Interview Tips for First Time Job Seekers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vengaaqui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone have any interview tips for first time job seekers, particularly in community practice? Would love to know what to expect, what to ask that I might not think of, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You aren't competing for an admission slot in college, med school, or residency anymore. For the first time you will be the hot commodity. This doesn't give you the right to be a jerk, but it does free you from the need to kiss ass and enables you to ask the honest direct questions which will enable you to find out if a position will be a good fit for you.

Now keep in mind that a truly sucky job may lie to get you in the door. The first job I took out of residency misrepresented quite a few things including understanding volume by about 2,000 visits a year.

What you should do first is decide where.

What I did (after ruling out all the D and F rated malpractice states on the ACEP report card-today I would add medcaid expansion states to that list) was use City-Data.Com to research the community itself. That will give you an idea if there are red flags about the specific practice environment. You can PM me if you want my list of red flags.

After that look at the charting system, nursing staff, medical staff, volume, shift length, coverage, benefits, compensation, and compensation model.

Keep in mind that as of 2017 the ACA will force employers who provide health insurance to employees to assign that a monetary value which will pass to your W2 as taxable income. You may be better off as a 1099 in this scenario.

If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them based on my experiences.