Intro. to Physiology OR Intro. to Biochemistry this semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love_plague

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a place for a 3 hours class. So I am trying to decide whether I should take Intro. to Physiology or Intro. to Biochemistry this Fall. Do you guys have any suggestion for me?

Members don't see this ad.

take biochem. That will hit you harder in med school than phys. besides, most intro to phys classes i've seen have been woefully inadequate. At least with biochem you will get a head start with the pathways you will be asked to memorize in med school

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what I say....biochem is basis of all life, take it!

God I hate biochem, I don't remember a single pathway.

I dunno guys, I don't see much value from biochem unless it's an upper division course where you also get the chemistry. Physiology on the other hand should help him with the mcat.

Intro. to Biochem is a Biochemistry for non-Biochemistry major.
It sounds tough.
Is it harder than Organic Chemistry in a sense of memorization? :confused:

Physio will help you in the Mcat but biochem will help you in Med school. You're gonna have to pick which one u want more.

Just do physio for now, and hit up biochem before you graduate. If you do that, physio will be fresh for the MCAT and biochem will be fresh for med school.

djipopo said:
Physio will help you in the Mcat but biochem will help you in Med school. You're gonna have to pick which one u want more.

Thanks.
But, Do you think the second semester of Organic Chemistry is important for MCAT too? Should I take the second semester of Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry?

The organoc will definately be more usefull for MCAT than biochem. I will come in handy in the biological sciences section

Pinkertinkle said:
Just do physio for now, and hit up biochem before you graduate. If you do that, physio will be fresh for the MCAT and biochem will be fresh for med school.

I haven't had College Biology (Molecular/Cellular). But I have done the first semester of Organic Chemistry. Do you think I have adequate knowledge to take either Physiology or Biochemistry?

love_plague said:
I haven't had College Biology (Molecular/Cellular). But I have done the first semester of Organic Chemistry. Do you think I have adequate knowledge to take either Physiology or Biochemistry?

Both of those classes sound like the lower division courses to me. It means they have no prereqs and are for nonmajors. Could you explain who you are, what your major is, and why you're taking science classes?

Medikit said:
Both of those classes sound like the lower division courses to me. It means they have no prereqs and are for nonmajors. Could you explain who you are, what your major is, and why you're taking science classes?

Hi,

I'm "love_plague." I'm very romantic as a person :D . I'm a radiological engineering major [kind of like Health Physics major]. I am taking science classes just so that I can be prepared for MCAT and Medical Schools. I will definitely be working in a Health-related fields in the future. :)

love_plague said:
Hi,

I'm "love_plague." I'm very romantic as a person :D . I'm a radiological engineering major [kind of like Health Physics major]. I am taking science classes just so that I can be prepared for MCAT and Medical Schools. I will definitely be working in a Health-related fields in the future. :)

Hi,

I'm "Medikit". I'm very awesome as a person and sometimes cool:cool: if not rad:thumbup:. I don't understand why you want to take lower division classes. Idealy you want to take upper division physiology and upper division biochemistry as well as upper division genetics and if you're able, cell biology.

But to answer your question, if intro to biochem is indeed lower division biochemistry then you won't need second semester biochem for it. It will be very straight forward and I doubt it will be helpful for anything else other than to familiarize yourself with topics before you take the real biochemistry. Human physiology on the other hand will give you some info that could potentially be on the mcat. I don't consider either particularly helpful, but Human phys is probably the most helpful of the two.

Medikit said:
Hi,

I'm "Medikit". I'm very awesome as a person and sometimes cool:cool: if not rad:thumbup:. I don't understand why you want to take lower division classes. Idealy you want to take upper division physiology and upper division biochemistry as well as upper division genetics and if you're able, cell biology.

But to answer your question, if intro to biochem is indeed lower division biochemistry then you won't need second semester biochem for it. It will be very straight forward and I doubt it will be helpful for anything else other than to familiarize yourself with topics before you take the real biochemistry. Human physiology on the other hand will give you some info that could potentially be on the mcat. I don't consider either particularly helpful, but Human phys is probably the most helpful of the two.

When you mention "lower division," do you mean the class that is not a 300 or 400 level? Intro to Biochemistry for Non-Majors is a 300 level. Intro to Physiology is a 100 level. But, there is also another real Physiology which is a 300 level class. For genetics, I think there's one at a 200 level and one at 300 level. :)

love_plague said:
When you mention "lower division," do you mean the class that is not a 300 or 400 level? Intro to Biochemistry for Non-Majors is a 300 level. Intro to Physiology is a 100 level. But, there is also another real Physiology which is a 300 level class. For genetics, I think there's one at a 200 level and one at 300 level. :)

I really don't know how your school does it. I would imagine that there isn't a huge difference between the 100 level and the 300 level class. I was assuming the non-major class was the same as the lower division class. Although they are two separate classes I couldn't begin to predict what their differences are.

Medikit said:
I really don't know how your school does it. I would imagine that there isn't a huge difference between the 100 level and the 300 level class. I was assuming the non-major class was the same as the lower division class. Although they are two separate classes I couldn't begin to predict what their differences are.

It's ok. Thanks for helping anyway.
I think I will take Physiology first and Biochem later.

By the way, do you think "love_plague" is a scary name? :confused: