Interviewer's response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hpets

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinion: Say you think you have a not so great interview, but at the end of it the interviewer says "nice to meet you, i'll put in a strong word for you", do you think that's a really good sign? Or is that some misleading pleasantry interviewers tend to say... :confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

People may disagree with me but I think interview is the most annoying part in the application process:mad:
You have to miss class a lot (My GPA wil suffer a lot this sem), throw away money to be there and repeat why you wanna become a dentist over and over for heaven sake. All of the interviews i went to are so low key that its hard to tell whether i did better or "badder" then the guy next to me. So to answer ur westion, just hope for the best then.
Fortunately, im in so i dont have to fly out to those annoying interviews again. Still wait for love from the Ivies tho.

ok,, so you hella didn't answer his question.

I had the same q. I thought that my interviews went well, but at one, the interviewer said "I'm going to strongly rec. you for the program." I ended up getting in. I think 2 things. A. You probably did better than you thought and B. If the interviewer didn't mean it, I doubt he would have said anything about that at all. He could have just as easily said "it was very nice to meet you. Have a safe trip home."

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, neither did you Toni :laugh:

It depends on the person interviewing you, of course. They might be sincere, they might not. At one of my interviews they flat out told me they were looking for an applicant like me and low and behold I was accepted Dec. 1st. That might not always be the case though. I feel very, very fortunate.

thanks guys :)
just trying to calm these lovely dec 1st nerves! i wonder if anyone has gotten this phrase and got rejected...

and p.s. im a girl!

Opinion: Say you think you have a not so great interview, but at the end of it the interviewer says "nice to meet you, i'll put in a strong word for you", do you think that's a really good sign? Or is that some misleading pleasantry interviewers tend to say... :confused:

Thanks!

yea i think that's good...no one ever said that at any of my interviews and i reallly thought i screwed a couple of them up but i got into all the places i interviewed at so i think people were right when they said the interview isn't out to hurt you, they just want to make sure you're not a weirdo

ok,, so you hella didn't answer his question.

Hella = Nor Cal.

I would have to say that them saying they will put in a good word can work towards your advantage, they understand that you are under pressure, and that you maynot have had many interviews prior to this. So I think you are good, maybe not at the top of the pile but in the upper 25%.

Thanks!

i dont know if you can really take anything for granted when you walk away from an interview until you get your acceptance. keep in mind that it is usually a committee that decides your fate, not your interviewer.