Interview Question: Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nathanf373

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am interviewing next week and am concerned that my MCAT is the weak spot in my application--it's much lower than the school's average. However, I only took the MCAT once. With that being said, I can speak of how I've grown in the sense of managing test anxiety and succeeding well in the semester, but I haven't retaken it; is this a bad look? I don't think I would've gotten an interview if this was a show-stopper, but I also want to acknowledge that the exam isn't indicative of my abilities or passion to go into medicine--just worried that the fact I haven't retaken will overshadow this statement.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right- you wouldn't have gotten an interview if they thought your mcat meant you couldn't succeed in medical school. I think your answer about growing past test anxiety sounds fine, but I would honestly be surprised if they asked you about it- the purpose of an interview is to get to know you better, and I don't see how discussing your stats would help them do that. I think anyone can understand that the mcat is expensive and a big time commitment, so it is not as easy as just taking it again.

Reactions: 1 users
They may ask, they may not (I've had 3 interviewers ask about my low GPA). Just be honest. Be assertive and provide any helpful context in a way that is not just making excuses. It is not a huge deal. They may just be curious to know if there is any more context (and it's okay if there is not)

Don’t bring up a negative aspect of your app. Your answer is fine if they do ask you directly about it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users