Intrested in medical field need help

blueace13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO everyone. I'm new to this site nice to meet you all. I desire to go into the medical field. I am a senior in high school but I've always had a passion of becoming a doctor one day. I am wondering in what I should major in, in college. I am interested in Computer Science because I like technology but I wouldn't make it my career in the future. I think one can major in anything and still apply for med school. I was thinking of biomedical engineering but I like computers more. Anyways I've heard biomed engineering is hard. I don't mind programming, in fact i enjoy it. Also is Computer Science good for jobs, I mean will it help me find a job after I graduate? I think the salary for having a Computer Science degree isn't so bad. OF course it depends on location, experience and so on.So is it okay to get into computer science? Any other careers similar to computer science? Thanks. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Major in what you want. Computer science is a marketable degree especially when you look at the value of some other degrees. If you change your mind and decide not to go into medicine (which a lot of people do first and second years of college), then you have a great back up plan. For the medicine part on top of that, you just have to do the pre-req. and all that stuff you need for your application on top of your major.

Thanks a lot for your input, just one more question. I looked into the computer degrees and was wondering if computer science and computer engineering were any different. Is either one better than the other or they are about the same? I care about what each one does specifically. I researched them but still do not understand. Is computer science more related in the writing of programs and software? Also is computer engineering more about the hardware such as microchips and the such. Thanks! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Computer Science = Software

Computer Engineering = Hardware

So here's the advice for medical school if your interested. The hardest part about the whole thing is actually getting in.If you are an under represented minority or have a parent on the adcom committee, you will have a much easier time getting in. Just don't complain about this, life isn't fair and nor is the process of getting into medical school. Basically, it doesn't make a difference if you go to a lower tier college or higher tier college like Columbia, if your GPA in college is not about 3.7 or so and your MCAT is not 30 or higher, you won't get into any american medical schools. The reason it is tough to get into medical school is because you will be guaranteed a job making in the top 1% of the population with job security. So point being, the goal is to spend the least amount you can on college as the name of the college you go to won't make a difference. It is probably better to major in something that isn't science, for some reason the admissions committees like this. If I had actually spent 60k / yr to go to a top tier and college and couldn't get into an americal med school, I would have really been pissed off. It is better going to a lower tier school, do a reasonable major such as comp science like you said you were interested in, that way you have a back up plan. The goal is to go into the least amount of debt before starting medical school. It is a tough road, the premed courses are not easy and you basically have to ace them to get in along with getting a top 85% on the MCAT test.

You should thank me for this advice. At least once your in med school, the courses really are not that hard. Residency is a lot more fun as you are doing something you like. Being an attending is even better as you make all the calls.

I was in your position 12 years ago, the time kinda flies.