Interview Impressions for GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These impressions are more individual based and kind of old and outdated, I had an interview at Columbia and it seemed like a decent program. I believe they have a new PC and APD now.

Interview day I believe I was interviewed by 6 or 7 faculties and met a couple of the residents.

About the program: I believe is a Solid program with an emphasis on being involved in both clinical and basic sciences research. They also have the GI Genetic and Nutrition rotations and education seminars.

Regarding advance fellowship, I really do not know much about the rate. But the Call schedule as I recall was 1:4 (When I asked the fellow).

We are talking about Columbia University NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that the match is over, I feel morally obligated to speak my mind about my interview experience at one particular program.

This was at the University of Missouri-Columbia
Now let me preface this by saying it's not a bad program, but all of it's potentially positive aspects is completely negated by the fact that the current PD is a complete utter *insert preferred expletive*

If you happen to receive an invite from this institution, feel free to DM me and I will be more than happy to tell you about my experience.

Hoping to re-invigorate this thread.... anyone from previous application cycles (or friends at the program) have impressions of New England/New York Metro area programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping we can get some new feedback on programs since we won't be able to visit them this year! But thank you to all the posters who have shared in the last years.

Can anyone tell me about the fellowship experience and reputation of the Cleveland Clinic for GI? Hard? Malignant? Are fellows happy? Does it primarily train researchers or clinicians? Or a mix of both? I am not opposed to working very hard for 3 years, but I would like my children to remember who I am.

I have an acquaintance who was there for IM residency a few years ago but no other contacts and Cleveland is a top location for personal/family reasons. I have heard that the cardiology fellowship is incredibly intense.
Thanks!

Edit to add: same question about UTSW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone tell me about the fellowship experience and reputation of the Cleveland Clinic for GI? Hard? Malignant? Are fellows happy? Does it primarily train researchers or clinicians? Or a mix of both? I am not opposed to working very hard for 3 years, but I would like my children to remember who I am.

I have an acquaintance who was there for IM residency a few years ago but no other contacts and Cleveland is a top location for personal/family reasons. I have heard that the cardiology fellowship is incredibly intense.
Thanks!

Edit to add: same question about UTSW.

CCF is a clinical program with decent research. they do have a t32 track.
-pros-
-recognized brand name-
-complex patients-
-big name faculty-
-one of the few complete GI programs with everything , IBD, Motility , LIVER , advance endoscopy , (many big name programs have one component missing or very weak , like Sinai has no motlity in the main program etc
-great benefits while presenting etc

-cons
-over suprevised - scopes get taken faster than other places
-lower fellow endosocpy numbers than other places
-lack of meaningful ercp/eus exposure for general fellows
UTSW

pros
-strong pedigree
-heavy case load
-one of the strongest liver programs in the country
-solid scoping including meaningful ercp/eus exposure
-strong basic science research in liver ,metabolism and immunology for those who are interested . Names like Will Lee , Ezra Burstein , Daniel Podolski (though he is upper management now)

cons-
-sometimes too busy with mutliple sites to cover..
-no motility
-weak ibd
-few didactics (may be a pro or con depending upon your learning style)

Can anyone comment on the fellowship experience of Hopkins for GI? Reputation? Enough scopes?
Thanks!

can someone comment on fellowship experience at Mayo, Cornell, UPMC and BIDMC. Old posts didn't like Cornell that much

thanks

I was curious if anyone else is also having trouble founding appointments for interviews. I got a call on the weekend and was half an hr late (who checks their phone Sunday evening of you haven't heard from programs in a while) and had all dates taken. What's the solution to this? Apart from checking frequently already.

Thank you, guys.