interviews with a 23 or lower mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn41592

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone has anyone here had an interview with a sub 24 mcat score? I made a 23 6ps9v8bs. I have a 3.86 cgpa 3.78 sgpa and I am Hispanic(Honduran) I am open to both md and do mostly because I want to go into primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

¿Que es la que hay, 'mano?

A quick search on http://www.mdapplicants.com/ shows at least ~150-160 applicants with MCAT 23 and below who were accepted to a school (that's eliminating everyone below 18 or so who most likely put down fake scores to avoid being searched for).

Is it a super competitive score for MD? Probably not. But if you look at this chart: https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf you can see that at your GPA and MCAT range there is still a 62% acceptance rate for Latinos.

You willing to go to PR? You have Texas schools too which tend to be a little more forgiving (assuming you're from Texas by your name :laugh:)

¿Que es la que hay, 'mano?

A quick search on http://www.mdapplicants.com/ shows at least ~150-160 applicants with MCAT 23 and below who were accepted to a school (that's eliminating everyone below 18 or so who most likely put down fake scores to avoid being searched for).

Is it a super competitive score for MD? Probably not. But if you look at this chart: https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf you can see that at your GPA and MCAT range there is still a 62% acceptance rate for Latinos.

You willing to go to PR? You have Texas schools too which tend to be a little more forgiving (assuming you're from Texas by your name :laugh:)

I really would like to stay in Texas haha. I just am debating retaking or just ride with the score i am very interested in tcom

Members don't see this ad :)
I really would like to stay in Texas haha. I just am debating retaking or just ride with the score i am very interested in tcom

There's no harm in calling them and asking an admissions person their opinion. They would be able to tell you whether or not you'll be competitive for their program with that MCAT score.

When are you applying?

Can you find someone to help you get your PS score up? The first time I took the MCAT my PS score was weak as well. I studied using TBR the next time and I found someone to help me once a week for an hour or so and I bought my PS score up to double digits. If you are still enrolled in school there maybe someone available to help you for free. I worked with my tutor for roughly 8 hours total. Even if you paid someone $20/hr it's worth it.

Retake it.

I think it wouldn't hurt to retake it. You have a really good gpa! Having that plus a higher MCAT would make you more competitive and more likely to get into the school you want. You can definitely get that score up! You also want to have a score that corresponds as much as it can with your gpa! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

my application is already in for this cycle. if i retake in august will the schools not look at my application until they get my new scores or will they review it now with my current scores and then only review it again if they want to see if i scored better?

We are getting a little late in the game for retakes. I would apply (broadly). I bet your URM status and GPA will get you into a DO school somewhere. If not, retake next spring and go at it again.

Survivor DO

Hi everyone has anyone here had an interview with a sub 24 mcat score? I made a 23 6ps9v8bs. I have a 3.86 cgpa 3.78 sgpa and I am Hispanic(Honduran) I am open to both md and do mostly because I want to go into primary care.

Even as being latino that's a really low MCAT for MD but you might have a chance at getting an interview with several DO schools (try LECOM, WVSOM, any newer schools ). Depending on the college you went to and what classes you took and its relevance to med school, your GPA might help your low MCAT out. Retake the MCAT and if you don't do much better than I suggest you enroll in a postbac program / masters in medical science program to enhance your academic credentials.

We are getting a little late in the game for retakes. I would apply (broadly). I bet your URM status and GPA will get you into a DO school somewhere. If not, retake next spring and go at it again.

Survivor DO

Agreed, I think it's too late as well for retakes, it's almost July, and a school might take your application under review and make a decision before you get your scores back.

Even if they didn't review your application and they waited for the new MCAT, you still need sufficient time to study for it and wait to get your scores back-- all of which will result in an overall late application which makes it not even worth the retake (at least for this cycle) IMO

I say 1) apply very very broadly 2) reconsider the DO option 3) Thank God that you live in Texas lol and of course 4) hope for the best.

lol thanks for the response.. I really like the DO option.The focus on primary care and treating the patient through a holistic approach really appeals to me. If Tcom showed me some love it would make my year haha, I have applied to 7 D.O. schools and all the m.d. schools in texas( I know i am a long shot lol) any advice on other d.o. schools to apply to?

Applied:
LECOM-both campuses
NYCOM
TCOM
NOVA
Rocky vista
William Carey

lol thanks for the response.. I really like the DO option.The focus on primary care and treating the patient through a holistic approach really appeals to me. If Tcom showed me some love it would make my year haha, I have applied to 7 D.O. schools and all the m.d. schools in texas( I know i am a long shot lol) any advice on other d.o. schools to apply to?

Applied:
LECOM-both campuses
NYCOM
TCOM
NOVA
Rocky vista
William Carey

Apply to ACOM, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, CUSOM....

Any update on this? I am in a similar boat.