Interviews at Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelinebear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked all over the forum about any interviews concerning Loma Linda. Needless to say, mention of Loma Linda is limited. Has anyone recieved an interview or has already interviewed at Loma Linda? If you have already interviewed, how did the day go? Did you like it? Any information is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was at the school in dec and from what it sounded like from the med school dean and students most of the interviews don't occur until feb. and he wasn't too surprised that I hadn't heard anything regarding my application or status yet.

I interviewed there in November, and the whole day was pretty laid back. There were two interviews. In my case, one was conducted by a student (the easy one) and the other by a faculty member (tougher, but a tough interview by no means).

The campus is so-so. Some buildings look a bit run-down. Others are pretty nice.

And they do talk a lot about SDA, but they are very welcoming to other faiths.

Members don't see this ad :)
superunknown said:
I interviewed there in November, and the whole day was pretty laid back. There were two interviews. In my case, one was conducted by a student (the easy one) and the other by a faculty member (tougher, but a tough interview by no means).

The campus is so-so. Some buildings look a bit run-down. Others are pretty nice.

And they do talk a lot about SDA, but they are very welcoming to other faiths.

Do you know if they have made a decision about you yet? If not, do they tell you, on average, how long they take to make their decisions?

I'm interviewing in a few weeks. I got the invite in October.

angelinebear, they haven't gotten back to me yet, and I really don't know when they will. The student that gave us the tour thought that the first round of acceptances came out in December.

I just received my interview today after being complete since October.

RaaMD said:
I just received my interview today after being complete since October.

Congrats on getting the interview! good luck! :)

angelinebear said:
Congrats on getting the interview! good luck! :)

Thanks! :)

I just got my interview invite in the mail on Monday, and I called today and declined it. Good luck to all of you, it's a great school!! :)

For those that have had interviews already. Was there a group of you interviewing on the same day, or was there just one or 2 interviewees on that day. I heard that if you're scheduled for a group interview, you get a tour and lunch, but if you're scheduled for a day where it's just you interviewing that day, then you get to talk to the dean in addition to your other two inteviews.

I'm so anxious to hear back from Loma Linda! Has Anyone received any news yet (acceptance, rejection)? Hopefully not the latter, though. :) Does anyone know when the adcom meets? :scared:

angelinebear said:
I'm so anxious to hear back from Loma Linda! Has Anyone received any news yet (acceptance, rejection)? Hopefully not the latter, though. :) Does anyone know when the adcom meets? :scared:

NOT on Fridays. ;)

I'm interviewing next Thursday at Loma Linda. It counts as a trip home since I live so close to it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
NOT on Fridays. ;)

I'm interviewing next Thursday at Loma Linda. It counts as a trip home since I live so close to it. :laugh:

Good luck on your interview!

Why not Fridays? Technically, it's not Sabbath, yet, until sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday.

I was looking at forums from last year, and they said that they met around the middle of the month, but I'm not sure if that's the case this year.

Also, does anyone know how many people LLU usually interviews?

That's true, but the whole city of Loma Linda kind of "shuts down" on Fridays. People stop working around 2-ish, at least in the place I worked at the hospital. I guess the committee could meet on a Friday morning.

BUMP! :p

I'm sooo anxious!!! I warned all my interviewers about this weakness :( ...anyways...did anyone hear ANYTHING from LLU, yet. I wanna know i wanna know! I gave in and called them today. I disguised my desperation with a "I was wondering if you've recieved my transcript, yet?" hahaha....and then she said that they did, but I don't think she looked it up on the computer because the lady was like "what's your name?" and I told her, and she said, "oh yeah, we have it." After that I was like..."thank you *pause*..."ummm...can I ask you if my file has been reviewed yet? or are you not allowed to give out information over the phone?" and then the lady said, "Angeline, we'll let you know when a decision has been made"...

Now, if you understood at all what I ranted about above, I was wondering if anyone heard anything or if anyone knows anyone else that has heard anything. I'm beginning to think that whole "Angeline, we'll let you know when a decision has been made" response is a euphamism for..."we looked at your file, and you suck...we'll let you know when we send out the rejections" :scared:
AHHHH!!! :luck:

angelinebear, I interviewed in late Nov. and I still haven't heard anything either. We'll just have to wait (until March 31st at the VERY latest). Until then, good luck.

...i don't wanna wait! :mad: oh well... :( I guess I'm not waiting alone. LLU is rolling admissions, right??

Oh yeah, and microman, were you scheduled for a day with a group or individually?

bump....am I the only one going crazy for LLU? :p

angelinebear said:

I'm still waiting to hear about an interview. It would have been nice if they had a status page :) It is a great school and would love to get in!

MedDreamer said:
I'm still waiting to hear about an interview. It would have been nice if they had a status page :) It is a great school and would love to get in!

yeah...I think a status page would be nice. What really sucks is that noone knows/ posted when the adcom meets. :confused:

Good luck with hearing about an interview, MedDreamer. I love the school!

angelinebear said:
yeah...I think a status page would be nice. What really sucks is that noone knows/ posted when the adcom meets. :confused:

Good luck with hearing about an interview, MedDreamer. I love the school!

tell me more about loma linda.what do you love about the school?

curiouslygeorge said:
tell me more about loma linda.what do you love about the school?

Well if you don't know already, the school is affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventist church. Although being Seventh Day Adventist isn't the most important thing, it is important to be Christian. There's a christian environment at Loma Linda. There are Christian teachers and the majority of students are Christian. If you're not comfortable with this type of environment, however, you probably won't be happy there. Also, Loma Linda has a very good reputation. In fact, at my interview, my interviewer told me that although people are accepted with lower than average stats, their USMLE scores are much higher than the national average.

They are also planning on a curriculum change by next year. It's going to be systems based instead of discipline based. The first couple of weeks before classes start as well as the last couple of weeks after classes end, freshman get to shadow a 3rd year. This is a big change from the previous years because students now get patient contact before third year. Personally, I like that.

In all, I LOVE LLU because of the Christian education that you get there. I think that makes LLU unique from other medical schools. I love the people there. When I went there, I just felt really comfortable and at home. The faculty is nice. Everyone at the hospital is nice, and the students are nice also. I love Southern California! I love where the school is situated because the view from Loma Linda is amazing when you're looking at the mountains. Everything is so serene and peaceful. So yeah. I hope that answers your question. :)

angelinebear said:
Well if you don't know already, the school is affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventist church. Although being Seventh Day Adventist isn't the most important thing, it is important to be Christian. There's a christian environment at Loma Linda. There are Christian teachers and the majority of students are Christian. If you're not comfortable with this type of environment, however, you probably won't be happy there. Also, Loma Linda has a very good reputation. In fact, at my interview, my interviewer told me that although people are accepted with lower than average stats, their USMLE scores are much higher than the national average.

They are also planning on a curriculum change by next year. It's going to be systems based instead of discipline based. The first couple of weeks before classes start as well as the last couple of weeks after classes end, freshman get to shadow a 3rd year. This is a big change from the previous years because students now get patient contact before third year. Personally, I like that.

In all, I LOVE LLU because of the Christian education that you get there. I think that makes LLU unique from other medical schools. I love the people there. When I went there, I just felt really comfortable and at home. The faculty is nice. Everyone at the hospital is nice, and the students are nice also. I love Southern California! I love where the school is situated because the view from Loma Linda is amazing when you're looking at the mountains. Everything is so serene and peaceful. So yeah. I hope that answers your question. :)

Yeah, I would love to go there too!! It sounds like it's such a great school and the receptionists who answer the phone are just the nicest people!! I call so many times and they always answer with a nice, calm and friendly voice, like they really care. It makes one really want to go to that school!!

Do you guys know how many applications did they receive this year? And what are the chances of getting in if one is from another Christian denomination?

MedDreamer, I'm not sure about how many applications they recieved this year. If you look on the AAMC site, I don't think there would be too much of a difference between the numbers from this year and the numbers from last year.

Also, I think the important thing is that you're a Christian and you show it through your actions. I know that they give preference to SDAs, but that doesn't mean that they don't accept a number of non-SDA's. Who knows. Maybe you'll be one of them :luck: <-- there's your good luck clover!

So, I spoke with the Dean Tuesday and the adcom met last week, I am not sure what date though. Angeline, don't worry about them just saying they'll tell you when they know they did that to me too. But I am in now so it doesn't mean rejection!

angelinebear said:
MedDreamer, I'm not sure about how many applications they recieved this year. If you look on the AAMC site, I don't think there would be too much of a difference between the numbers from this year and the numbers from last year.

Also, I think the important thing is that you're a Christian and you show it through your actions. I know that they give preference to SDAs, but that doesn't mean that they don't accept a number of non-SDA's. Who knows. Maybe you'll be one of them :luck: <-- there's your good luck clover!

thanks Angelinebear.That's sweet :love:
good luck to you too. Hope you hear the good news very soon :luck:

arierty said:
So, I spoke with the Dean Tuesday and the adcom met last week, I am not sure what date though. Angeline, don't worry about them just saying they'll tell you when they know they did that to me too. But I am in now so it doesn't mean rejection!

Congrats on getting accepted! :thumbup: Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed?

Just got back from my LLU interview. It went really well. :)

Got back from my Loma Linda Interview today too. Surprisingly there were no ethical questions asked. I really liked the school.

Good luck to RaaMD and UCLAstudent! Is LLU your top choice? Who did you guys interview with? :)

Are any of you SDA?

RaaMD said:
Got back from my Loma Linda Interview today too. Surprisingly there were no ethical questions asked. I really liked the school.

I missed you at school today! Congrats on the interview!

Thanks, angelinebear, good luck to you, too! :) LLU is not my top choice, but I had a great time at the school today and would be happy to go there. And no, I am not SDA (I am Baptist).

Angelinebear my interview was November 22. It was a long wait. Also about your question of the new interviewees and are they SDA. Generally they don't interview SDAs at LLU but go to the major SDA undergrads and hold interviews at those schools.

I'm SDA, but I had an individual interview on a Thursday. Do you think they interview SDAs separate from others? When I talked to the dean Thursday, he told me that there was an interview group the day before my interview. I've been stressing about the pros and cons of having an interview scheduled on a day when it's just myself and maybe another person. I got to have 2 interviews which lasted a little over an hour and a meeting with Dr. Nyiradi in between my interviews which lasted maybe 35-45 minutes. I would really have liked a lunch though :p YUMM!

At my interview they mentioned if you go to an SDA undergrad they interview you at your undergrad. That is all I know.

I did not meet any SDA at my interview yesterday. I'm pretty sure that everyone was part of some religion, though.

Two friends of mine (not SDA, but Christians) both interviewed on January 11, and both were accepted last week.

Tell you friends I said congrats, UCLAstudent! I am very happy for them! If anyone has any news, keep them coming :p

I interviewed back on November 22nd and haven't heard anything yet. I'm still waiting. Why would March 31st be the latest we would find out? I thought I'd heard of people being accepted past that.

paceac said:
I interviewed back on November 22nd and haven't heard anything yet. I'm still waiting. Why would March 31st be the latest we would find out? I thought I'd heard of people being accepted past that.
I remember them telling us that all decisions (accept/reject/waitlist) would be made by March 31. Surely though, people will come off of the waitlist much later than March 31.

microman said:
I remember them telling us that all decisions (accept/reject/waitlist) would be made by March 31. Surely though, people will come off of the waitlist much later than March 31.

I looked at last year's threads, and if I remember correctly, there were people still getting notification in April.

angelinebear said:

Hi angelinebear! No you're not the only one...I'm still waiting to hear back from them regarding receiving an interview. I've been complete since Nov but I hadn't hear anything and I just wrote them an update letter last week.

Anyways I know you mentioned that you knew LLU's stats and was wondering if you (or anyone) could share that (MCAT/GPA) and any advice about calling them. Thanks and good luck on hearing back from them!

jenna08 said:
Hi angelinebear! No you're not the only one...I'm still waiting to hear back from them regarding receiving an interview. I've been complete since Nov but I hadn't hear anything and I just wrote them an update letter last week.

Anyways I know you mentioned that you knew LLU's stats and was wondering if you (or anyone) could share that (MCAT/GPA) and any advice about calling them. Thanks and good luck on hearing back from them!

Hey Jenna...concerning your question on the MCAT/GPA average of Loma Linda. To be honest...I'm not too sure what the numbers are. I do know, however, that if you're not SDA, your numbers have to be a little bit higher. I'd looked at mdapplicants.com, but alot of the numbers there are a little high because, of course, the people that post their stats usually have very good stats.

I would call them if I were you. My application was complete back in November also, and I called them. They told me that when a decision is made, they would contact me. Later that afternoon, they emailed me the same thing that they said to me earlier on the phon ..haha...then I think a week later or so, I got an interview invite. Just let them know that you're interested in the school. The best way to do that is to keep in contact with them, whether it be by calling, emailing, or sending updates in. Good luck! I'll pray for you :)

Does the adcom meet basically once a month? I'm just wondering if I have to wait at least until mid-February before I'll hear anything. Thanks.

From what it looks like, it's probable that the adcom meets only once a month. I'm trying to be patient waiting. I'm thinking of sending them a letter of intent, but I'm not sure what to say in it or if it's too early. I just really want to go to LLU. :luck: Good luck peaceac

paceac said:
Does the adcom meet basically once a month? I'm just wondering if I have to wait at least until mid-February before I'll hear anything. Thanks.

From what it looks like, it's probable that the adcom meets only once a month. I'm trying to be patient waiting. I'm thinking of sending them a letter of intent, but I'm not sure what to say in it or if it's too early. Any suggestions, anyone? I just really want to go to LLU. Good luck paceac!

Hi angelinebear...thanks so much for your advice about stats and calling! I've never called a school before so I'm not sure how to express my interest without sounding desperate. Anyways, I'm going to try giving them a call later on...

Also does anyone know how late into the year they interview until and how often? Thanks for your help...praying for you too!