Interview invite sent, then revoked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fngerscrossed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview offer, and shortly after was sent an email telling me to disregard the invitation as it was an error. I can't help but wonder if this was a clerical error, or did they notice a problem with my application after sending the invite. Is this normal etiquette for programs?

Would you contact them? Or just let it go?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview offer, and shortly after was sent an email telling me to disregard the invitation as it was an error. I can't help but wonder if this was a clerical error, or did they notice a problem with my application after sending the invite. Is this normal etiquette for programs?

At this point, probably a clerical error. Happens all the time. You could get your cranky pants on I suppose, or you could just roll with it.

Reactions: 2 users

It's not normal but accidents do happen. I actually sent an invitation out in error--I thought I was looking at the "approved" list when I was actually in the "under review" list. I felt awful. Fortunately for me, the approval came so there was no harm, no foul, and the applicant doesn't know. If you choose to contact the program, be gracious. Express continued interest and say that you hope an invitation will be forthcoming. Then let it go.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. With an electronic system like this, it's easy to make a mistake. In fact, it's easy to invite every single applicant by mistake.

My program has revoked interview offers because the applicant was extremely unprofessional in their correspondent with both myself and leadership.

But, in this case I think it is probably clerical error.