Interview/Match Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supinator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any new information about Texas Tech? Trying to decide if I should keep my interview with them given that they are outside of the match. Would I take a spot if they offered it and drop out of the match? I can't honestly answer that question for myself right now. With the information that I have about them they certainly wouldn't be at the bottom of my rank list, but they probably wouldn't be my first choice either. But the match makes me nervous, despite having more than 10 interviews. What would you guys/gals do? Or what are you doing? Any insights? Anyone else dealing with this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

thats a good question. I am having that same debate myself. I have interviewed at 6 programs in the match and have 3 more scheduled in the match. Texas Tech, being outside of the match makes it difficult. In my email accepting the interview, I asked her how many they planned on interviewing so I can get a better feeling, she did not respond. If they are interviewing more than 10 per spot, I would say it is not worth the expense and vacation days for me. however the potential of getting a spot and saving money on any interviews after, plays a role as well. A big question in how many of the 10 would you take over texas tech? if its 3-4 or more, than I would not take it if I were you. For myself Texas tech would probably be on top of my list (if it were in the match), so Im probably going to go to interview. I wish we had information of how many they planned to interview and how many Texas tech anesthesia residents are applying this batch.

Members don't see this ad :)
They only have 4 anesthesia residents a year and you would assume they would take one of them and have two for the field.

I've asked a good number of PDs regarding the N they are interviewing. It is disheartening to hear 10 to 1 ratios so common

many of these programs are interviewing for 1-3 spots. And considering that most people I have spoken with have gotten multiple interview offers, I am inclined to think that a decent offer would be very hard to turn down.

bird in the hand

You haven't even interviewed with them yet and you're worried about rejecting them when they offer you a spot outside the match?

That's like getting a girl's phone number and then worrying she'd want an expensive wedding.

I mean really, wow.

Dude, it isn't cheap nor easy to fit all these interviews in (getting time off, getting resident coverage, etc). Trying to be somewhat strategic about the process. Figured there would be other people in my shoes that could offer advice or say what they were doing. Doesn't seem like such a "wow" to me. Not like we can all go on 15 interviews.

I agree with the posters above. It becomes difficult for the applicant when a program with 2-3 spots, already has several internal applicants interested, gives you interview and also interviews 40 other people as well.....do we goto interview or skip it because chances are so low. It's easy to go when it is down the street, but often times we have to buy a flights, book a hotel, rent a car, use vacation days, and find coverage.

agreed with last two post. a better analogy is should i ask this girl out that i know will not put out when i barely have any money for dinner/movies.

I am broke now. when i interviewed at UC irvine, they said they were interviewing 50 people for 2 spots. 1 spot for anesthesia and 1 for pm&r. and of those 50, I am sure there are some internal candidates that have a leg up on the rest. looking in hindsight I wish I never went to that interview.

if you get an offer from texas tech and you now know you will turn it down for the match, then I think it is pointless to even go to the interview.

If you can afford it, the experience is invaluable though.

The more you interview ( like the more you do a procedure) the more comfortable you are.

When I used to interview, how someone reacted to a difficult situation definitely swayed my opinion of their future employability

Seems like a pretty dumb question when you break it down

Scenerio 1) You have so many interviews (7+) that it's really hard to make them all b/c of the time and money involved in going. In this situation you will likely match so don't worry about Texas Tech

Scenerio 2) You have only a few interviews (<5) and you need to interview everywhere to get the best chance to match. In this case you should have the time and $$ to interview so it shouldn't be an issue

Interviewing for 1 place just isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Cost of flight/hotel and transportation ~$400-500. You spent 150k+ on your med school and you will be making >200k/yr when out. Suck it up and go on the extra interview if you need it to match.

It's not a stupid question, but the match/outside match issue doesn't change things that much: I interviewed at places I didn't want to go, and places that I didn't think would take me, when I was going for residency. I've interviewed candidates who clearly weren't interested in my institution and were treating it as a safety school; I don't hold it against them, I'd do the same.

From the perspective of sheer logic, you should first decide if you'd even want to go to Texas Tech for fellowship -- if so, then go visit, if not, don't. I know that some of their big names are semi-retired and I don't have a good sense of where things stand with them now, but you'll probably find out if you go see. I also think people underestimate the importance of fit with a program -- I am very familiar with two pain fellowships in my area, one is extremely focused on anesthesiology and advanced procedures, one is very focused on interdisciplinary care and translational research. Your chances of getting into either one really depend on who you are, and if you fit their expectations of what a fellow is. If you can figure this out about Texas Tech now, by talking to faculty or alumni, you'll probably know whether you even stand a chance there.

Also: If you have some friends in the business, maybe ask them how competitive they think you are as a candidate -- everybody is above average these days, but you can probably figure out if you're a Hyundai or a Lexus.