Introduce Yourself Here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, should we be worried? :)

I know you were at first anxious and then happy about your job outlook/possibilities. I'd be curious to hear where you ended up! You can be as vague as you like, of course. Either way, glad you found something that you're excited about!

In the best place to be practicing in the field I have a passion for! (so that means in a lab animal position, will not be any less vague than that).

Members don't see this ad.

-
- I find things like lancing abscesses and refluxing horses to be infinitely satisfying.
- I've been loving horses & riding since I was six. My fascination with equine athletes is the main reason why I chose to pursue vet med.

Ditto to both! Whenever a cat comes in with an abscess, I am up the vet's butt asking if I can participate in getting all that nasty puss out. I am now the abscess girl at work. Not normal.

- I love nerdy jokes... and the people that get them, too! (^These names made me LOL)

- I have a rock star of a mini poodle and I get judged when I mention her breed to people, but I'm slowly converting everyone who meets her into poodle-lovers!

I originally had 3 hermies, the other 2 that passed were named Albumin and Alk Phos.

Also... I am a HUGE poodle lover. My best friend has 2, a tea-cup and a mini, and I was converted so many years ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: I love this thread--it's so fun to read about the people behind the acceptances/rejections/interviews!
I'm 25--soon to be 26.
I grew up in a small town on the East Coast but moved to California for undergrad and for one year post-graduation. I've since come back to Philly (brrrrr!!!) to do my post-bacc and this is my first year applying.
I have 3 rabbits that I adore (particularly since they're litter-trained) and one confused cat who thinks he's a dog!
I love anything outdoors--hiking, biking, camping. I'm really into kick-boxing and rock climbing and am so happy to have found a group of fellow rock climbers here in Philly. I too have been sky diving once and agree with the others who want to learn to do it solo!!
I could probably beat you in foosball. :)
I also love to drink! Anything, particularly beer

I'll play. Although I'm also NOT posting stats for everyone to laugh at! :rolleyes:

I'm a non-trad who majored in English the first time and I'm on my second application cycle. I live in the midwest, but I'm a Jersey girl. I'm also a HUGE English nerd, grammar nazi, and I have more books than you can shake a stick at.

I have numerous tattoos, and several piercings.

I don't drink soda, but if you get between me and my coffee I will cut you.

I have 4 cats, one of whom is deaf, walks on a leash, sits on command, and loves to be vacuumed (he's the baby). I also have a torti and calico who are littermates that I found outside a WalMart in Indiana, and a little black and white cat that someone found in the street and brough into the clinic.

I used to have three horses - now I have one big dumb Thoroughbred gelding who I compete in the hunters and I adore, even though he is an unpredictable *****. I got into vet med because of him and my mare, who had SO MANY ACCIDENTS my senior year of college that my vet took pity on me and hired me to help pay the bills.

Last edited:
Study immunology or post on this thread?.. post on this thread

Well lets see... I'm 23. Finished my B.S in Biology in Dec. 2009 and will graduate with my M.S in Cell & Molecular Biology this June. This was my 2nd round of applications to vet school. Luckily I was accepted to OSU (my IS) in dec. I have two doberman pinschers, Macy & Gunner (who are also my children). I would like to add a cat to the mix in the near future and I want clydesdales after I graduate vet school. I have a wonderful boyfriend, who just proposed this christmas.. the wedding is tbd.

I love playing volleyball (sand & court) and snowboarding. I work at an emergency clinic as a veterinary assistant/ certified dental tech and at a SA general practice as an uncertified tech. I love wine and buffalo wild wings (not necessarily together). I must admit I love to watch gLee & true blood.. and I read all of the twilight books..:laugh:

I have one from when I hit a tree (skiing) and a collection from an angry cat's back feet on the other arm. I'm willing to bet that many pre-vetters are likely to have some battle scars from work (in addition to those from trees and siblings, that is).

I have one from when I hit a tree (skiing) and a collection from an angry cat's back feet on the other arm. I'm willing to bet that many pre-vetters are likely to have some battle scars from work (in addition to those from trees and siblings, that is).

I can't feel a spot on the top of my left foot between my big toe and second toe. This summer while I was working with the large animal vet, I was holding up a sedated horse's head while Doc was floating its teeth. The horse swayed a little, went to catch its balance, and stomped RIGHT on my foot. Since he was sedated it took a few seconds to get him off and he smashed it pretty good. My foot got all black and blue and that spot has been numb ever since.

Not me. All my horse related injuries have been internal. Still feeling a messed up hip from a year ago!

I do have a scar on my upper lip from when I tried to jump onto a sled, missed, and went face first into the ice when I was a kid. Put my upper teeth through my lip.

I'm willing to bet that many pre-vetters are likely to have some battle scars from work (in addition to those from trees and siblings, that is).
Yep, tons of battle scars. I'm glad that they only show up when my arm has poor circulation or when I'm cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Horses do seem to cause different injuries than cats and dogs. Hmm. Well, I know that stallions can bite, so I guess it just depends on what situation you get!

And I'm thinking to myself, at least cats can't cause hip/bone/joint problems... geez. I would definitely be SA over LA, I'm a big weenie!

Horses do seem to cause different injuries than cats and dogs. Hmm. Well, I know that stallions can bite, so I guess it just depends on what situation you get!

And I'm thinking to myself, at least cats can't cause hip/bone/joint problems... geez. I would definitely be SA over LA, I'm a big weenie!

Oh, belieeeveeee me, they ALL can bite! Haha I have a mare who can be nasty sometimes (she's getting crotchety in her old age, 22 this year), especially when you tighten her girth. My friend's mom was at the barn one time when I was tacking her up and when Lady pinned her ears and tossed her head like she does when you tighten her girth (even though I'm careful to do it slowly and gently) she tried to "comfort" her by petting her. I warned her to stay out of the way and she was like "Oh, I'm just making her feel better," and I said "No, you're going to get nailed." And lo and behold, she didn't take my advice, and ended up with an ENORMOUS bruise on her arm that turned all sorts of lovely colors :rolleyes:

To keep the thread on track, something else interesting about me is that I would MUCH rather deal with a fractious horse than a pissy dog.

Actually, when I got bit by a cat on my finger the urgent care doctor was afraid that the joints in my finger would never be the same again and that I would possibly need to have surgery on the finger and physical therapy to help the joints heal and repair. I have also heard of a few people losing fingers from cat bites and getting broken bones. Definitely don't think a cat will kill you like a horse could, but they could get you a few days in the hospital on IV antibiotics and a few months recovering from a bite. :)

I got bit by a rottie at the shelter I work at. Still love rotties, though :)

I constantly get beat up at work and half the time don't even know where my bruises and scratches came from. Sometimes it's the obvious vicious cat or kicking large dog, but usually, it's quite the mystery. I usually don't hold grudges because the animals are so often aggressive out of fear. But there was one cat who I still don't like. I was trying to change his litter box and ended up with a massive scratch along my arm. Didn't have time/energy to go the dr, so just kept an eye on it and I was okay, but one of the techs was quite insistent that I should get it checked out. Of course, this was two days before I flew across the country for an interview. I was very glad that my suit sleeve was long enough to cover it up. I have tons of battle scars, both from very stupid moments in life such as blending my finger, and from my animal friends, but yeah, they are mostly just visible when I'm cold.

To keep the thread on track, something else interesting about me is that I would MUCH rather deal with a fractious horse than a pissy dog.

I agree!!!!

I guess I should also put something else interesting...I am addicted to True Blood, Dexter, and Deadliest Catch!

I also have a really cool scar on my chin from missing the floor during a double pullback in tap (on new, not scuffed tap shoes!!).

Scar sharing is fun. I have too many to count. But a few of my favorites = hockey puck to the head, wiping out on a run in the middle of the road, and my most favorite of all is from a fawn when I was trying to wrangle it for medication. Got its hoof into my arm, was pretty deep, but now is an awesome scar.
I also agree with Elliegirl, I would much rather deal with a crazy horse than say, an insane cat who is out for blood!

Ooh! I got headbutted by a fawn in the chin (but no scar!) Any animal related stuff has healed (fortunately) but I have bad skin allergies, so it usually looks terrible until I attack it with Neosporin! I'm a huge klutz, but my most memorable scars are on both my knees. 1 from carpet burn, 1 from falling on ice. The other knee I fell at a boardwalk 2 years in a row as a child (at essentially the same place cause I got a band-aid from them each year).:laugh::laugh:

Now I feel guilty since I probably was the one who ripped the wheels off the cart. :)

So, um, something interesting about me. Er.

I've been at the controls of a plane at night in bad weather when the (only) engine decided to go on vacation. Fortunately, it all ended well.

I’ll play! Scars are like tattoos, I always love hearing the story behind them.
My most interesting animal-related scar is a deep clawmark in my forearm from when at the age of six I decided that since I liked swimming in the lake, the neighbour’s cat would also enjoy swimming in the lake. Wrong!

And since I haven’t yet posted here, I’ll add a few more things about me.

-I LOVE birds of all types. I love watching wild ones, interacting with tame ones and helping fix sick/injured ones.
-I’m currently finishing my Honours in biology. My thesis is on the nesting habitat of boreal and saw-whet owls, and I got to help out with my supervisor’s work in banding baby saw-whets.
-I’m not looking forward to being separated from my SO when I go to vet school – he’ll be doing his Master’s in math 300km away. :( We’re going to be using Skype a lot, but I will still miss him. And his cooking.
-I have a brown-headed parrot (Connor) who has a lot of issues and hates everyone who isn’t me. He's my little buddy, though my friends and family describe him differently ("crotchety old man" is a favourite).
-I used to be painfully shy. Still an introvert, but now I can talk to people I don’t know!
-I love being in a really big, really excited crowd (like at a big hockey game when the home team scores)
-I cry when I see a great horse race
-I don’t like the taste of alcohol
-I’m good at procrastinating but don’t deal well with not being right. I’m working on improving both this year.

I should go work on my biochem lab now. :)

Cause I totally love this topic of getting to know other people beside their pre-vet stats!

I’ll play! Scars are like tattoos, I always love hearing the story behind them.

-I LOVE birds of all types. I love watching wild ones, interacting with tame ones and helping fix sick/injured ones.
-I have a brown-headed parrot (Connor) who has a lot of issues and hates everyone who isn’t me. He's my little buddy, though my friends and family describe him differently ("crotchety old man" is a favourite).
-I used to be painfully shy. Still an introvert, but now I can talk to people I don’t know!
-I don’t like the taste of alcohol
-I’m good at procrastinating but don’t deal well with not being right. I’m working on improving both this year.

I should go work on my biochem lab now. :)

Totally agree! All scars (both physical & inner ones) have a story - and they're usually pretty awesome. What's your experience with birds? (Besides your own?) Your family's name for your parrot made me think of chinchillas. They always remind me of grumpy old men haha:laugh:. We have several things in common - very cool!:thumbup:

Now, go work on that biochem lab ;) I'm sure that's TONS of fun!!

Scars and tatoos? I have both, :p the tatoos were much more painful in my opinion. I have a few scars on my face from some meanie in grade school wacking me with a pointy stick, I don't know how he missed my eyes. A couple of scars on my hands and arms from burns when I used to cook. :p Tatoos from my high school years, along my spine and back, very very painful :(, probably will never get another. Fun times. :D

Attachments

• mlkcrop1.jpg
    mlkcrop1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 50
I'm a 25 yr old intact female long haired Japanese human. Spent my early childhood in Japan, rest of my childhood in the boonies in MA, my adolescence in CA, and my adulthood back in MA. Thank goodness I took 2 years off to work in a lab in MA, which put me at 24 when applying... cause otherwise I would not only have been a resident of no state, but a freaking international student! That would have put a damper on my vet school apps. About me:

• Still can't believe I've lived a quarter of a century. I still look and feel like an 18 yr old. More often than not, I get carded for R rated movies.
  • My only real hobbies in life: Sleeping, eating, and watching tv. I sleep an average of 10 hrs/night and that's on top of vet school and working/volunteering ~25 hrs/week. When I don't have any obligations, that goes up to 15-18 hrs/night. I eat a lot for my size too. I really think that I must have some sort of legion in the part of my brain that gives rise to satiety. I just never feel satisfied no matter how much I've eaten and/or slept. I can watch marathons of tv shows non-stop, but I can barely make it through most movies without falling asleep. I think movies just take too long to get to the point. I keep hearing psychologists say that hobbies outside of your career are essential to mental health... but my prob is that I don't find anything other than food, animals, and tv all that interesting.
  • My best friend is my little black cat "Meanie," probably cause she thinks I'm the sh**. She's the most loyal cat I've ever met.
  • No shocker based on the above that I'm pretty anti-social. I spend a lot of time with close friends, but outside of that, I would generally rather spend my free time sleeping. Can't drink either, so that probably contributes too. My face breaks out, I have a puke fest, and then I get knocked out for like 20 hrs, followed by a huge hangover... all after a bottle of beer.
  • Boyfriend is my rock. I kind of suck at life and wonder how I've made it this far, but he helps keep me in line. He tells me when I'm being b*tchy to him and/or others, and he's usually right. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have made it to my classes yesterday (first day of classes), cause I set my alarm for 6:30 pm... Sucks so very much that we're long distance.
  • I have 2 parrots in foster care, and for the most part, every major life decision I've made has been heavily influenced by them. Going to vet school was a big one, as has been leaving my bf in MA to be closer to them. If I didn't have my birdies, I don't think I would have even applied to CSU.

If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have made it to my classes yesterday (first day of classes), cause I set my alarm for 6:30 pm...

I HATE when I do that. So dumb! Thankfully I can set a million alarms that are weekly so I know if I get it right once, it will be right unless I actively change it. It was a disaster when I had to set a new one all the time...

Originally Posted by Minnerbelle
If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have made it to my classes yesterday (first day of classes), cause I set my alarm for 6:30 pm...

Originally Posted by Minnerbelle

I HATE when I do that. So dumb! Thankfully I can set a million alarms that are weekly so I know if I get it right once, it will be right unless I actively change it. It was a disaster when I had to set a new one all the time...

I too have had that same problem, but what happens to me most often is that the dang alarm clock just peters out. I can buy a new one every 6 months to a year(and not just cheap ones either) and they will need to be replaced at about that interval. I guess there is something about me that fries alarm clocks(and no i don't throw them across the room either...lol). The symptoms of my fried clocks include intermittent blinking, going off at strange times(like ringing at 3:54am when set for 8:30am), and then complete shutdown!!! Oh and then there are the ones that ring all the time and won't shut off no matter what you do(unless you unplug it and put it in the trash:confused: So currently, I have no alarm clock, I just rely on my baby to wake me up in the morning, and he usually does a good job of that:love:.

RE: Scars - I have a dent in my forehead from being dropped as a child. No, seriously. Explains so much. :D

I've also got dents in both thighs and one ankle from being kicked by horses on separate occasions.

My favorite scars are all over my left arm - I was scratched up by a stray cat when I was two. In my defense, he looked JUST like the cat we had who just died, and he wandered up our driveway. He did not want to be petted though, that's for sure. :rolleyes: And I was two. Lots more have been added to both arms and hands from fractious cats and dogs, as well as surgical scars!

I too have had that same problem, but what happens to me most often is that the dang alarm clock just peters out. I can buy a new one every 6 months to a year(and not just cheap ones either) and they will need to be replaced at about that interval. I guess there is something about me that fries alarm clocks(and no i don't throw them across the room either...lol). The symptoms of my fried clocks include intermittent blinking, going off at strange times(like ringing at 3:54am when set for 8:30am), and then complete shutdown!!! Oh and then there are the ones that ring all the time and won't shut off no matter what you do(unless you unplug it and put it in the trash:confused:
I gave up on alarm clocks a long time ago. I hate the beep that comes with them (it makes me nearly jump out of my skin), so I always used to set it to the radio instead. But the signal would always be touchy, and sometimes it'd turn on and just be static and I wouldn't hear it. So now I use the alarm on my Blackberry instead. It's just easier.

Oddly, I had alarm problems yesterday via my own stupidity. On Tuesdays, my first class isn't until 10, so I can sleep until 9. For whatever stupid reason, I woke up around 7:45 convinced that it was Wednesday and I had to be on campus for 8:30. "Why did I set my alarm for 9?! Did I forget to change it?? Thank gods, I woke -" *looks at date on phone* "...It's Tuesday." *rolls over and goes back to sleep*

Re: scars

Mine is not animal related, but I have a big dent in my right calf muscle from a car accident when I was 2 yrs old.(before carseats were used) We were in our little Dodge D50 pickup. My mom was driving and the wind blew hard enough for her to drift into the soft shoulder of the dirt road. That was enough to start us rolling we rolled three or four times. I remember seing the dirt and grass smash against the windshield:scared: I don't remember any sound though. I flew out and the pickup rolled on top of me and somehow my fingers were shut in the door. I remember my mother running around the pickup over and over and then just sitting beside me and then trying to dig me out from under the truck. She couldn't get my hands free so she just sat there with me. After the rescue I remember the hospital....I screamed and tried to get away because I thought they were going to give me shots....but later I was told that they were just trying to get x-rays....:( No broken bones, but my teeth were knocked loose. I remember the next day we had hamburgers and I was mad because it hurt to take a bite.
I remember the reason we were going to town too....we were going to get potatoes so we could make homemade fries.
This is my earliest memory!!! And then I don't have another memory until my 4th b-day party!!!

What is everyones earliest memory??:rolleyes:

i have a scar on my right nostril from a hamster bite. i must've been only 5-6 years old and was cuddling with my hamster. guess it didn't like being too close to my face because the next thing i knew, it chomped and i had blood gushing down my nose/face!

maybe this experience is why i'm generally not a fan of pocket pets or rodents. guinea pigs are perhaps the only exception to this. i love the sound of guinea pig squeals!

What's your experience with birds? (Besides your own?)

Let's see. I've been an avid birdwatcher for about 10 years now, participate in a bunch of citizen science projects related to figuring out the ranges and habits of wild birds and have lead a few small birding trips. In terms of hands-on, I've spent the past three summers and occasional days through the school year working at a wildlife rehabilitation centre that deals mainly with birds. I mostly do the daily patient care, but the owner/operator of the rehab centre is a vet, and I've been lucky enough to assist her with a variety of procedures. Raptors are my favourite birds, and I've gotten lots of experience with wild ones at the rehab centre, including my first solo eagle handling a couple of months ago! I've also gotten experience with handling trained raptors by spending time with local falconers and their hawks.

We have several things in common - very cool!:thumbup:
Agreed!

I have numerous tattoos, and several piercings.

No piercings for me (my ears used to be pierced, but I've let them grow back)... BUT I do have 5 tattoos. My favorite is the veterinary caduceus on my foot. It hurt, but is awesome looking. I also have a dog outline with the words "inside a dog beats the heart of a hero." I love the look of tattoos on me and on other people.

Also, another little tidbit about me, I have huge phobia of clowns. I've literally passed out after hyperventilating upon seeing one.

I think the nose piercing has to go. It makes me very sad, but it keeps flaring up here and there and I'm honestly not sure how to hide it well anyway. It stinks that I'll only have had it for about four months... but I don't want to have a weird nose thing going on for an interview, and I know that I can't just take it out - I accidentally pilled it out while drying my face, and it was VERY DIFFICULT to get back in after just 5 minutes.

Okay, OKAY. You've hooked me. I'm here. I'm posting.
  • I have a little mutt dog named Ella. Everytime we pass someone on a walk or out on errands, they stop and point and laugh at her. She is long with short legs, furry toes and a very lovely face. I'd guess Corgi, Golden Retriever, American Eskimo and Sheltie are in there somewhere but really, it's anyone's guess. I adopted her a couple of years ago from the shelter and she's become more and more deaf. I love her to pieces.
  • I've been riding since about 7 or 8 and I have always loved ponies so much more than normal sized horses. I'm not sure if being small myself has anything to do with it. My other hobbies are reading and cooking. I also love to watch animals interact. Animal behavior fascinates me to no end.
  • I have a scar on my right calf from falling off my dad's bike when I was about eight or so. The gear chain spike thing dug right into my leg. I somehow convinced my mom that I didn't need stitches. I can't feel it to this day. I probably should have had stitches :rolleyes:
  • My family and boyfriend mean the absolute world to me. I have a younger sister who is my best friend. I have a boyfriend of over 5 years who puts up with my silliness. I have friends too, but I tend to keep most people at arm's length. (Have I mentioned I'm an Aquarius?)
  • I am easily amused and have a child's delight in simple things. This includes Disney movies, lame jokes, postcards in the mail, anything that is pink, bubble baths, sleeping late, beds in general, painting my toes, rain on the roof, my birthday, cute cuddly little animals, etc. It probably doesn't help that I look like I'm 12.
  • I drive a manual transmission F150. When I drive an automatic I reach for the clutch and the shift and look like an idiot. The reaction I get is only marginally better than those my dog gets on walks!

Last edited:
I agree!!!!

I guess I should also put something else interesting...I am addicted to True Blood, Dexter, and Deadliest Catch!

True Blood!!!!!!!! I cant wait for the next season to start!!!

I hate doing that! I actually missed two classes in a row once b/c I set my alarm for 7:00pm instead of am. Then the next day I set my alarm for 8:45 to be sure I was up with plenty of time to get to my 8:30 class (Really don't know what I was thinking there -- maybe the universe was trying to tell me I need more sleep?)

BUT I do have 5 tattoos. My favorite is the veterinary caduceus on my foot. It hurt, but is awesome looking. I also have a dog outline with the words "inside a dog beats the heart of a hero." I love the look of tattoos on me and on other people.

I've been wanting a tattoo (my first) for a few years. My wife got me a gift certificate a year ago. But I just can't make up my mind.

However, after reading your post, I just may go with the classic Groucho Marx-ism: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Ok, probably not.

I'm willing to bet that many pre-vetters are likely to have some battle scars from work.

I've met very few folks that don't have scars. Some of them really make me wonder... For someone who has had numerous things occur, I have only a few battle scars. Guess I'm lucky??

Right thumb: Rhesus macaque who was WAY too antsy to wait for his peanuts. Took my glove and a small chunk of my finger along with the nuts.

Left index finger: A rhesus macaque was having a seizure and bit me. Obviously, he didn't mean it.

Right bicep: Overly playful dog with nails that needed a good trim.

Probable up an coming: Right index finger: Yorkshire swine. Normally he'll lick honey off my hands without so much as a tickle. But he was just a little too excited for his apples the other day.

Lots of stuff from medical procedures as well. The best is that you can play connect the dots on and around my left knee - 4 surgeries.

I also have a small-ish scar on my knee from getting bitten by a penguin. One of the penguins had it out for me and would run clear across the exhibit to attack me (but her brother was the sweetest boy ever).

I still have some scars where one of my mom's show roosters flogged me when I was little....right above my right cheekbone and they run towards my ear. I was also bitten on my upper arm by a nasty horse as a kid, it didn't leave a scar, but it was bruised for a looooong time.

First Time Poster! (Long time SDN stalker :))

I'm 22-almost 23.
Just got back from a 5 month research internship in Hong Kong.
Originally from Minnesota, but went to Undergrad in San Diego.
One BEAUTIFUL yellow lab named Cayenne :D
I am obsessed with hot yoga and have been doing it for about 3 years now
I also enjoy hiking and dancing
Interested in Marine Mammal vet med, but we'll see what happens in vet school:xf:
I LOVE traveling and can't wait to see the rest of the world!
I can't get enough of Glee, Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family

Just got back from a 5 month research internship in Hong Kong.
I am obsessed with hot yoga and have been doing it for about 3 years now
I also enjoy hiking and dancing
Interested in Marine Mammal vet med, but we'll see what happens in vet school:xf:
I LOVE traveling and can't wait to see the rest of the world!
I can't get enough of Glee, Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family

Welcome, kelseygap!! What research did you do in Hong Kong?? :thumbup::thumbup: to your interests - I have some identical ones!! :laugh: