Interview for a staff pharmacist position in a rural Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImmunoglobulinE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. So I got an interview for a staff Pharmacist position in a rural area. The hospital is a 60 bed acute care facility that use Meditech.

The role involves basic staff Pharmacist roles and clinical duties (vancomycin dosing, pharmacokinetics etc). I would like to get advice on how to beat prepare for the interview. I’m a new grad who just graduated this year and I have zero experience in the hospital setting (only APPEs ) . I have worked retail and LTC as an intern. Let me know if you ll need any more info to make a comprehensive suggestion.

Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just be ready to prove yourself competent in any number of clinical scenarios. Vancomycin dosing in the context of any interactions, renal impairment, etc. Be aware of appropriate dosing for common hospital meds, renal impairment dosing. Good luck!

Will you possibly be counseling patients upon discharge? Might be worth brushing up on those skills. If someone has 10 meds, how do you train the patient (and family, if applicable) and have them remember meaningful information?

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed at a hospital and LTC, they didn't ask any clinical questions. Just general scenario type questions. Name a situation where you had to prioritize tasks and how you did it, name a time you didn't get along with a colleague and how you resolved it, name a time you didn't know how to do something and what you did to figure it out, what do you do to get techs to listen to you, etc. So I would prepare for these as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just be ready to prove yourself competent in any number of clinical scenarios. Vancomycin dosing in the context of any interactions, renal impairment, etc. Be aware of appropriate dosing for common hospital meds, renal impairment dosing. Good luck!

Will you possibly be counseling patients upon discharge? Might be worth brushing up on those skills. If someone has 10 meds, how do you train the patient (and family, if applicable) and have them remember meaningful information?

They didn't go into the specifics I am hoping to get more information during the interview. But thank you so much for the help. Its a Phone interview first before the onsite. So I am hoping for the best.

When I interviewed at a hospital and LTC, they didn't ask any clinical questions. Just general scenario type questions. Name a situation where you had to prioritize tasks and how you did it, name a time you didn't get along with a colleague and how you resolved it, name a time you didn't know how to do something and what you did to figure it out, what do you do to get techs to listen to you, etc. So I would prepare for these as well.

Thank you very much. Pretty much be prepared for generic situational questions got it. Did they ask anything about clinical interventions you did before?

Thank you very much. Pretty much be prepared for generic situational questions got it. Did they ask anything about clinical interventions you did before?

My experience is very limited but I've never been asked any clinical questions in any interview. I've interviewed for 5 or so retail, 2 hospitals, one LTC. You have a PharmD so they expect you to have clinical knowledge. Anything unusual or specific to the site, they can train you on the job.

From what I gather, the interview is for them to find the right person to fit in. They are looking for someone who is good at prioritizing, problem solving, multi-tasking, works independently and well with others, communicates well, a good leader, all those soft skills.

They might ask you how comfortable are you at dosing vancomycin and aminoglycosides. Situational questions such as: how did you handle conflicts; what would you do if you are forced to do something against your believes. Be consistent with what you said on your resume. Questions shouldn’t be too hard. The worst one I heard was: what are your three weaknesses.

They might ask about clinical interventions you did before. Most likely, these small hospitals don’t even have counseling programs set up yet.

Make sure you do your research and watch your body language.

Would you recommend knowing all the vanco and aminoglycoside dosing calculations? Or just know how to dose per nomogram?

Reactions: 1 user
Would you recommend knowing all the vanco and aminoglycoside dosing calculations? Or just know how to dose per nomogram?

I wasn’t asked a single clinical question when I went from retail to hospital. I knew I would need to brush up on some clinical skills, and I explained that to them.

I would at least know the basics. Like dosed by pharmacokinetics, trough and peak, etc. When asked, one of the candidate said “you dose 1000mg daily if I remembered correctly” during our interview... I’m sure you know better than that.

My experience is very limited but I've never been asked any clinical questions in any interview. I've interviewed for 5 or so retail, 2 hospitals, one LTC. You have a PharmD so they expect you to have clinical knowledge. Anything unusual or specific to the site, they can train you on the job.

From what I gather, the interview is for them to find the right person to fit in. They are looking for someone who is good at prioritizing, problem solving, multi-tasking, works independently and well with others, communicates well, a good leader, all those soft skills.

Thank you very much for this.

They might ask you how comfortable are you at dosing vancomycin and aminoglycosides. Situational questions such as: how did you handle conflicts; what would you do if you are forced to do something against your believes. Be consistent with what you said on your resume. Questions shouldn’t be too hard. The worst one I heard was: what are your three weaknesses.

They might ask about clinical interventions you did before. Most likely, these small hospitals don’t even have counseling programs set up yet.

Make sure you do your research and watch your body language.

Thank you very much. I remember the recruiter saying that the pharmacy is centralized so as the pharmacist you ll be expected to do pretty much anything in the works of pharmacy, whether its clinical, staffing , dosing, counselling etc

Thank you I have polished myself in that area for sure especially vancomycin dosing.

I wasn’t asked a single clinical question when I went from retail to hospital. I knew I would need to brush up on some clinical skills, and I explained that to them.

Gotcha I hope the hiring manager is really that understanding since its a small hospital in a pretty undesirable area.

I would at least know the basics. Like dosed by pharmacokinetics, trough and peak, etc. When asked, one of the candidate said “you dose 1000mg daily if I remembered correctly” during our interview... I’m sure you know better than that.

Yeah I definitely know the basis. My internal medicine rotation was filled with a lot of vancomycin dosing related consults and anticoagulant dosing question. Thank you so much for your help. I'm pretty sure I won't be the candidate who doesn't know that you get the trough prior to the fourth dose.

I agree, while clinical knowledge is important, more important is that you can work well with the existing staff. Focus first on general good interviewing, being a normal friendly person, techniques. Your clinical knowledge should still be fresh, it wouldn't hurt to review standards before the interview though. If you are asked a clinical question that you aren't sure about, just say you would want to double check references or something to that effect. While that might be held against you, if other people interviewing know all the answers, it's far better than just making up an answer. Hospitals don't want pharmacists who will just do whatever comes to mind, it's better to admit you need to look something up (and then hopefully you'll remember it for next time.)