Interview Trail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cephalorectus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since people seem wary to post their interview experiences... anybody have any good stories so far on the trail?

The Good: I heard some guy got set-up with a big red Hummer for a car rental upgrade at his interview in Ann Arbor. How pimp is that?!

The Bad: Marathon interview days... what is with these eight-interview days? I'm pretty sure I have zero questions for your program's neuroophthomalogist at the end of day.

The Ugly: (hearsay) An interviewer in San Diego berates his applicants for 10 minutes and then asks, "How should I defend you to our ranking committee?"

Members don't see this ad.

8 interviews. Yieks :eek: I thought the average 4-5 interviews per day were too many. I mean it's nice to talk to a lot of faculty, but one day when each of them asked " so why do you want to do neurology?" I felt like bringing them all into one room & giving them a 5 minute speech!!

Ugly: In one program one interview asked me if my college was "approved/recognised":eek: what an Ice breaker! I mean look it up before you invite me or check that I have my ECFMG & already have step 3 done.

Otherwise it's all been soo sweet.

The hummer was actually yellow, not red.

And its really tough to see the college kiddies walking in the street in front of you when you're that high off of the ground...

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
The good: one place picked us up in a limousine to take us from the hotel to the hospital. one place took us on a tour of the city. after-dinner dessert at a resident's mansion. campus that appeared like hilton head. hotels ON the hospital campuses.

The bad: two days of interviews. not speaking to the PD but once during our 25 min interview during that two day interview. the first of the two day interview scheduled to end at 2pm but extending to 5pm after which i rush to get ready for the dinner.

The ugly: i think the bad noted above worked my nerves enough to be stated here, esp since all occurred at one program.

Good: Meeting all my future colleagues along the interview trail. before going into neuro, I was told about their flat or absent personalities. Most people I have met have been great to hang out with or maybe flat personalities just get along well together. I look forward to working with you all! Also most interviews have been relaxed and laid back with programs seeming impressed with your application and trying to sell their program to you - the reverse of my med school interview experience.

Bad: One recent interview - the P.D. decided he was finished interviewing for the day before getting to me; another interviewer also stepped out for the day, skipping his last interview with another candidate. I really wanted to like the program, it was in a great city.
:thumbdown: $500 wasted on airfare and hotel

Ugly: The price of interviewing all over the place. It would be nice if we were given a stipend or if programs could use that dinner out the night before money to put us up in a nice hotel room and hold some social event there.

good: i agree with undecided3yr. i'm so glad i'm going into neuro -- the people i met on my interview trail were awesome. the IM and other people i met on my prelim interviews, not so much. go neuro!!! :D

bad: cities with bad public transportation. i can't stand places that have bad public transportation systems.

ugly: i heard from multiple people that an applicant (not neuro) from tulane got all four wheels stolen from his/her rental car while interviewing in houston. did anyone else hear this?