Intra op use of home insulin pumps, yea or nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the surgery particulars. Subq insulin absorption can be less reliable in certain situations, body temp, hypotension etc. If this is a case where you otherwise feel comfortable giving subq insulin rather than IV insulin then I would set the pump to basal rate. There are recommendations out there by some of the different anesthesia societies about dosing and preferred route of administration for insulin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them to hold bolus dosing morning of surgery, keep basal rate running 👍

The vast majority of the time, I keep it going. My thinking is that the device is probably a lot better at managing their insulin requirements than I am. I just have the patient give me a quick rundown on how to use the thing if I need to. Most of those devices are pretty straightforward since they are designed for patient use. The technology is actually pretty cool. The patients can get real time readings of their blood glucose levels via an app on their phone or smartwatch.

The vast majority of the time, I keep it going. My thinking is that the device is probably a lot better at managing their insulin requirements than I am. I just have the patient give me a quick rundown on how to use the thing if I need to. Most of those devices are pretty straightforward since they are designed for patient use. The technology is actually pretty cool. The patients can get real time readings of their blood glucose levels via an app on their phone or smartwatch.
agree. i often borrow their phone

Reactions: 1 users
I think the functionality with such devices that is most appreciated is the continuous blood glucose monitoring aspect. These insulin pumps come jn some many different ways, some with out CGM, some with CGM built in, and some with advanced algorithms to actually make automatic corrections based on CGM results.