Introduction and asking for adivce?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mothman87

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for some time, but decided to finally make this post and ask for some advice as I am currently really struggling.

I am 31 years old married with a 9 year old son. I have taken quite the long way around, but have finally realized that medicine is where my passion is and I would like to at least attempt to attend medical school. Unfortunately, I was less than serious in my previous studies and it's finally coming back to hurt me now. I'll share a little of my educational background for context and then the decision I'm struggling with. I recently graduated with my DNP and will be starting as a FNP in October. Prior to that I worked as an RN in the ER for 2 years, 2 years on an acute telemetry floor, and 1 year as a RN in a long term care center. The reason I want to pursue medicine is that I was disappointed with the depth and breadth of knowledge I learned in NP school and crave the deeper knowledge of medical school. I also desire a larger scope of practice and would specifically like to work in emergency medicine. The issue is with my grades...

sGPA=2.40, undergrad GPA=3.04, graduate GPA=3.51

I have a clear upward trend in my grades and my DNP is from a four year state university system that has associated medical, dental, and pharmacy schools as opposed to a for profit completely online DNP. I know I still need to improve my grades and take some other pre-reqs but am struggling with how I would do it. As I look at it I have three options...

Local CC = Cheaper (I already have $70,000 in student loans), very close to my home, could easily afford it once I start my new job as an FNP, could have the option to take evening classes which would be necessary as after October comes I'll be working 9-5 M-F.

Back to 4-year state = More expensive, a little bit further away, could probably still afford it but it would be significantly harder. More prestigious that CC, but less than my last option.

WashUStL Post Bacc = Obviously I would need to apply and get in. I can get good recommendations from physicians at BJH as I've already spoken to them about it. This would be most expensive and furthest from my house, and as I look at it I am basically paying for the name.

Fourth option = remain an FNP but be professionally and personally unfulfilled. I have to keep this in mind as an economic reality. If I just had myself to worry about this would not be something I would consider, but I do have my family to think of as well.

Thanks for reading this long winded thing. I look forward to hearing everyone's responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it. If your spouse is on board, explore all of the options that you outlined above and see which is truly the most feasible. You have to shoot for straight As on the prereqs and make sure to demolish the MCAT. I’m dead serious, shoot for the 4.00 and a 511 (at least). Be warned that the upper level hard science courses will be much harder than your nursing courses.

If you go ahead with it, get an electronic dossier service so that you can begin compiling letters of recommendation from your professors as you take classes (letters from physicians are nice and all but most schools don’t want them, they typically want 2 from science faculty and 1 from non science faculty). Get some volunteer time (not a ton, just something you can do every once in a while over the next few years). Your clinical time will serve you well.

Most med schools will prefer courses from a college/University rather than a CC. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
What's your undergrad degree in? If in the sciences, it's going to be an extremely tall order to raise it to a reasonable GPA for med school consideration, be it MD or DO.

Are you prepared to invest several more years to this journey before being in a place where you can apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad degree is in nursing. I am willing to commit two years before I apply. I have taken 27 science credits so I should be able to raise my science gpa considerably.

It's good to have that mindset up front.

How many, and which courses, of the pre-reqs have you completed so far?

I would have a year of bio and gen chem 1. I think I would just take everything again though for refresher for MCAT purposes.

Don't retake unless you scored a D (or below) in those courses. General biology and chemistry are easy enough you can catch rather quickly. If you add a fair amount of science courses, you should target for a 3.5+ sGPA when the dust settles. I'm not sure how many credit hours you have in total, but obviously acing your sciences course will help your cumulative GPA, but I don't know how probable it is to realize a substantial increase.

I would take any subjects you don’t feel comfortable with; if that includes redoing chem and bio, just do it. Study hard during those courses. It will help you with the MCAT. With your gpa where it is, you should take any advantage you can get — that includes a good couple months of dedicated prep time for the mcat. While your sGPA should rise up a fair amount, your cGPA probably won’t, and they don’t care a whole lot about graduate work. Your MCAT has to be high to offset that.

Community College courses are fine OP. I finished most of my pre reqs at ccs and had a successful cycle. Your background of solid GPA in DNP program at 4 year aleviates cc concerns even further. Adcoms are people too. I they will understand why you took cc classes.
I would not retake your bio and Gen Chem. I think you'll find it's not that hard to relearn the material for the mcat from those classes.
Shoot for a 4.0 in your remainder pre reqs. That and a solid Mcat and I think you have a very good shot at Do in a year or two. MD may be tough but depends on state and mcat score. EM is totally attainable as a do.
If this is your dream go for it. I know a couple pas and nps in a similar dilemma. 31 isn't that old man. You'll be an EM atdneing by 40ish. If your family is on board, go for it. Good luck