Intro to Astronomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS says astronomy falls under physcis, therefore toward BCPM.

Here is a question: is Intro to Astronomy going to be counted toward BCPM? The class is under Department of Physics& Astronomy, but the course number is AY 101.

Members don't see this ad.

Will the adcoms think I am just using this for GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't have to be listed under the physics department to count as BCPM. My course code was similarly "ASTR 101" and they counted it.
Will the adcoms think I am just using this for GPA?
They might if you have a trend of taking a bunch of "easy" science classes. I took it because outer space is the ****.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes to BCPM. I would be careful in assuming it is an easy class. My astronomy professor failed 1 out of 3 people in a class of 90.

Reactions: 1 users

Here is a question: is Intro to Astronomy going to be counted toward BCPM? The class is under Department of Physics& Astronomy, but the course number is AY 101.

Yes it will be.

Yes to BCPM. I would be careful in assuming it is an easy class. My astronomy professor failed 1 out of 3 people in a class of 90.

Yeah astronomy can be pretty difficult but pretty insightful. There's a lot of calculus and differential geometry involved in the upper level astronomy courses as special relativity and general relativity become increasingly important and used.

Intro level astronomy can be difficult in that it can be memorization heavy to be familiar with the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
But was it easy for you?
I never went to a second class after the professor said that. I was like " I like astronomy, its not worth ruining my gpa or busting my butt for though"

Astronomy is awesome so do it regardless. Also, astrobiology is extremely interesting so take that too if you have any interest in space.

Members don't see this ad :)
considering psychology statistics counts toward BCPM even though it is PSYCH-### I would say astro counts toward BCPM

I actually had an astronomy class listed under BCPM last year and both TMDSAS and AMCAS removed it from my science GPA.

I would have challenged them on that. It is a definately a BCPM course.

In retrospect I probably should have. Didn't end up mattering much though, I had so many science credit hours my GPA hardly moved.

Thanks for the info guys, it helped me a lot because I really needed some easy BCPM class so that I can focus on other chem. E classes. To bad chem .E classes don't count toward BCPM.

I am taking Intro to Biochem engineering, so I am going to see if it will count toward BCPM in the future. I will definitely update on that .

Hang on. OP starts off by saying that astronomy is listed under physics as per AMCAS and so is BCPM. Then he/she asks whether astronomy is BCPM?

Hang on. OP starts off by saying that astronomy is listed under physics as per AMCAS and so is BCPM. Then he/she asks whether astronomy is BCPM?
No, I am asking, 1) if the class has to be named such as PH???? to be counted as BCPM because the class is named as AY 101 and I was wondering a simple letters can affect the qualification
2) if they will think I am playing system and take it off from BCPM gpa

Thank you @gonnif,
I already made sure I fulfilled prereqs. AP credits helped me on that.

Yes. I tried putting it as a non science because I didn't know and amcas corrected it to BCPM. Weird because there's no real physics on there. Just general concepts