Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, I'm gonna take some deep breaths and try not to panic....
Is there anyone here who doesn't have any LoRs downloaded who has gotten an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
This year's thread is kicking last year's thread in the butt in terms of post speed and numbers. At this time last year it says we were only up to post #23.

And next year's thread will kick this year's thread's butt too.

yaah said:
Last year at this time I had 3 interviews and the next week or two gave me the majority of them all. Thus, prepare yourselves.

OK...you better not be sh*ttin us. You know what this means right? I'm gonna double the number of times I check ADTS on a daily basis.

This better happen man, or I'm gonna be upset and discouraged :(
Nah...just kidding...I'm aware that you were a pretty kickass applicant a year ago :)

BTW yaah, I have a few questions regarding scheduling interviews which I'll ask you at a later time. Gotta run.

Hey folks. Just wanted to add my interview to the list - JHU by e-mail. Looks like I will be crossing paths (no pun intended) with Andy. I submitted my apps on Tuesday and have one LOR, transcripts and no personal statement uploaded so far.

By the way, has anyone chosen to do just AP or CP and told programs about it? They asked what I wanted to interview for at JHU and to be honest I'm still somewhat undecided - I told them AP/CP with emphasis on CP? What the heck does that mean? Oh well.....

Members don't see this ad :)
RNA said:
Hey folks. Just wanted to add my interview to the list - JHU by e-mail. Looks like I will be crossing paths (no pun intended) with Andy. I submitted my apps on Tuesday and have one LOR, transcripts and no personal statement uploaded so far.

By the way, has anyone chosen to do just AP or CP and told programs about it? They asked what I wanted to interview for at JHU and to be honest I'm still somewhat undecided - I told them AP/CP with emphasis on CP? What the heck does that mean? Oh well.....

Ya man...that would be cool. However, it seems that at a lot of places the programs interview one person per day...unless there are like 3000 path applicants this year in which case, programs will have to double up :laugh:

Anyways, I'm interviewing there in December. How about you?

And Hopkins also asked me the AP and CP question as well. When I talked to them, I was just honest with them and said that I had recently decided to do AP only. I think they ask you if you're gonna do AP, CP, or AP/CP because they want to set you up with the appropriate interviewers when you come visit. For instance, if you're doing AP only, what function does interviewing with a CP person have, right?

sandyworks said:
Is there anyone here who doesn't have any LoRs downloaded who has gotten an interview?

I had a big fat zero under my interview column when I didn't have any LORs in the ERAS post office. It seems that all it may take to open the floodgates is that first letter.

AndyMilonakis said:
Anyways, I'm interviewing there in December. How about you?

I've scheduled for Jan. I took the month of Jan off to do interviews based on the advice of some 4th years last year and now i'm wondering if i should have taken off dec instead. If JHU is representative of other places, it seems that they like to have interviews over by Jan 14. It is going to be hard to fit all of them in during the first two weeks of Jan.

sandyworks said:

I don't have any LoRs downloaded and heard from Utah today. But that is my one and only invite so far.

RNA said:
I've scheduled for Jan. I took the month of Jan off to do interviews based on the advice of some 4th years last year and now i'm wondering if i should have taken off dec instead. If JHU is representative of other places, it seems that they like to have interviews over by Jan 14. It is going to be hard to fit all of them in during the first two weeks of Jan.

Gotcha. Well if you're interviewing at Brigham in January, I may see you there. As for me, I'm kinda spreading out my interviews. I may schedule one or two during October, and a bunch during November and January. December is tricky cuz I gots my Step twooozies that month.

deschutes (despite the name) is still dry... :(

Any IMGs out there this year?? I know last year there were a few.

I suppose I should not panic until I get canned by UMissouri (2 positions unmatched last year).

deschutes said:
deschutes (despite the name) is still dry... :(

Any IMGs out there this year?? I know last year there were a few.

I suppose I should not panic until I get canned by UMissouri (2 positions unmatched last year).

sorry to hear that...i'm pullin for ya! you'll start getting them invites.

my buddy was looking for the table which lists programs, #slots filled in the match, #filled slots. i found it before but can't find again to save my life. can you refresh my memory as to where i can obtain these stats?

AndyMilonakis said:
my buddy was looking for the table which lists programs, #slots filled in the match, #filled slots.
Scutwork.com has got them on the main page, left column.

I haven't really pored over them.
My knowing the UMissouri story? It came right from the program coordinator...

deschutes said:
Scutwork.com has got them on the main page, left column.

Thanks deschutes! I found it. Looking at the unfilled programs PDF file, a lot of those unfilled positions have gotta be CP only spots right?

Cheers.

AndyMilonakis said:
Thanks deschutes! I found it. Looking at the unfilled programs PDF file, a lot of those unfilled positions have gotta be CP only spots right?
Yup - when they do specify "CP". I have found exceptions like Loyola and Northwestern where they only list "Pathology".

Time for me to start applying to the Unmatches!

Members don't see this ad :)
RNA said:

JHU is not really representative. Most places go until at least the end of january if not until february. I did all but one of my interviews before the 20th of december, however. But that's just me. I had a couple scheduled for january that I cancelled.

i don't have any lor's in yet but i did get 2 invites via email from nyu and einstein....still waiting for the others....

stormjen said:
Okay, now I'm getting worried. I know I've gotten a couple interviews, but it seems that multiple people on here are getting offers from programs I applied to but haven't heard from. This means I missed the "first pass". They looked at my application and dismissed it as unworthy. No rejections yet at least.

Don't sweat it. Same thing happened to me. I ended up getting interviewed by every program in the end. I think they do the apps in batches. They will get to your soon enough! :)

jumping-smiley-024.gif
jumping-smiley-004.gif
UMINNESOTA BY PHONE BABEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
jumping-smiley-019.gif
jumping-smiley-012.gif

*pant pant pant*
*sits down and breathes*

Holy crap - a phone call at home at 2 o'clock on a lazy Saturday afternoon... I dread to think what might have happened if it were the housemate with the loud rock music who took the call.

deschutes said:
jumping-smiley-024.gif
jumping-smiley-004.gif
UMINNESOTA BY PHONE BABEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
jumping-smiley-019.gif
jumping-smiley-012.gif

*pant pant pant*
*sits down and breathes*

Holy crap - a phone call at home at 2 o'clock on a lazy Saturday afternoon... I dread to think what might have happened if it were the housemate with the loud rock music who took the call.

Rock on deschutes!!! I told ya you'd start getting those 'views :)

AndyMilonakis said:
Rock on deschutes!!! I told ya you'd start getting those 'views
Thankie :D You have faith enough for the both of us!
Normally, the last thing one expects on a Saturday afternoon is for one's future career/employer to come a-calling. Medicine is wacky, period.

At least now I know I don't suck!

Y'know what was really cool? I was told that one of their current residents has the same sort of background that I do in terms of travel history. I was also told not to sell off my hockey equipment just yet... If they sound more interested in me than they really are, I'm falling for it! :laugh:

P.S. I did apply for UMich and Cleveland... dunno why I left those two off my list.

deschutes said:
Thankie :D You have faith enough for the both of us!
Normally, the last thing one expects on a Saturday afternoon is for one's future career/employer to come a-calling. Medicine is wacky, period.

Deschutes you seem like someone who will do well in the interview (you'd be amazed at how many people don't do well). I think you'll knock 'em dead.

UNC by snail mail

Vanderbilt and Emory by email

The only 2 places that have mentioned a free hotel stay are also the only 2 cities I have people to stay with already :laugh:

Still trying to decide on the drive vs. fly thing. Guess I'll drive as much as possible. Although by the time I put new tires on + the extra motel stays it may end up not being that much cheaper.

yaah said:
Deschutes you seem like someone who will do well in the interview (you'd be amazed at how many people don't do well). I think you'll knock 'em dead.
WOW. *blink* Such unheralded attention! I feel like I've just been handed the Gold-Leaf Scroll of Yaah!

Thanks, you guys. And yaah, in case there was any doubt, I am a great fan of yours too! :p

•[addendum]I just realized the enormity of my situation. I have 3rd/final year rotations packed back-to-back till April. I'm only allowed 8 days off per rotation for interviews. And somewhere in there I'm supposed to take Step 2.

This is going to be a very expensive touch-and-go endeavour.

Any of the current residents have an opinion as to whether October is too early to interview?

Yale by e-mail.

Anyone live in New Haven that can share some thoughts about the area?

Vanderbilt rejection by email. Meanies! :mad:

stormjen said:
Vanderbilt rejection by email. Meanies!

Sorry to hear about the news from Vanderbilt. They didn't fill last year...it's their loss they ain't interviewing you. It seems like you have quite a few interviews already so be proud :)

Smitty said:
UNC by snail mail

Vanderbilt and Emory by email

The only 2 places that have mentioned a free hotel stay are also the only 2 cities I have people to stay with already :laugh:

Still trying to decide on the drive vs. fly thing. Guess I'll drive as much as possible. Although by the time I put new tires on + the extra motel stays it may end up not being that much cheaper.

Yeah Smitty, I just got home and saw the letter from UNC waiting in my mailbox. The letter said that they defray the cost of one night in the hotel...sweet. Vanderbilt told me that too today when I scheduled over the phone...sweet. I dunno what Emory will do. I didn't ask when I scheduled that one over the phone; I didn't wanna sound pushy or rude.

AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah Smitty, I just got home and saw the letter from UNC waiting in my mailbox. The letter said that they defray the cost of one night in the hotel...sweet. Vanderbilt told me that too today when I scheduled over the phone...sweet. I dunno what Emory will do. I didn't ask when I scheduled that one over the phone; I didn't wanna sound pushy or rude.

lol I know a guy who interviewed at Vanderbilt last year and they told him that they usually rank people a little more competitive than him....

well, looks like he shouldda told them he usually ranks programs a little more competitive than them!!!!

i heard Vandy sucks....they will work you to death!!!!

good luck though dude....who knows maybe they will change...

This cat didn't even apply there though but I am sure if I did I would have a big fat R coming to me in the mail...if they even bothered lol

Thrombus said:
lol I know a guy who interviewed at Vanderbilt last year and they told him that they usually rank people a little more competitive than him....
well, looks like he shouldda told them he usually ranks programs a little more competitive than them!!!!
i heard Vandy sucks....they will work you to death!!!!
good luck though dude....who knows maybe they will change...

LOL Thrombus, that's funny stuff. You're the 3rd person on the forums to say vandy works you to death. Looks like I'll be aggressively pursuing this issue when I go visit. Thanks for the well wishes...I was lucky during my PhD years...I hope I'll encounter some luck during the interview trail.

Anyone hear from the Big 3 in NYC (Columbia, Cornell, or Mt. Sinai)? These are pretty much the only programs I'm looking at in NYC, but that is where I want to be. So...... I'm getting kinda nervous!

Zoloft said:
Anyone hear from the Big 3 in NYC (Columbia, Cornell, or Mt. Sinai)? These are pretty much the only programs I'm looking at in NYC, but that is where I want to be. So...... I'm getting kinda nervous!

I applied to Cornell but not the other two. Cornell has downloaded my stuff. Still no word from them. I'm sure that if someone on SDN got a Cornell invite, he/she would post it here...then get nervous :) No need to get nervous now.

stormjen said:
Vanderbilt rejection by email. Meanies! :mad:

i think riirii had the right idea last year. i believe his response was "fools!". hang in there, you'll probably get better offers anyway. :)

I've heard the same thing about Vanderbilt many times. Doesn't really make me look foward to going there, but I guess I'll check it out for myself.

Ohio State by email. I've read a little about them by searching the threads; anybody have any additional comments on the program? How different than Cleveland Clinic or Case Western?

US-IMG with zero - yes zero invites...and zero rejections. Still no LOR's posted. Watching ADTS frantically...

Smitty said:
I've heard the same thing about Vanderbilt many times. Doesn't really make me look foward to going there, but I guess I'll check it out for myself.

Ohio State by email. I've read a little about them by searching the threads; anybody have any additional comments on the program? How different than Cleveland Clinic or Case Western?

Hey there, I rotated in a hospital path dept with a bunch of Cleveland Clinic path alums. They all said wonderful things about the program and encouraged me to apply there. Some people say it's the best path program in Ohio. About OSU, I know they've restructured some things lately. I hear they work a lot of hours. One pathologist said the only path program worth going to in Ohio is Cleveland Clinic. He of course went there, however, so he's a bit biased. I know all of this is vague and largely unhelpful, but I thought I'd let you know. Best of luck to you. I'm just waiting for my Vandy rejection to roll in any day now. :)

Cleveland Clinic by email today.
In an unexpected move (from hearing yaah's frustration last year regarding this issue), Michigan downloaded my stuff today. Now only UCLA remains as the one program who has completely ignored my application.

This only feeds the ADTS addiction. I've checked 417 times today.

OK, so I've been a passive observer for the past many months and finally decided to throw my hat into the ring! Congrats to all who have been rackin' up the interviews.
Applied last Monday, 9/20 and have 3/4 recs in (shock of shocks!)
Thought I would share my list and my smaller list of successes thus far......

1. Yale (invite last week by e-mail)
2. Brown
3. BIDMC (invite last week by e-mail)
4. MGH
5. BU
6. Dartmouth
7. GWUMC (invite today by e-mail)
8. Penn
9. Jeff
10. Columbia
11. Cornell
12. Mt Sinai
13. Einstein
14. Cedars-Sinai
15. UCLA
16. USC-LAC

I never thought I would succumb to the OCD-like ADTS checking behavior, but it's happened! :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
Michigan downloaded my stuff today.
I saw that, I checked ADTS and I swore (I don't know why).

I never check ADTS unless something interesting happens here.
The Mich move was definitely interesting after last year's story!

I still have 2 holdouts (Wayne in Detroit and UMass) out of my 22. Think I'll sit tight on my credit card for a bit.

~
As for LORs, I did what I said I would do - I picked the best 3 out of 4, sent those in, waited a week or two after they had collected, and then sent the 4th in. Sort of a "hey guys, over here!" reminder.

Who knows if it makes any difference - UMN offered before the 4th was in. :rolleyes:

deschutes said:
I never check ADTS unless something interesting happens here.
The Mich move was definitely interesting after last year's story!

I still have 2 holdouts (Wayne in Detroit and UMass) out of my 22. Think I'll sit tight on my credit card for a bit.

Funny, at Michigan they switched who is responsible for downloading info. Last year the PD did it himself, and just waited until November. This year the secretary is doing it so she can start compiling info earlier. So, I don't think anyone will change, they will probably still wait until november. But who knows. It's a weird and wild world.

cjw0918 said:
About OSU, I know they've restructured some things lately. I hear they work a lot of hours. One pathologist said the only path program worth going to in Ohio is Cleveland Clinic. He of course went there, however, so he's a bit biased. I know all of this is vague and largely unhelpful, but I thought I'd let you know. Best of luck to you. I'm just waiting for my Vandy rejection to roll in any day now. :)

Your pathologist friend should throw his hat in the ring for the TOOL OF THE CENTURY award. The OSU program is excellent and getting better by the minute.
As far as working hard.... I think if you want to be an excellent pathologist, you have to put the hours in. I am curious how other programs such as UMICH, VANDY, PENN, DUKE, MGH, NYU, COLUMBIA, UVA etc etc work their residents......

Hey Yaah how hard do you work in Michigan?

I hope most applicants realize that you have to work very hard in pathology.... there is a ton of material to master and if you want to be good you have to work.
If you want to train at a large university hospital medical center with a highly rated cancer hospital, transplant service, large and varied case load, ample research opportunity, well integrated AP/CP, a variety of fellowships, and excellent teaching this is the place.

deschutes said:
I just had the strongest mental image of 8,000 printers working overtime spitting out CAFs, transcripts, personal statements and letters of recommendation... all across the US. They must set things up to print at night or something. I've seen the department's printer for path reports chugging away in the evenings. The stack must be as thick as two bricks by morning.

A Match (and courtship) with 31,000+ participants. Sure blows the lavalife out of the water.

It's official, Michigan has started downloading stuff. I found out today where the applications/documents are downloaded and files are put together. Jackpot! And I have the keys to the place too! Haha!

Just kidding...well I guess now, it's a matter of "wait and see." As of today, all 4 of my LORs are in. When all your application materials and supporting documents are uploaded to the ERAS post office, it feels like you're going all in in a game of Texas Hold'em. Now it's up to the flop, turn, and river cards to determine our fates!

Matte Kudesai said:
Your pathologist friend should throw his hat in the ring for the TOOL OF THE CENTURY award. The OSU program is excellent and getting better by the minute.
As far as working hard.... I think if you want to be an excellent pathologist, you have to put the hours in. I am curious how other programs such as UMICH, VANDY, PENN, DUKE, MGH, NYU, COLUMBIA, UVA etc etc work their residents......

I hope most applicants realize that you have to work very hard in pathology.... there is a ton of material to master and if you want to be good you have to work.
If you want to train at a large university hospital medical center with a highly rated cancer hospital, transplant service, large and varied case load, ample research opportunity, well integrated AP/CP, a variety of fellowships, and excellent teaching this is the place.

OSU's program is awesome. I interviewed there and was very impressed. Columbus is a pretty fun city as well. Ohio has many good path programs. The one's in Cleveland might be better known by medical students across the country, but that doesn't mean they are better known by the pathology community across the country.

Zoloft said:

Hey Zoloft, I just got an email earlier today (well I guess yesterday as of now) from Cornell. They said that they received my application and instructed me to continue assigning documents for them to download. That's ironic considering that all my documents are in the ERAS post office and they downloaded everything. Is Cornell one of those programs that require like 10 LORs?

WashU by email. Hopefully Duke will decide to interview me soon as it would fit nice and snug into my November tour.

Matte Kudesai said:

Not to derail this thread, but I work hard. First month was chemistry, no so much work, but that was helped because in july and most of august there are no 8am conferences (slide review, tutorial sessions, lectures, whatever. We now have those every day). I spent lots of time reading. Last two months have been autopsy. I come in about 6:30 every day, mostly to ease into the day. But I have a few 13 hour days. Generally I leave about 5-6, but we also have occasional afternoon lectures. But yes, I wish I had more time to read and review things too. This is why I get somewhat hot and bothered at the "lifestyle" comments. Sure, you get out earlier (sometimes) in path, but your out of work responsibilities are also pretty high - staying on top of things and the like. You generally have to review every time you get a case because it involves something you haven't seen before. Like today, I have to sign out autopsy brain cases (one is a tumor, one is hepatic encephalopathy), and go to a GI path conference, do more placentas, perhaps sign out additional autopsies, etc.

yaah said:
I get somewhat hot and bothered

Did you hear that everyone? Yaah gets all hot and bothered! See, Pathology is the sexiest specialty!

Okay, on a different note, it's time for us all to take a collective moment of silence to willfully force those interview invitations into our email boxes. Ready?

ONE . . . . . . . .

TWO . . . . . . .

THREE! . . . . .

Hmm, that didn't work.

Still nothing.

Hmm.

IT WORKED!!
Stormjen, IT WORKED!!!!

OHIO STATE U - with accommodation!!

(I am so glad I don't check my email on the floors. I don't think I can reasonably explain my weird noises.)

WOW!!!!!!! :eek:

Congrats!

Thanks. :D
Matte Kudesai said:
The prospect of 20-hour days in path come July 1st, 2005 brings tears of joy to my eyes...

Cleveland Clinic by email. :)

I thought this was kinda funny...

I just checked my mailbox and found a letter from a program (the name of the program I shall not mention) confirming the interview date arranged via telephone.

My name was in the address line; however, the salutation line was Mr. (not my last name). Obviously I'm not gonna read too much into this but this generated some chuckles.

Has this happened to anyone before?