Intro Chem - Gen Chem Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apples1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I did not see this question on the forums, and it makes me feel like I am in an odd situation. I have a question regarding the schools who will accept either intro or gen chemistry. For example, on CSUS (Sacramento State) DPT Prereqs, they will take either chem classes, and I was wondering if it would hurt me if I took the intro chem path. I guess what I am trying to say is: when schools who accept either-or chem courses look at my application, do you think me taking the "easy way out" with intro chemistry will alter their decision, regardless if the rest of my app is great. The intro chem is geared towards health majors fyi. My prereq GPA is about a 3.9 and I am not very strong at chemistry so it would be unfortunate if I had to take the general chemistry coursework.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Take Gen Chem, pulling off the A in it will prepare you for the rigors of PT school.

I would take Gen Chem as well. From what I've experienced the course work is not that much different / more difficult than intro.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take general chem! You may end up wanting to apply to schools that want gen chem. Don't limit your options.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll try to get general chem done too i suppose!

Yeah, you should probably take gen chem to be safe. I ran into this same problem- however, it's a little frustrating because I personally don't feel like I'm learning much more in the gen chem series I'm taking than I did in the first chem series I took. Oh well!