Interview for PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych2023

Reaction score
Hi! I recently received an interview for St. John's School PsyD program. I am so thrilled!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how likely you are to be accepted if you were offered an interview? I've heard mixed answers from people: some say the interview is just a formality and you're already in, others say they invite way more people to interview than they have actual spots in the program. Does anyone know? How many people are really rejected after the interview?

Also, if anyone has any interview tips they want to share that would be great too
:)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I recently received an interview for St. John's School PsyD program. I am so thrilled!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how likely you are to be accepted if you were offered an interview? I've heard mixed answers from people: some say the interview is just a formality and you're already in, others say they invite way more people to interview than they have actual spots in the program. Does anyone know? How many people are really rejected after the interview?

Also, if anyone has any interview tips they want to share that would be great too
:)

Thanks in advance!
I don’t know if anyone has actual stats, but I will say that interviews are costly in terms of time and resources and the people in these programs re busy so I don’t think they would interview much more than they let in so the odds are in your favor. 😁
As far as tips go just try and regulate and mask your anxiety. I am pretty calm person in general but the interview was very stressful and scary for me but fortunately I could keep breathing and talking nd didn’t babble too much. Being able to articulate during a stressful situation is key. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know if anyone has actual stats, but I will say that interviews are costly in terms of time and resources and the people in these programs re busy so I don’t think they would interview much more than they let in so the odds are in your favor. 😁
As far as tips go just try and regulate and mask your anxiety. I am pretty calm person in general but the interview was very stressful and scary for me but fortunately I could keep breathing and talking nd didn’t babble too much. Being able to articulate during a stressful situation is key. Good luck.
I would also say to be yourself. Yes, you should be professional, but that means be the professional version of your true personality, not some other fake person. Being yourself helps with fit and your competitiveness. They already know your professional aptitude and goals from your CV, LORs, etc. They want to see you as a person so they can determine if you fit well with the lab and program. It also helps you determine how the program and people fit with you. I know the process is so hard and competitive that people are desperate to get into any program, but it's important to not get stuck in a program and/or with people you hate.