Interview Invite Etiquette Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barcu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got an interview invite for George Washington in DC on September 23rd (which I am excited about). I also applied to Georgetown but have yet to hear anything from them.

I have heard that people can call a school's admissions office and let them know you will be in the area and see if they can interview you then. Should I call Georgetown? I am hesitant because I know it's early in the cycle. I'm guessing, however, the worse thing that could happen is that they would say just to wait for an actual invite.

A couple of things to consider: I submitted my secondary on 7/26 but am still not officially "complete." Should I wait until I am complete before I call them?
Also, I know Gtown is already sending out interview invites.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

So you're basically saying you're gonna try to force them to give you an interview because it's convenient for you? What makes you so sure you'd be granted one at Georgetown anyway that you feel like it's necessary to call them and demand an interview because you'll be in town?

I'd wait a little while then call and say you'll be in the area and that you'd appreciate it if they'd consider your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're basically saying you're gonna try to force them to give you an interview because it's convenient for you? What makes you so sure you'd be granted one at Georgetown anyway that you feel like it's necessary to call them and demand an interview because you'll be in town?

^^Kind of harsh...

I have heard that people do this as well, but I think they do it a little later in the cycle. I would say that calling this early for an interview invite, especially since you are not complete, may be risky, but the worst that can happen is they say “no” flat out and are so offended that they will not invite you for an interview this cycle. I think a formal letter would be much better than a phone call personally, that way you can write the letter in a way that is humble and not so straight forward as "I feel that you were going to interview me anyway, why not now at my convenience".

Why not wait until late august/early sept to give them a ring? Many schools give about 3 weeks notice for interviews so that shouldn't seem too odd at that time. And if they contact you before then for an interview just politely ask if it could be scheduled around your other interview dates. I've heard many schools are very cool about this type of situation.

Calm down a bit. I am not trying to force them to do anything. I posed this question because I have heard that it has been done as a way to combat costs. I have seen people on this site and other sites mention this as an option.

I am not sure if I will even get an invite at the school. I was simply asking a question. I would not expect them to grant me an interview, and if they told me to wait and hear from them, then I would gladly do that.

And thank you everyone else for your advice.

I think it will be good to just wait for now. Maybe I will hear something from them (good or bad) in the next month or so.

Just remember to mind your P's and Q's and don't dig your own grave with your own knife and fork.

This is just IMVHO though

I'm getting the vibe that it's not a great idea, so I will definitely just sit tight.

That's why I'm glad SDN exists. Thanks everyone!