Intro to Veterinary Medicine Book Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdvm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working at a veterinary hospital as a veterinary assistant, and all the assistants and techs are far more knowledgeable than they were at my old hospital, so I was hoping to find a good all around textbook that goes over many of the basics of veterinary medicine. Things like anatomy, basic procedure, pathology values, surgical instruments, imaging techniques, drugs, diseases, labs, etc. I don't need copious amounts of detail, but an overview would be very helpful. If anyone has some textbook recommendations, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of an overview textbook that looks at all of those things. It's far too broad a list.....I can't even think of a veterinary technician text that covers that wide a variety of topics. Ask the staff at your clinic if they have any reference books in the clinic you could read on your breaks. That way you can take a look at more books about different subjects without breaking the bank and needing to buy 5 of them yourself. Most people are happy to have someone around who wants to learn, so ask (at an appropriate time).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might try "Veterinary Technician's Daily Reference Guide: Canine and Feline". It covers a lot of information!

I can't think of an overview textbook that looks at all of those things. It's far too broad a list.....I can't even think of a veterinary technician text that covers that wide a variety of topics. Ask the staff at your clinic if they have any reference books in the clinic you could read on your breaks. That way you can take a look at more books about different subjects without breaking the bank and needing to buy 5 of them yourself. Most people are happy to have someone around who wants to learn, so ask (at an appropriate time).
Echo this. If there's a quiet minute, ask the docs and techs what's up with Fluffy. Why are we giving that medication? Why is she on that food? What are you looking for on that bloodwork? I think most of this stuff is better learned organically as you go than trying to remember things from a textbook. If it's not a quiet moment, write questions down to ask when the vet or tech has a minute.

...Look up the conditions and the tests when you get home.

Veterinary Partner is a really good website to look up different terms you've heard during the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Veterinary Partner is a really good website to look up different terms you've heard during the day.
Very true. They also have good overviews of diseases. So if you know there's a blocked cat, or a GDV, or a glaucoma or something, go home and look up the Veterinary Partner listing for it, or check the 5 minute consult page for information on that disease. Slowly you'll build up an overview over time.

McCurnin's vet tech textbook covers a wide range of clinical topics in a general way, but it's pretty expensive to buy just for a reference. If you really want a book, you could probably rent it or find a used older edition, but the previous suggestions of asking questions + online research would likely better suit your needs.

Feel free to PM me as well. Can't answer case questions ofc, but I just finished my first year of a vet technology program (have now been through several textbooks) and would be happy to share resources about basic procedures, dentistry, imaging, parasitology, or general clin path labwork stuff :)