Interview suit - jacket and pants do not match exactly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkwalk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want some opinion from folks here about wearing a suit that the jacket does not matching the pants exactly to an interview. They are very close, but the pants are a little different. In bright light, if you look close you can tell, but at dimmer situations, you can't really tell. Is this tacky? Should I get a new suit? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Darkwalk, imo you will be self conscious. You may be thinking does anyone know I'm not wearing a suit that matches, and it may make you feel less confident. During your four years at dental school you will need a suit. So, even though it is an expense that many cannot afford now, I believe that it is a necessary investment you must make to insure your success. Find a Marshalls or TJMax, Target, go to a second hand shop or good will. I am from Maryland too, there is are many stores in Rockville, Montgomery County where you can find deep discounts. I would do it.

Macys have suits on clearance for under $100

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. My credit card bill will be huge again this month.

For the benefit of someone who hasn't worn a suit very often, there are a few "rules":

When you buy the suit, it will have some tags sewn on to the sleeve that should be removed. If you havent purchased a suit (or if it's been a while), you should be measured at the place.

If wearing a colored dress shirt, it shouldn't overpower the suit.

Buttoning the Jacket: When standing up, your jacket should be buttoned; when sitting, unbuttoned.
Most common jacket is a 3 button jacket. When buttoned, the top (and middle button sometimes) should be buttoned, but not the bottom button. I've also heard that some button the middle only. Just don't button the bottom one, it's not really meant to be buttoned.
For a jacket with 2 buttons, just the top one buttoned.

Socks are usually a darker shade of the pant color.

And don't wear cologne to the interview.

Last edited:
For the benefit of someone who hasn't worn a suit very often, there are a few "rules":

When you buy the suit, it will have some tags sewn on to the sleeve that should be removed. If you havent purchased a suit (or if it's been a while), you should be measured at the place.

If wearing a colored dress shirt, it shouldn't overpower the suit.

Buttoning the Jacket: When standing up, your jacket should be buttoned; when sitting, unbuttoned.
Most common jacket is a 3 button jacket. When buttoned, the top (and middle button sometimes) should be buttoned, but not the bottom button. I've also heard that some button the middle only. Just don't button the bottom one, it's not really meant to be buttoned.
For a jacket with 2 buttons, just the top one buttoned.

Socks are usually a darker shade of the pant color.

And don't wear cologne to the interview.

Thanks for the info. I actually didn't know about some of these until I looked them up before buying my first suit :p.

hey dark i had the same question. when i went to macys to buy a suite, i wanted to mismatch caz i didnt want to look gay in a super tight pants. but then when i asked for advice from the workers they strongly told me not to do that. every person i asked said the same thing. "then it wouldnt be a suite would it"?

Thanks. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. My credit card bill will be huge again this month.

Kohl's department store got interesting sale this coming weekend. Plus you can return them in any shape and they do not have return policy limit.

hey dark i had the same question. when i went to macys to buy a suite, i wanted to mismatch caz i didnt want to look gay in a super tight pants. but then when i asked for advice from the workers they strongly told me not to do that. every person i asked said the same thing. "then it wouldnt be a suite would it"?

Unless you have like a really fatty thighs where they giggle when you walk... then only dont buy tight pants. but other than that its the new look... Not all gay people wear tight pants you know...

Dont mismatch... and get the macys employees suggestion every single one I have met has such a great knowledge and experience and they are really fast at finding things, just make sure to state your budget before they start looking for you.

If you are lucky enough to have Zara's near by in any of the mall's I strongly suggest that you go in and check out their suits. They have the entire set ie. tie, pants, shirt and suite on ONE HANGER :) and if you are fit or skinny they always fit nice.

Goodview or some of the thrift stores often have used and good sets of suits for something less than 20 bucks. Check it out, folks.

[B said:
And don't wear cologne to the interview[/B].
great advice regarding cologne and that goes for gals as well (no perfume) - aromatheraphy is just about the last thing adcom needs ....:)

Darkwalk, imo you will be self conscious. You may be thinking does anyone know I'm not wearing a suit that matches, and it may make you feel less confident. During your four years at dental school you will need a suit. So, even though it is an expense that many cannot afford now, I believe that it is a necessary investment you must make to insure your success. Find a Marshalls or TJMax, Target, go to a second hand shop or good will. I am from Maryland too, there is are many stores in Rockville, Montgomery County where you can find deep discounts. I would do it.

This is not a true statement. The only time you have to wear a suit is for the interview and even that is questionable. I know lost of my classmates wore a sport coat and it actually helped them stand out. If you have ever been to an interview you will notice it is a commonly joked about topic of here comes the funeral precession with everyone in dark suits. Don't wast money on a new suit, if it is a close match your good to go save the money for all the other expenses that come during dental school after you get in. Once you get into school everyone dresses business casual or some school even in scrubs. IF you need to be more dressed up and again that is IF, you will wear your WHITE COAT not a suit. So don't worry about it, just a waste of money.

Last edited:
This is not a true statement. The only time you have to wear a suit is for the interview and even that is questionable. I know lost of my classmates wore a sport coat and it actually helped them stand out. If you have every been to an interview you will notice it is a commonly joked about topic of here comes the funeral precession with everyone in dark suits. Don't wast money on a new suit, if it is a close match your good to go save the money for all the other expenses that come during dental school after you get in. Once you get into school everyone dresses business casual or some school even in scrubs. IF you need to be more dressed up and again that is IF, you will wear your WHITE COAT not a suit. So don't worry about it, just a waste of money.
hmmm did you happen to make that comment Monday as we walked through :laugh:

This is not a true statement. The only time you have to wear a suit is for the interview and even that is questionable. I know lost of my classmates wore a sport coat and it actually helped them stand out. If you have every been to an interview you will notice it is a commonly joked about topic of here comes the funeral precession with everyone in dark suits. Don't wast money on a new suit, if it is a close match your good to go save the money for all the other expenses that come during dental school after you get in. Once you get into school everyone dresses business casual or some school even in scrubs. IF you need to be more dressed up and again that is IF, you will wear your WHITE COAT not a suit. So don't worry about it, just a waste of money.

I don't agree that having a nice inexpensive suit is a waste of money. I think wearing a suit shows a sign of professionalism and maturity. I do agree that a nice blazer, tie, and slacks would be very appropriate if you would rather invest in that. I guess we should agree to disagree.

Kohl's department store got interesting sale this coming weekend. Plus you can return them in any shape and they do not have return policy limit.

hahaha, love it!!!!!!