Interview guidance!!.Big time help needed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

int2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people ,

I am looking for some real guidance!
I received an interview call from one of the clinical programs I applied too. However in my SOP and in my application I mentioned interest in working with two professors( both have different areas of research). Now shall I assume that the beacause only of them called me for interview so the other one has rejected my application?

Also what should I speak in the interview about my case ....

Please help

Members don't see this ad.

Now shall I assume that the beacause only of them called me for interview so the other one has rejected my application?
maybe not rejected but the person calling doesnt really care about the other faculty member you wrote about. So, outline how your interests align with the person on the other end of the phone.
Also what should I speak in the interview about my case ....
if I understand correctly, you are asking for general advice. You should practice interviewing and talk this over with whomever you work with at your uni; faculty or grad student.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe not rejected but the person calling doesnt really care about the other faculty member you wrote about. So, outline how your interests align with the person on the other end of the phone.

if I understand correctly, you are asking for general advice. You should practice interviewing and talk this over with whomever you work with at your uni; faculty or grad student.

Thank you so much for your help. I have never been to such interviews before and have no idea how it works . I am trying to gather more and more information about it .

Also I was curtains to know,who all sits for the interview?. If both the professors I wanted to work with would be there, then how should I speak of my interest,?.Like I don't want to sound confused to them having two areas of interest?.
Do you have some suggestions on that ?

Thank you so much !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your help. I have never been to such interviews before and have no idea how it works . I am trying to gather more and more information about it .

Also I was curtains to know,who all sits for the interview?. If both the professors I wanted to work with would be there, then how should I speak of my interest,?.Like I don't want to sound confused to them having two areas of interest?.
Do you have some suggestions on that ?

Thank you so much !!
There is no 'one size fits all' answer about what they'll be like. When I went through interviews I had everything from 1 on 1 to 7 on 1 (professor to applicant) ratios, the later being difficult and awkward.

I'm not sure it's 'good' advice for PhD interviews, but what follows is honest. Perhaps its just my perception, but people with rounded out interests (or curiosities really, at postbac level) are good. It always worries me when I see people who 'know' exactly what they want to do. Some may; most don't. Accordingly, many people have multiple interests that have developed in their introduction to the field. They key is that they both need to be developed and supported in what you've done to get exposure to those areas (classes, labs, etc) and in what you want to do in them. Sometimes those things overlap some (e.g., I might like neuropsychology and sports psych and there is a clear common ground) and this helps make your interests into a story.

There is no 'one size fits all' answer about what they'll be like. When I went through interviews I had everything from 1 on 1 to 7 on 1 (professor to applicant) ratios, the later being difficult and awkward.

I'm not sure it's 'good' advice for PhD interviews, but what follows is honest. Perhaps its just my perception, but people with rounded out interests (or curiosities really, at postbac level) are good. It always worries me when I see people who 'know' exactly what they want to do. Some may; most don't. Accordingly, many people have multiple interests that have developed in their introduction to the field. They key is that they both need to be developed and supported in what you've done to get exposure to those areas (classes, labs, etc) and in what you want to do in them. Sometimes those things overlap some (e.g., I might like neuropsychology and sports psych and there is a clear common ground) and this helps make your interests into a story.

Thank you so much for your response.!! Helped to prepare myself in a much better way ...