Interviewing - Honesty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Severus said:
lie because Doctors lie.
btw what's your avatar?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Penelope1 said:
I haven't finished reading the thread, but this is a common misperception that I'd like to clear up. Not all women want to be lied to when they ask how they look in a dress. I for one would much rather hear that, yes, that dress makes me look twice as fat as I really am than to be assured I look great when in fact I look like a walking monstrosity in that dress. I'd rather find out gently from my husband that my outfit isn't the greatest (or even that I have been putting on weight lately) than to make a fool of myself in public. And I'd hope my husband respects me enough and is man enough to tell me the truth. In fact, even white lies would be grounds for seriously re-examining the relationship, in my opinion.

Well put Penelope! I agree completely. :thumbup:

Penelope1 said:
Sure, there are. For example, if a serial killer asks you where your boyfriend is because they're trying to kill him, you should obviously lie. More plausibly, if someone asks you a question about your private life to which your refusal to answer would imply an answer all by itself, yeah, lying is perfectly fine.

BUT the key is that these are weird or extreme situations, and they don't imply that it's okay to lie in normal contexts. In normal situations, lying never does you any good because you end up having to back up all your lies with more lies to keep them plausible and you're in constant fear of being found out. What if person A talks to person B to whom I told x? And the more and bigger lies you tell, the more you'll feel like a fraud. Why do this to yourself? This whole headache can be avoided by just living your life the way you want to so that you can be proud of what you've done. If you're happy and secure, you won't be tempted to lie, because you'll either already have achieved what you want or be confident that you can achieve it in the future.

Okay you are officially my new favorite person. I think I should just hire you to speak for me because, again, my thoughts exactly.