Introverted PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mononokexmoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello PT's of SDN, I'm currently extremely interested and set on becoming a PT myself but I have had no luck in shadowing anyone in my area to make any observations about this, so I figure to ask on here for advice. I'm not a shy person by any means but I tend to be a little bit of an introvert, I have no problems being physically close to people like PT's are but at times I can just be a little socially awkward. By that I mean sometimes I have trouble thinking of things to talk about on the spot, and a lot of social interaction (talking) wears me out after a while. Whenever I come home from my job (food retail) I just want to spend time on my own and recharge my energy to be social again, I don't dislike people at all (or I wouldn't want to go in this field to begin with) but I worry that PT's are expected to be extroverted 100% of the time which isn't me. Are all PT's extroverted? Does this career demand for that? Or are any PT's or PTA's here themselves introverts?

Members don't see this ad.

I worry that PT's are expected to be extroverted 100% of the time which isn't me. Are all PT's extroverted? ?

That's not true at all. Don't let anyone tell you that. I'm not shy but I'm definitely introverted, because I need time alone to recharge and recuperate. That's the definition of an introvert. You don't have to make conversation all the time. Your patients will do that for you. All you have to do is ask questions and share some of your experiences. Don't be a performer. Be a clinician.

Reactions: 4 users
I was also nervous about this when I became interested in PT. Small talk has always been challenging for me, but it's much easier to talk to patients than I thought. People like to talk about themselves. The PT's I shadowed often asked about their hobbies, where they've traveled recently, current sporting events, where they worked, etc. It'll get more natural over time, but you gotta put yourself out there and start shadowing!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The introvert/extrovert thing is total bs. Don't buy into it.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all for the responses!

NewTestament and Kuhdaytee: I've really come to realize that people love to talk about themselves so I hope that this carries into my experience throughout my career :) thank you two for reassuring me about this.

Azimuthal: I've tried to convince myself that it's all bs haha but even without a label I just tend to keep to myself until I become comfortable with someone (which is why I think I would love PT, building a relationship with patients unlike other healthcare professions)

I'm exactly the same way - I'm pretty shy, particularly in larger groups, until I get to know people better. I also think PT is perfect for me because of that - I'll be able to remember patients and what we talked about, because the treatments are a lot longer and more often than other professions.

I rarely feel weird around patients because they tend to talk a lot, and even if they don't, you'll be able to talk about your treatment and explain things as you work.

Hey! So I'm definitely an introvert and can relate, and it's helped me formulate some awesome relationships with patients. As Kuhdaytee said you remember things patients say. I've found that I'm a pretty good listener and remember many things about patients. I'll bring it up their next visit or a couple after and they really appreciate it. Its developed trust and a sense of comfort among myself and them. I find that's how I've had really meaningful conversations with patients. But in the beginning of my job as a tech I was so worried about making conversation. But now it just flows. Even patients I think at first won't really be talkative after a few visits they are. So hang in there! . There is always something to start a conversation with you'll get creative and connect with your patients just fine :) Its good to be aware of what you need to recharge !

I have a good friend in PT school who is also very introverted, and not afraid of people or shy in anyway...she just doesn't like to be the center of the conversation and tends to shy away from big social gatherings. She was a CNA before school, and is going to be an awesome PT. There's no reason there isn't room for all personality styles in physical therapy....the job description is now a spectrum of different areas, each with their own challenges and demands for the therapist. You will do great.

I consider myself a huge introvert with sociable tendencies and I absolutely love PT school. I definitely do not think your typical PT has to fit into an extroverted mold.

I love weeks where I can hole up and literally not speak a single word. That said, I can carry a conversation (mostly by asking followup questions and making little "Oh, that's cool!" type remarks). Took me 11 applications, but I got a non-waitlisted acceptance!

There are def PTs/PTAs that seem somewhat withdrawn, but they're really good at what they do. As some admissions officers told me, introverted PTs can connect better with introverted patients.

That said...start brushing up on those social skills now, since you may need to interview for a position. I'm a little wary of non-interview schools since they seem like they'd accept min/maxers who just pump everything into getting high GPA/GRE numbers - and I don't want to be around a class of people like that :q

I'm a die-hard introvert. I did just fine in PT school and I'm thriving as a PT. You'll be just fine.

Being an introvert doesn't mean that you're socially awkward or don't enjoy being around people. It means that you need "alone time" to recharge your batteries.

It also isn't a black or white label you can slap on someone. There's a spectrum. I know plenty of therapists who are tend to be more on the Introverted Side, and they do just fine. You very well may be socially awkward, but that doesn't = introvert.

I don't take anything I read describing the characteristics of introverts vs extroverts very seriously...people are a whole lot more complicated than that. There are extremely gregarious people and people who are just flat out shy in PT and everything in between, but few of them could be easily and accurately labeled as "extroverted" or "introverted". It is all dependent on the circumstance a person is in. There are all types of personalities in PT...you have nothing to worry about. As you go through school and get exposure to different clinical settings and patient populations you will find something you feel naturally comfortable with. The flavors of interactions you have with people vary widely across different practice settings and specialties.

Last edited:
just with anything, talking with strangers takes time and practice. with more experience, whether it's retail/sales/service industry, or working at a clinic, you'll notice an improvement in your interpersonal skills. don't worry too much about it.

Hey You
iam an introvert but i have a great career. look. your idea of yourself is completely different from how other people look at you .you underestimate yourself,they do not .
you work as you have learned and dont think that all people are judging you . you are so good .