Interviewer asked about acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An interviewer asked me if I had any acceptances last week and I told the truth which is that I don't have any. And I think this totally changed the mood of the interview.:confused: There was this "We'll have to reconsider how good I think you are" look on her face. Then she asked me about interviews and I only had one other one so I looked pretty bad.

Any advise on how to handle this if it comes up in the future or what I could have done differently?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

An interviewer asked me if I had any acceptances last week and I told the truth which is that I don't have any. And I think this totally changed the mood of the interview.:confused: There was this "We'll have to reconsider how good I think you are" look on her face. Then she asked me about interviews and I only had one other one so I looked pretty bad.

Any advise on how to handle this if it comes up in the future or what I could have done differently?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully schools will look at you as how good of a fit you are for their school and not someone else's.

As for how to handle it in the future... just tell the truth. If they're an MD I'm sure they know what a random process applying to medical school can be.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

To be honest that's really weird. It's only early January. A lot of schools don't even release interview decisions until March....so to be "acceptance"-less now is not necessarily an uncommon thing.

Be honest. If you don't want to answer the question you can try and dodge it or give a vague answer, but don't lie. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

or wear shoes that display your toe prowess :laugh:

You told the truth, and that's all that matters. If they choose not to accept you because of that, then it is their loss.

It sucks to get asked that. I'm not sure the best way to handle it. It does look bad to say no acceptances, the truthful answer. Might be best just to answer 'yes', and then refuse to name the individual schools. "I'd rather not discuss other schools." Yes it's a lie, but it's not a legit question to ask. Alternatively, you could admit 'no', and then provide spin. "I'm not worried because I only applied to a few schools I was really interested in, and I haven't had many interviews yet."

It sucks to get asked that. I'm not sure the best way to handle it. It does look bad to say no acceptances, the truthful answer. Might be best just to answer 'yes', and then refuse to name the individual schools. "I'd rather not discuss other schools." Yes it's a lie, but it's not a legit question to ask. Alternatively, you could admit 'no', and then provide spin. "I'm not worried because I only applied to a few schools I was really interested in, and I haven't had many interviews yet."

For that first option though, if you do get accepted to that school in Feb, it'll be able to see that you were lying right? Seems like a risky way to answer as lying could get your offer rescinded. I highly doubt they'll put two and two together, but I like the second idea of spinning the truth better than an outright lie.

dude you are FINE, they have to accept you at this point out of sympathy

I know that this question makes interviewees uncomfortable, whether answering in the positive or negative. I'm abashed to admit I've asked it as an interviewer, but only during the spring. The thing is that I've asked it for completely different motivations, depending on the situation.

Situation 1: Ask this question of an OOSer from someplace that wouldn't be expected to have a lot of interest in my home state. Motive: Trying to determine if I think this person really wants to come to cold Michigan, or if an acceptance would be better served going to someone more likely to come.

Situation 2: Ask this question of a strong candidate. Motive: If they do have other acceptances, start focusing interview more on why they should pick my school rather than why my school should pick them.

I know that this question makes interviewees uncomfortable, whether answering in the positive or negative. I'm abashed to admit I've asked it as an interviewer, but only during the spring. The thing is that I've asked it for completely different motivations, depending on the situation.

Situation 1: Ask this question of an OOSer from someplace that wouldn't be expected to have a lot of interest in my home state. Motive: Trying to determine if I think this person really wants to come to cold Michigan, or if an acceptance would be better served going to someone more likely to come.

Situation 2: Ask this question of a strong candidate. Motive: If they do have other acceptances, start focusing interview more on why they should pick my school rather than why my school should pick them.

Honest motives, but you could handle it better. Of the OOS-er why not just ask right out "Why would you be interested in coming to cold Michigan?" Of the strong candidate, why not just assume they have other acceptances, and ask them what they know about your school? Alternatively you could ask what other programs they are interested in. Then you can steer the interview toward your sales pitch.

It is just poor form to ask about other acceptances. If as in OP's case there are none, the interviewee is put into a bad spot, and you probably can't help seeing them in a more negative light. As an interviewer, you should want to base your decision on your subjective impression and objective data, not what other committees may have thought.