Interview question - what did you learn from this experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minniemo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm on the interview circuit for a CAP fellowship and I get asked this question a lot "what did you learn from CAP rotation/experience?" Can someone help me generate a meaningful answer? Am I expected to say something like "There was this kid I saw with... and that taught me the importance of listening or this intrigued me and made me want to understand mood disorders better etc." I'm blanking out with this one so any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. In the end, they really just want to see how you interact during an interview, how thoughtful you are, and if you're someone they could work with. Leading into subjects that you mentioned above sound good to me. You could also start mentioning any personal insights you gained from some of your experiences. For example, did you have any new perspectives on kids or their parents? Was there something that happened that made you, or confirmed, your pursuit of a child fellowship?

So, I'm on the interview circuit for a CAP fellowship and I get asked this question a lot "what did you learn from CAP rotation/experience?" Can someone help me generate a meaningful answer? Am I expected to say something like "There was this kid I saw with... and that taught me the importance of listening or this intrigued me and made me want to understand mood disorders better etc." I'm blanking out with this one so any advice would be great!

The best answer would be to describe what you learned from your CAP rotation. Why do you need help coming up with a better story?

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the answer is "...that I still wanted to be a child psychiatrist" (hopefully with a couple of reasons why), that will probably be sufficient. :)

[Saying this because my answer would have been firmly in the negative!]

Atsai, to answer your question - I was not sure if my answer was cogent, met expectations etc when I tried style one. I was wondering if I should be doing something different. But looks like my answer was acceptable. Thanks everyone!