Interview: something not on the app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If they ask that question, do you have something to say that's not on your app, I was thinking of mentioning that at the end of the day I don't just want to get into dental school for myself anymore, and that there are so many people I owe it to now, like my brother who put med school on hold for three years just so that he could work full time and bring in income when my family was having a hard time with rent and helping pay for my undergrad tuition, and I was going to an expensive university in boston. I thought this was a sincere thing I want to mention, but does it come off as a bit desperate? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can use material to answer questions that aren't on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that might sound good to you, but how will this make you a better dentist? I don't want to be blunt, but tons of people have hardship and don't really feel that they owe others by going into a certain profession. I really hope you are going into dental school for the right reasons...

If they ask that question, do you have something to say that's not on your app, I was thinking of mentioning that at the end of the day I don't just want to get into dental school for myself anymore, and that there are so many people I owe it to now, like my brother who put med school on hold for three years just so that he could work full time and bring in income when my family was having a hard time with rent and helping pay for my undergrad tuition, and I was going to an expensive university in boston. I thought this was a sincere thing I want to mention, but does it come off as a bit desperate? Thank you.
Okay, yeah I did miss your question. Your grammar and sentence structure is extremely confusing.

I think if they asks you to mention something that's not on your app, that's an okay answer. I say go for it if you feel like you can say it confidently. It'd only seem desperate depending on your demeanor.

Yeah that might sound good to you, but how will this make you a better dentist? I don't want to be blunt, but tons of people have hardship and don't really feel that they owe others by going into a certain profession. I really hope you are going into dental school for the right reasons...
Thanks, I'm looking for blunt answers. I definitely want to be a dentist, I've shadowed enough and have seen the lifestyle to know that I will put in my effort to becoming a good professional. I was just wondering if I could mention that because I am truly thankful to my family who sacrificed so much for me, especially my brother who went to Harvard and gave up med school for 3 years of his life. I'm not trying to take away from anyone else who's had a hardship but I just hope this doesn't come off as desperate and more that I was inspired by people like my brother.

Okay, yeah I did miss your question. Your grammar and sentence structure is extremely confusing.

I think if they asks you to mention something that's not on your app, that's an okay answer. I say go for it if you feel like you can say it confidently. It'd only seem desperate depending on your demeanor.
LOL yea I just reread it and my sentence sucks pretty bad haha. I tend to just go on a rant in forums (I was less cryptic in my personal statement loll). Thanks for your response

Thanks, I'm looking for blunt answers. I definitely want to be a dentist, I've shadowed enough and have seen the lifestyle to know that I will put in my effort to becoming a good professional. I was just wondering if I could mention that because I am truly thankful to my family who sacrificed so much for me, especially my brother who went to Harvard and gave up med school for 3 years of his life. I'm not trying to take away from anyone else who's had a hardship but I just hope this doesn't come off as desperate and more that I was inspired by people like my brother.

Explaining it like this is a helluva lot better than what you did in the first paragraph.

Reactions: 1 user