interview + hair loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayaeiou

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
i have interviews coming up, but i'm losing my hair :(. in trying to make it less obvious, it looks sort of awkward and unprofessional. i'm worried that interviewers (and girls, sigh) will think negatively of it. i'm not really sure how to deal with this situation because I don't want to shave it off yet.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I have noticed that men that shave who are balding look *very* handsome. Have you tried shaving it since losing hair?

Also chin up, hair loss is a natural process and you'll notice some of your interviewers are also losing hair

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Nobody will look at this as unprofessional. You can’t help it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Itll only be unprofessional if you have a bad haircut. Balding is not unprofessional. Non issue in that regard. Girls are a different story but there are ways to alleviate it.

Bald med student here. Get over it. Go to your barber and just ask how to keep your look clean and professional. If that’s not enough, go to your PCP and get some finasteride. If that’s not enough, find a priest/rabbi/shaman.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It will make you look older, which is a benefit in your profession.

Just tell the girls its because your testosterone levels are high. :)

I'm not planning on balding, but I'll get out the buzz clippers if it does and move on with life. Got my first grey hair in my mid 30's. . . . .

Reactions: 3 users
i have interviews coming up, but i'm losing my hair :(. in trying to make it less obvious, it looks sort of awkward and unprofessional. i'm worried that interviewers (and girls, sigh) will think negatively of it. i'm not really sure how to deal with this situation because I don't want to shave it off yet.
It's life. Nobody who interviews you will care.

If women don't want you because you're bald, then these are women you do NOT want to date. BTW, I have a fair number of bald colleagues. They're all happily married, BTW.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
In my experience all my friends in their late twenties who are balding are able to grow some pretty wicked beards. Shave you're head and grow a wicked viking beard. A lot of chicks dig beards.

Reactions: 2 users
Just buzz it bro. I'm balding and the day I got my hair buzzed I got an email from Harvard encouraging me to apply. Coincidence?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Just buzz it bro. I'm balding and the day I got my hair buzzed I got an email from Harvard encouraging me to apply. Coincidence?
The secret's out everyone! Check out this one simple trick to get accepted that adcoms DON'T want you to know!!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms with the ladies: having hair is overrated; physical and social status is underrated

Interviewing as well with a slick spot on the top of my head and with a receding hairline, no issues with acceptances. No one brought it up either (rude).

Reactions: 3 users
Nearly every man I’ve dated in the past five years has had some form of hair loss, including the men younger than me (I’m 34). The most handsome man I’ve ever dated shaves his head. His hair, or lack thereof, had zero to do with his appeal. My current fling has salt and pepper hair with a fade, works well with his hairline.

Go to a barber and get a style that works *with* your balding pattern instead of trying and failing to hide it. It’s only unattractive when it’s kept long while extremely thin, such as with see through comb overs or skullets.

Women typically care about *security* when it comes to mate selection: physical, financial, and emotional - all of which you can control with healthy behaviors, a good job, and being a trustworthy companion. The security of a man’s hair follicles has very little bearing on his sex appeal. Muscles, brains, and charisma, on the other hand, are quite the trifecta. Insecurity is a buzzkill.

Good luck with your interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
Nearly every man I’ve dated in the past five years has had some form of hair loss, including the men younger than me (I’m 34). The most handsome man I’ve ever dated shaves his head. His hair, or lack thereof, had zero to do with his appeal. My current fling has salt and pepper hair with a fade, works well with his hairline.

Go to a barber and get a style that works *with* your balding pattern instead of trying and failing to hide it. It’s only unattractive when it’s kept long while extremely thin, such as with see through comb overs or skullets.

Women typically care about *security* when it comes to mate selection: physical, financial, and emotional - all of which you can control with healthy behaviors, a good job, and being a trustworthy companion. The security of a man’s hair follicles has very little bearing on his sex appeal. Muscles, brains, and charisma, on the other hand, are quite the trifecta. Insecurity is a buzzkill.

Good luck with your interviews!

^This- Balding guy here. You don’t necessarily have shave your head, but shorter always looks better with thinning hair. The worst thing you could do is comb it over and try to hide it (wish I knew this earlier).

If you’re not ready to take the plunge for a shaved head, ask your hairdresser for clippers on the side and a close scissor trim on the top!

Last edited:
Tell the school you are very aerodynamic which will allow you to respond to codes faster than students with hair.
Another option is to say that due to your physiology knowledge, you decided not to waste the calories spent on growing hair when they could be utilized opening clinics for underserved populations.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It's life. Nobody who interviews you will care.

If women don't want you because you're bald, then these are women you do NOT want to date. BTW, I have a fair number of bald colleagues. They're all happily married, BTW.

Wow you are my hero, Goro