Interview Outfit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A8711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have my first interview coming up and I have no idea what to wear? I was thinking a skirt suit? Any tips would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely would go with the skirt suit. I was going to do a dress with a blazer but I'm glad I didn't. I've seen some girls do the dress but it just didn't look appropriate. Kinda trashy looking for a few girls I've seen. I've also seen some girls wear LEGGINGS to their interview. Please don't do this. For the sake of humanity.

I guess my point is: skirt suit. Pants are cool too. Just make sure whatever you choose fits properly.

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1410740438.939790.jpg

Someone needs to wear this. Seriously.

A girl at my Minnesota interview had red shoes with her blue ish pants , it fit nicely. To be honest i usually see girls nicely dressed. My only observation is that very very very few of those girls actually do their hair. Most of them I have seen , look like they just woke up. Just my 0.02. People can tell when you don't do your hair , or don't shower. At my undergrad I always saw kids with their hair sticking up In the back , and I was like " no shower today huh ?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A girl at my Minnesota interview had red shoes with her blue ish pants , it fit nicely. To be honest i usually see girls nicely dressed. My only observation is that very very very few of those girls actually do their hair. Most of them I have seen , look like they just woke up. Just my 0.02. People can tell when you don't do your hair , or don't shower. At my undergrad I always saw kids with their hair sticking up In the back , and I was like " no shower today huh ?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen to that! Way to get all fancy then throw in a ponytail.

I've been wearing a black dress and blazer combo. It works because when it is hot (e.g. my interview on 9/5 in NY), I could take the blazer off during the tour and lunch (my dress has cap sleeves). I was originally planning on wearing a skirt suit, but I decided against it because I would have to leave the blazer on all day and I just think there is too many articles of clothing for my body shape. I also wear low stilettos (pointy toes, about 3 in), and I've been curling my long hair and pulling it back into a half up-half down style.

I've been noticing that many girls don't think about their interview bag until the big day. My black bag is exactly big enough to fit the folder and papers that are given to the applicants. It is also structured enough to sit on the floor by itself (i.e. not a Longchamp bag that many girls use...). But, hey, maybe that's just my own pet peeve.