Interview offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fable

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

When do programs stop sending out interview invitation? From browsing threads from years past, it appears that it is already getting rather late in the season. there are still a few programs I want to hear from....can anyone give me some hope? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

there is still some communication in January but usually it is openings on wait lists.

Does getting an interview off of the waiting list put you at a disadvantage to other people who got initial invites? Am i already starting out in the bottom half of the rank list based on the fact that i did not get an initial invite from a program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not as bad as you would think. Remember, there are anecdotes of people who got rejected then requesting to be looked at, and then matching there. You never know.

Does getting an interview off of the waiting list put you at a disadvantage to other people who got initial invites? Am i already starting out in the bottom half of the rank list based on the fact that i did not get an initial invite from a program?

I don't think so. I think that once you have an interview, you have an interview, and your chance is just as good as anyone else who gets an interview.

I don't think so. I think that once you have an interview, you have an interview, and your chance is just as good as anyone else who gets an interview.

Agreed! The PD doesnt remember if you were waitlisted they just see who comes thru the door. Now If you make a good impression during your interview then great but common sense would dictate that if you made an avg impression you would be below avg overall cause something on paper made them not flat out invite you.

Hi -

When do programs stop sending out interview invitation? From browsing threads from years past, it appears that it is already getting rather late in the season. there are still a few programs I want to hear from....can anyone give me some hope? :oops:

There is definatley hope. I just got an interview today.
ncc

Don't worry about when you received the interview request. After you have gotten your foot in the door, much of the playing field levels out and if you shine at your interview you will have some advantage over others who received an interview in November or early December. In EM so much has to do with whether people at a program feel they can work with you during your residency years, i.e. your personality, so who cares (and no one even remembers) how or when you got the invite. Good luck!

one last thing...if you are concerned because there's a place you'd like to hear from still, there is no harm in emailing or calling them. One of my assistant program directors doesn't think it hurts and I believe at least one person on this site landed an interview at GW partly because of a persistent email or phone call.

Well I just cancelled 3 more programs today (loma linda, UCSD, Harbor) and I'm sure more people are doing the same. So spots are opening up. I've heard you should give them a call around the beginning of Jan if you haven't heard and still want to interview.

Well I just cancelled 3 more programs today (loma linda, UCSD, Harbor) and I'm sure more people are doing the same. So spots are opening up. I've heard you should give them a call around the beginning of Jan if you haven't heard and still want to interview.