Interview -Res vs Clini ( how to understand the program's orientation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vib87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I have been having a hard time, trying to understand the scientist - practitioner model.
I have seen many school's projecting to have a balance between res and clinical both. However, I just happened to have read this program handbook of a clin psy program in a R1 University, writing something very similar like how they focus both on clinical and research !!How should I make sure, what's the actual orientation of the program.

2) How to deal with " so what others schools have you applied to?" (or something similar).

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

1) How can you "make sure"? Well, one way is to look at the kinds of jobs people have after they graduate. How many are in research based positions versus clinical positions? More research-focused programs will have more people in research jobs. You can also ask about the CVs of current students--what do they look like? What are the publication/presentation expectations (both "official" and informal?)? Are students expected to or highly encouraged to apply for grants? More research focused places will have higher responses to those questions. Basically, it's easier to ask about the research side because all students have to be trained clinically.
1.5) You can also look at the rating on the "Insider's Guide." It's an imperfect measure, but programs that are 6 or 7 are likely still a 6 or 7 and quite research focused, even if they adhere to the scientist practictioner model.
2) it's poor form to ask what other schools you have applied to, so hopefully people won't do that. But, realistically, they will, so it's useful to have an answer ready. A nice vague response is "I've applied to all scientist-practitioner programs with researchers who study _______" which is a nice vague answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, even I would check what the current students are doing and how much of them are in clinical practice or research positions.

EmotRegulation's response to the second one, is pretty much what I would say .

1) How can you "make sure"? Well, one way is to look at the kinds of jobs people have after they graduate. How many are in research based positions versus clinical positions? More research-focused programs will have more people in research jobs. You can also ask about the CVs of current students--what do they look like? What are the publication/presentation expectations (both "official" and informal?)? Are students expected to or highly encouraged to apply for grants? More research focused places will have higher responses to those questions. Basically, it's easier to ask about the research side because all students have to be trained clinically.
1.5) You can also look at the rating on the "Insider's Guide." It's an imperfect measure, but programs that are 6 or 7 are likely still a 6 or 7 and quite research focused, even if they adhere to the scientist practictioner model.
2) it's poor form to ask what other schools you have applied to, so hopefully people won't do that. But, realistically, they will, so it's useful to have an answer ready. A nice vague response is "I've applied to all scientist-practitioner programs with researchers who study _______" which is a nice vague answer.
Thank You for your help, one of the current grad student has offered to help me with any queries that I might have. Do you think its a good idea to ask her about it. I will be interviewing in the coming week .