Intrathecal methyprednisolone and lidocaine infusion for post herpetic neuralgia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
88 y/o male Patient with PMH gout, CHF, hyponatremia, hypertension, chronic kidney disease with right C4 post herpetic neuralgia referred to me specifically for this procedure every week for 4 weeks. Wanted the intrathecal injection to occur at the C4 level!

Is this even being performed any longer? I thought it had a brief spotlight in the literature then folks stopped doing it. I'm not going to proceed with this procedure given his frail status.

Has not yet tried custom compounded topicals, qutenza, root blocks, SCS trial. Has tried all the other typical oral meds.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Intrathecal steroids? Nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that was my reaction to the request as well. However, does anyone here do this procedure for any reason? Know of anybody in the USA that does?

Yeah that was my reaction to the request as well. However, does anyone here do this procedure for any reason? Know of anybody in the USA that does?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure one of my so-called "competitors" down the street does this quite often. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually know he's doing it, and all of his patients complaint of brutal headaches afterwards.

:laugh:

What say you doctors?

Neurochem Int. 2013 Nov;63(5):517-21. doi: 10.1016/j.neuint.2013.08.007. Epub 2013 Sep 2.

Cerebrospinal fluid of postherpetic neuralgia patients induced interleukin-6 release in human glial cell-line T98G.
Tay AS1, Liu EH, Lee TL, Miyazaki S, Nishimura W, Minami T, Chan YH, Low CM, Tachibana S.

Author information
Abstract

Chronic intractable pain caused by postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) can be alleviated by intrathecal (i.t.) steroid therapy. We investigated the possibility that interleukin-6 (IL-6) release in an in vitro system could be a potential marker for evaluating the effectiveness of i.t. steroid therapy in PHN patients. We studied 32 patients who received a course of i.t. injection of water-soluble dexamethasone. Their therapeutic index was calculated as such: ((Pain score before treatment - Pain score after treatment)÷Pain score before treatment)×100%, and they were divided into two groups, therapy effective (index>50%) and ineffective (index<50%). Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from the patients was used to stimulate cultures of T98G glioblastoma cells, and the subsequent IL-6 release was measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Our results showed that the CSF triggered IL-6 release from T98G cells in a volume-dependent manner. IL-6 release was significantly lower when using CSF from the therapy effective patient group (p<0.001) compared to the therapy ineffective group. In particular, therapy effective patients had less IL-6 release even before treatment as compared to therapy ineffective patients. In the therapy effective group, in vitro steroid treatment suppressed the CSF's IL-6 releasing effect almost completely, whereas in the therapy ineffective group, the IL-6 release was significantly reduced but remained detectable. These in vitro tests may provide an objective evaluation on the efficacy of i.t. steroid therapy administered to PHN patients.

88 y/o male Patient with PMH gout, CHF, hyponatremia, hypertension, chronic kidney disease with right C4 post herpetic neuralgia referred to me specifically for this procedure every week for 4 weeks. Wanted the intrathecal injection to occur at the C4 level!

Is this even being performed any longer? I thought it had a brief spotlight in the literature then folks stopped doing it. I'm not going to proceed with this procedure given his frail status.

Has not yet tried custom compounded topicals, qutenza, root blocks, SCS trial. Has tried all the other typical oral meds.

Can you tell us about the referer? Specialty, age, IQ...

i know that this has been passed around, but never of course standard of care.

This came out last year, and quoting it back to the caregiver who has requested the procedure might be helpful:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23059790

2013 May;17(5):714-23. doi: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2012.00233.x. Epub 2012 Oct 11.
No beneficial effect of intrathecal methylprednisolone acetate in postherpetic neuralgia patients.
Rijsdijk M1, van Wijck AJ, Meulenhoff PC, Kavelaars A, van der Tweel I, Kalkman CJ.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
High efficacy of intrathecal methylprednisolone acetate (MPA) with lidocaine has been reported in a large patient group suffering from intractable postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). Because the treatment effect was never independently confirmed and there are ongoing safety concerns, intrathecal MPA did not become standard care for intractable PHN. We report the results of a replication trial assessing pain relief and spinal cytokine/chemokine levels in PHN patients.

METHODS:
The number of patients to be included was determined using sequential analysis to limit patient exposure to the invasive experimental treatment. Patients were randomized to the treatment group receiving MPA 60 mg + lidocaine 60 mg or control group receiving lidocaine 60 mg only. Four injections at 7-day intervals were administered after cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection to measure cytokine/chemokine levels. Visual analogue scores for pain and the square allodynic area were collected during follow-up, with the primary end point set at 8 weeks follow-up.

RESULTS:
In total, 10 patients were included, of whom six were randomized to the treatment group. All six MPA-treated patients experienced a pain increase at 8 weeks, versus one of four patients in the control group. The square allodynic area increased in four of six MPA-treated patients versus one of four control patients. CSF interleukin-8 levels remained stable in the control group, but increased significantly after the first intrathecal MPA injection. The trial was stopped because of safety concerns and futility.

CONCLUSION:
Considering the absence of clinical benefits and the potential risks of the treatment, intrathecal administration of MPA is not recommended.
[/URL]

“A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.” The Empire Strikes Back
Ahhh...I understand now, teacher. You consider IT steroids at C4 basically so outrageous that you consider it an "attack" therefore not consistent with the Force. Also would be without "defense," (in court.) Especially if done with blind LOR technique and eyes closed, relying on the Force. Thank you Yoda. Much wise you are.

"Figured it out Ligament! Don't do it." (see above)

Ahhh...I understand now, teacher. You consider IT steroids at C4 basically so outrageous that you consider it an "attack" therefore not consistent with the Force. Also would be without "defense," (in court.) Especially if done with blind LOR technique and eyes closed, relying on the Force.

In regard to the article posted: I happen to find the science behind conditions fascinating and believe that it leads to a better understanding of diseases processes and how to effectively treat them.

There is evidence for and evidence against IT steroids for PHN............just as there is for and against epidural steroid injections.

Much wise you are.

Thank you!

In regard to the article posted: I happen to find the science behind conditions fascinating and believe that it leads to a better understanding of diseases processes and how to effectively treat them.

There is evidence for and evidence against IT steroids for PHN............just as there is for and against epidural steroid injections.

Thank you!
I know. I'm just messing with you. I know there are some reports out there about IT steroids possibly having utility for certain things, but in this country when something gets slapped with a literal or implied "black box," then the treatment just doesn't get done or even further investigated. Like with the arachnoiditis concern, specifically from inadvertent IT DepoMedrol and all the legal/Dr Oz scare-mongering. With all that crap out there, I'm not going to do it, even if it could potentially make sense. Still wouldn't go at C4 (holy schneikies!)

Thanks guys, I wanted to keep an open mind about this, but I can't justify it. Does anybody for any reason ever access the intrathecal space in the c-spine? Even cervical myleograms are accessed in the l-spine then put in trendelenberg...

Does anybody for any reason ever access the intrathecal space in the c-spine?

Yes (for CSF collection in the setting of severe lumbar spinal stenosis, infection in the lumbar region, technical issues preventing lumbar puncture, and still by some radiologists for cervical myelography), it is usually performed at C1-C2.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes (for CSF collection in the setting of severe lumbar spinal stenosis, infection in the lumbar region, technical issues preventing lumbar puncture, and still by some radiologists for cervical myelography), it is usually performed at C1-C2.

Thank you. Makes sense.