Interview Question-Asking Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sugoi Travis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've recently received an interview invite to my #1 school of choice and I'm thinking about the questions that, if I'm given the opportunity, I would ask the interviewers. The only issue I have is giving interviewers the impression that I'm already shoe-in into the school; above all else, I'd hate for that to happen. Would anyone mind sharing their experiences in interview question-asking etiquette?

Honestly, the only question I feel I can safely ask is "is there a good possibility of securing an internship during the school year." I don't know if I'm being paranoid when I think that asking them about networking, the layout of the classes/labs/schedule etc etc, is a bad thing.

Lastly, how does rescinding an acceptance work with regards to pharmacy school acceptances? This is purely for curiosity's sake; I am not implying that I can smash the interview and get a spot in the school because honestly, anything can happen.

Members don't see this ad.

All I did was ask what they were involved with (research, internships, rotations, residency, etc.)

How can you safely ask if you can get an internship during the school year if you're afraid of looking like a shoe-in? You run into the same problem. Just ask whatever you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not take questions regarding prospective endeavors at my school as arrogance or feeling you are a "shoe-in." On the contrary, it shows you are genuinely interested in what _____ school of pharmacy has to offer their students.

You should go into any interview with the attitude of "what does your program have to offer ME."

I would not take questions regarding prospective endeavors at my school as arrogance or feeling you are a "shoe-in." On the contrary, it shows you are genuinely interested in what _____ school of pharmacy has to offer their students.

You should go into any interview with the attitude of "what does your program have to offer ME."

I agree. Definitely ask program specific questions that show you are interested in their school...they invited you because you are competitive and they expect that you will be interviewing at other programs. Asking them specific questions shows that you are giving active consideration to attending there... If you don't ask them, they might think that you are just going through the motions at their interview because that school is not your top choice.

I would scrap the internship question too because how it works is: you will end up doing IPPE/APPE hours set up by the school and any outside internship you will end up finding on your own.

I agree with the two posts above. It's not a very creative or thoughtful question, however.

I would scrap the internship question too because how it works is: you will end up doing IPPE/APPE hours set up by the school and any outside internship you will end up finding on your own.

On the contrary, It's actually a very appropriate question. Some students prefer working outside of their rotations whether it's money or experience they want. Asking current students how they obtained internships or how the local job market is to their school's students would be a good factor to consider.

You're all making this much more complicated than it really should be.

On the contrary, It's actually a very appropriate question. Some students prefer working outside of their rotations whether it's money or experience they want. Asking current students how they obtained internships or how the local job market is to their school's students has a role in hiring.

Yes, if you frame it that way it is appropriate. As previously stated, it would come off kind of like you hadn't done your hw on how it works and expect the school to set up internships for you (well, maybe not as I re-read it but that was my initial impression).

Yes, if you frame it that way it is appropriate. As previously stated, it would come off kind of like you hadn't done your hw on how it works and expect the school to set up internships for you.

Speaking as someone who's sat on both sides of a pharmacy interview, I'll let you know that when we ask if you have any questions for us, it's not a "gotcha" moment to see who has done their "homework" or not.

I can only speak regarding my school though, so YMMV.

You're all making this much more complicated than it really should be.

I'm going to assume you didn't put much thought into your response.

Please explain to us how the posters here are making things more complicated. Honestly, the stuff here is pretty crystal clear to me.

I'm going to assume you didn't put much thought into your response.

Please explain to us how the posters here are making things more complicated. Honestly, the stuff here is pretty crystal clear to me.

I put plenty of thought into but you're being ticky tacky and overly paranoid with what you're going to ask. If you're scared to ask something then don't ask it. You're there to learn about the school and what they have to offer not play mind chess with the interviewers during that portion of the interview.