)
Toefl.....116
GPA.......2.85 ece
Experience in home country.....NONE
Experience in US........Volunteer Dental Assistant; Faculty
Applied to...... UCLA,USC,UCSF,Pacific,UIC,BU,UPENN,UMN,UMICH
Interviewed at....USC,UCSF,Pacific,UIC,BU,UPENN,UMN,UMICH (yet to interview)
Accepted at.....UMN, BU, UIC, Pacific
Waitlisted at..... Upenn
Rejected at...... UCLA (before interviews) and UCSF & USC (after interviews)

Reactions: 1 user
u r doing some great favor for people who r still trying our for schools and ur selfless act will indeed be blessed.:luck:
great job g3k .
and god bless u always, there r very few people who would do such a huge favor for people who r just strangers to them ...

keep up the good work!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :)

indeed a gr88 post g3k.. don't have words to thank u.. all the very best for ur future.

could tell me how you worked as a faculty? I would really appreciate your help.

I would go to school everyday. When my class time starts I would go to the assigned classroom and teach the students. I gave regular assignments and tests.... Naaaah Juuuust kidding :D

I applied to an open position in a local community college. They called me for an interview and gave me the job. I made some connections and interviewed at other CC's and got a job at one other CC.

Below is my profile, do you think-I have any chance for getting an interview call?
or
These r my stats. do u think i will get in?
I simply cannot answer that question. You seem like a good candidate but I don't know how competitive you are in a pool of applicants. If you did not get in this year, probably it is not because you were a bad candidate but because you were not competitive enough. You never know what kind of fellow applicants you competed with. So improve any/every part of your application and apply again. If this is what you want to do, stick with it.

i have a low gpa. how did u accomplish it?
If you don't feel comfortable applying with your GPA, get a masters or an MPH, just to prove you can handle education in the US. When I say handle, you get nothing less than a 3.7 or 3.8 in your program. You can also compensate it with a high NBDE score. I know 93 isn't that high these days, but at a couple interviews they actually said "Not bad you managed to get a good nbde score to compensate your low GPA." So it works to to get a good NBDE score too.

I thank everyone out there who have praised my work or thanked me. Besides that, I am sure that some of you attended interviews at schools I didn't even apply to. If you could be nice to post your experience there along with the good and bad you found about that school, that would help the others.
Thanks!

Hats of to u g3k.:luck: ....u have done an amzing job ............i wuz wondering how much it must taken for u to put down the information....whewww u've got some grrreat patience.
ur posts r motivating tooo......and ofcourse vveeery informative for those who r lazy enough to go thru each school requirements and details.

i wish u goooodluck for ur future ......u will do just great.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

wowwwwwww g3k.......very nice and informative post:)
dr_miini

Firstly, I commend you, g3k for your efforts here. Well done! I hope to contribute a little of my own experience.

I have only Pacific to share with you all. As g3k pointed out earlier, everybody was so well dressed. That was also my first impression. I just love the school. I personally felt that there was less red tape bureaucracy being a private school. And on top of that, people were generally very helpful and friendly. The interview was more of a personality test. So be yourself! Honesty pays... What can I say about the practicals? Just follow the instructions. Take some time to read through them before you jump into your preparations.

Lastly, do your own research about various schools before choosing the right one for you. Take some of the advices posted on this forum with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, you know what is best for you. Good luck!

Hi people, i am starting this thread so that all of us waiting for interview call at various university with bench exm as part of their interview process could share in. Please enter all the preparation and exercise you know about a school requires for their interview bench exam....also what and how are all of you practicing for the interview??
All the best...

COMMON GUYS put in your search what you have made for the interview

LLU - They ask as to make a box out of match sticks and stickywax
- carving on plaster
- bending wire to a perticular design
- carving on wax

UCLA - ??

UCSF-??

MICHIGAN- Has a bench as well as written exam (i am not sure what exatly they ask)

I will enter new information as i get to know from the dental school....

Guys do contribute any idea or information you know about any interview.

UMichigan..Last yr, my friend who had attended the interview said that they asked for a MOD cl II & A PFM crown & something else(which I dont remember now)..actually it will not be a surprise, they will let u know before u go for the interview about the practical exam.
Its a 2 day interview and supposed to be pretty exhausting!

thanks dds no1 for starting this thread.it will be very useful and i will also keep adding to it from whatever little i know.

i have heard USC also asks for class 2 and a crown prep.

i request all other sdn members to please share there experience.i am sure there are re applicants here who went for the interview and bench exam last time but unfortunately couldn't make it.

for those who got through....please guide us.we need u!!!!

For what it's worth, you guys may also want to check this thread out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=252476

I'll merge both of these threads, and add them as a sticky at the top. It just makes it easier to locate when you need it, and would just make it easier for anyone to add their own experiences in the future, as opposed to having to search for it every time.

Please feel free to also recommend any additional threads you would like to be "stuck".

Good Luck.

My little additions to Nile's huge makeover :D ...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=350309

OF COURSE !
Thanks G3 for adding this invaluable contributory thread ! I merged it here to this sticky, so hopefully we can compile all the information regarding this topic under one roof ...
Please G3 and everyone out there, feel free to add on to what we already have, whether form your personal experience or a great thread you recently came across and liked !
Thanks again G3 for your contribution. :D

Sherif

Thank you G3K and Nile for all the great posts.....they are very helpful.:thumbup::thumbup:

Not enough can be said about the value of threads such as this one and the people who contributed.

So many come here just to use this site as a gauge to judge their potential for being accepted to an advanced standing program and contribute nothing.

Kudos to Nile and G3 as well as others who have donated their valuable time and this information that is like gold to those of us aspiring to aspire.

Hi I was wondering if we need to carry anything like Lab Coat, Instruments or anything on our own for the Clinical bench exam and interview.

Also what would be a better dress dress code for interview for guys n gals. Formal or casual ??

Thank you to everyone that posted their experiences with interviwes here, it's much appreciated!!!

I am only now starting studying for NBDE 1 and I will apply to west coast (& around) schools, is there anyone that did the same?

Thank you.
Case presentations? - What is that?
West coast practical exams - I didn't prepare... if you did read my first post you would have read that :D. But, I would suggest, if you are keen on west coast schools, then definitely join some course, Duggan's or studydent or some form. You have to practice atleast for 2 months continuously (for a fresh graduate like me) if you want to get in.

Wow, are the practical exams really that hard for west coast schools? Do you think I could prepare by having a dentist show me some stuff or do you think I need to take the courses?

Thank u Nile and G3 and all others who have contributed to these posts...

anyone has any idea about the interview at UTHSCSA? besides hows this school rated cuz i havent heard many ppl talking abt it...

Thanx

hi,

as someone who got admission this year into the uop, sf, i want to let you know that interview here is very basic-qns abt your past, current and future aspirations. the technique exam here is a class 2 amalgam and crown prep on anterior central for porcelain crown.

practice these exercises very well and if your scores are above 88-you stand a good chance.

good luck

hi,

as someone who got admission this year into the uop, sf, i want to let you know that interview here is very basic-qns abt your past, current and future aspirations. the technique exam here is a class 2 amalgam and crown prep on anterior central for porcelain crown.

practice these exercises very well and if your scores are above 88-you stand a good chance.

good luck

i had a doubt in class 2 preparation and wud really appreciate if you can help me out wid it....we were taught to make a reverse S curve on the buccal wall of the mesial proximal box...however I have received a manual from columbia univ regarding the way they want their class 2 prep to be made and they just want the proximal walls of their box to be flared out at the contacts.....i was wondering if that is d trend followed at UOP as well....thanx for ur help...

I have a bench exam at umdnj nj schol of dentistry next week ,they sent me a letter stating what I have to do ,but in the letter they also stated that during the bech exam I have to take a written exam 1hour long ,a periodontic questionnaire 1/2 hour and a prosthodontic questionnaire 1/2 hour ,what does that mean ?How could I prepare for it?what kind of questions do they ask in a questionnaire?I went through this thread and I didnt find the answer ,could someone help me out ?your help will be apreciated.thatks in advance guys.

I have a bench exam at umdnj nj schol of dentistry next week ,they sent me a letter stating what I have to do ,but in the letter they also stated that during the bech exam I have to take a written exam 1hour long ,a periodontic questionnaire 1/2 hour and a prosthodontic questionnaire 1/2 hour ,what does that mean ?How could I prepare for it?what kind of questions do they ask in a questionnaire?I went through this thread and I didnt find the answer ,could someone help me out ?your help will be apreciated.thatks in advance guys.
Hi Malboro,
actually, I have no idea about your coming exam, but may I ask u your status for UMDNJ. because I want to apply for umdnj and it is very important for me.I really appreciate that.
good luck

is there practical exam in colorado......????????

thank you nile bds n g3....

great thread..

i have been reading nile's posts .. he gives a very quick and unbiased reply..

thnx again..

Thank you everybody, who has put in their time and effort into this. This is really helpful. Hoping to come to a stage where I can help others , just like you guys, with my experience.
Thanks once again! :thumbup:

I have already posted my stats in NYU interview thread and I will try my best to cover all the details abt my interview still if any one has any doubts plz feel free to PM me...
I have been informed about my interview call on my cell phone on 14th of january at abt 4:45 pm,was scheduled for 17th of january starting at 8 am.
If you are driving to the NYU make it sure to leave early expecting trafic delays in the morning peak hours perticularly if u r staying somewhere in new jersey also there is no parking alloted for us or nyu students,if u r staying in jersey city then i guess path train will be best for the transportation,while going back all the people who are going to get any public transportation can book a cab together in sharing to reach port authority bus terminal(its just a suggestion because we did the same)
I reached NYU at 7:45 am,when u reach the place been informed in ur invitation e-mail,u find a lady at the information desk at the entrance,she will give u something like a file with the information regarding tution fees and loans,etc inside and u need to wait to be called for a personal interview
u can heve coffee or some breakfast at that time if u want to...
I was interviewed early at about 8 by a lady and it was just for 15 minutes only.They make u very comfortable and ask general questions like.......
- tell me something abt u,
- why u decided to be a dentist?
- wat r u doing these day,if u r a student like me on MPA/MPH then which university u r? and when r u planning to complete ur MPA?...be careful answering this question caz they r starting their program in JUNE,so they want u to complete it till may otherwise they will enroll u for 2009 batch.
- generally they dont go for theory related questions but she asked me to explain her how to manage a patient with syncope
Lastly they ask us if we have any questions for them abt the program or collage.
They called 12 students for interview,8 were for Advanced Placement and 4 were regular DDS students,when all 12 completed their interviews we had a short tour to collage and then we all were requested to sit in a room where we had an advisor to answer all our doubts regaring program/collage untill we r all clear with all our doubts
They have 120 seats this year for advanced standing students but they filled 145 last year and r not going to repeat it this time and as they said they will call students for interviews till april...
again we got almost an hour of tour to different departments by a 3rd yr DDS student and had a chance to have a lunch in nyu caffeteria with some 2nd and 3rd yr students,where we can ask them whats really happening in collage and the current student's review for the collage...
If I miss anything I am requesting all the people who gets done with their interviews to write here in this thread to make it more informative for those who need r having the interview in the upcoming days...

Wisdom Tooth

thnx a lot wisdom tooth.. it was really very informative...lookin forward for more such replies.... nd hey...somethin related to dentistry....what was ur answer for the syncope question??