Invent/design your own med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so after all this debating on what I want out of a med school, i got to talkin to Ambs. we thought it'd be cool to hear what your ideal med school would be. what'd be YOUR perfect school, inc. location, curriculum, grading, atmosphere, clinical, research. here's mine

Pass/fail
Block schedule (one major test at a time)
2nd year 2nd semester class devoted to USMLE Step 1
Campus near undergrad campus if not the same.
affordable clean apartments walking distance to school.
Many hospitals to rotate at 3rd and 4th year
Near a beach

alright... let's hear it?

oh yeah... and full scholarship would be nice.

*half credit of this thread is give to Ambs*
we're nerds. i swear.

Members don't see this ad.

And here's mine. Remember I'm inventing my own.

Location: I'm a city girl. I must have access to fine eats, shopping, and nightlife. A beach nearby would be fabulous. (As if I'd have the time for all that!)

Weather: Sunny with cool breezes and absolutely no humidity. Humidity is horrible to my hair.

Curriculum: Block system. Also the option of taking electives, like medical spanish, medical history, etc.

Grading: Pass/fail

Atmosphere: Competitive but in a motivating and not life-threatening manner. Cooperative, laid-back, happy.

Clinical: Huge focus on clinical as early as possible, i.e. first week. Lots of opportunities clinically, including preceptorships with practicing physicians.

Research: Strong in cardiovascular diseases (that's what I'm interested in at this moment)

OK, let's hear yours!!!!!

oh yeah, I forgot, the school also has to be #1 on both US news research and primary care rankings for at least ten consecutive years.

and last and most important, lots and lots of attractive men would be nice.

:laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as it includes naps and graham crackers, I'm game.

90% "hot chicks" entering class. :D

-Pass/Fail/Honors
-Completely wired with the latest tech (totally wifi/3D projectors/etc...)
-Plastinated Cadavers
-Underground ramp parking solely for medical students and faculty (never have to walk outside in the rain again)
-Tall building with multiple floors dedicated to the library
-Enrollment of under 100
-One class at a time for a few weeks, than switch, than switch.
-Field Trips (not like the 3rd grade kind, but maybe to like a seminar on ethics or something)
-Generous Alumni who open up their wallets to many students
-Apartments a part of the medical school complex (since you're going to live in the library anyways)
-Instant grading, I want to walk out the classroom put my test into the scantron myself, and get my grade on my pocket PC instantly.
-Professors who are knowledgable but loose, friendly, but professional
-Competitions between other medical schools (ie: paintball versus X school on saturday)
-Open courtyard for tanning/relaxing
-A fountain is a MUST
-Free counseling services for when you go mad
-School sponsored/paid for USMLE prep courses

My perfect school should be close by to another med. school or graduate school. That way, when I'm bored with everyone in my class after two years, I'll have new people to mess around with ;)

AStudent said:
-Pass/Fail/Honors
-Completely wired with the latest tech (totally wifi/3D projectors/etc...)
-Plastinated Cadavers
-Underground ramp parking solely for medical students and faculty (never have to walk outside in the rain again)
-Tall building with multiple floors dedicated to the library
-Enrollment of under 100
-One class at a time for a few weeks, than switch, than switch.
-Field Trips (not like the 3rd grade kind, but maybe to like a seminar on ethics or something)
-Generous Alumni who open up their wallets to many students
-Apartments a part of the medical school complex (since you're going to live in the library anyways)
-Instant grading, I want to walk out the classroom put my test into the scantron myself, and get my grade on my pocket PC instantly.
-Professors who are knowledgable but loose, friendly, but professional
-Competitions between other medical schools (ie: paintball versus X school on saturday)
-Open courtyard for tanning/relaxing
-A fountain is a MUST
-Free counseling services for when you go mad
-School sponsored/paid for USMLE prep courses

Its funny you mention apartments in the med school.

This past fall, I toured FSU's new school of medicine and they have these kick a$$ learning communities within two floors of their new medical school building. In the learning communities, which are shared between a few students (one floor for first years, and the other for second years) they have the following:

A full bathroom with shower
Sofas
Recliner chairs
An adjoining conference room to study
A full kitchen (stove, fridge, etc.)
Business copy/fax/printer machine. Its like the big copiers, like the ones at kinko's or in business offices etc. The copiers weren't there when I toured, but when my friend interviewed, she said they were there.

Also FSU also has new high wired technologically advanced equipment in all the classes. I think some of the things you are looking for, you'll find in newer schools or more highly funded schools.

beer in the vending machines
required "clinical" rotation in cancun during the 3rd year
standardized patient program with the Hawaiian Tropic Girls

aahhh... we can only dream....