Iowa University of Syracuse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuDream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely torn between these schools and I am hoping for advice on where to go! I am very interested in research and I am planning to complete my pHD. Iowa, as most people have seen on the US News Report is ranked #2 and has a very research oriented program. This ranking system, which I am not too sure is of any value seems to be what is keeping my interest and I dont know how great of a pull that is. Syracuse although ranked lower (21) has offered me a full scholarship for my first year and is building a brand new facility for this upcoming September. I was curious to know if anyone has any experience with these two schools or which would be a better option for my interest. Any direction would be of great help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about Syracuse, but I'm an undergraduate senior in the department at Iowa. Iowa's my first choice, but I was waitlisted. I've decided to wait it out though because I'm in-state and it just make sense. I, too, am interested in obtaining my Aud/PhD. Iowa gets a LOT of funding for their research projects and all the professors are great/helpful people. The building is pretty old and they're not going to get a new one any time soon (due to the flood in 2008). I'm not too impressed with some of their placements, but that's because the state of Iowa doesn't have a lot of hearing clinics in general. I would assume that New York would have many more. Iowa's hospital is a big benefit to the program though. They have a lot of resources for us in terms of research and the Oto clinic is busy. But I will say, it's rare you'll land a job there after graduation (because of what they call "inbreeding").

I don't know if you're in-state or not, but Iowa can get expensive for out-of-state people and it's really hard to get in-state status. Iowa offers funding to about 2 or 3 people on average each year for the new AuD cohort. After that, funding is given to students based on availability. It's likely that you'll get funding at some point during the 4 years (whether it be for a full year or for a semester), but funding goes out to their Ph.D. students first, so if you're going to stick it out the whole 7 years, you'll get funding, but it may not be every year or every semester.

It looks like Syracuse's program takes about 6 years to complete, while Iowa's takes about 7 (according to their websites). That's another thing to consider. The rankings are pretty loosely based, I think; especially after reading the technique behind them. It sounds cliche, but I would go to the school that you think you'll feel comfortable, where you're excited to attend. I wouldn't let those rankings be the deciding factor. I'm interested in hearing aid/cochlear implant research and I know Iowa is pretty big on that. I don't know what you're interests are, but I would research some of the professors and their research labs and see if any of it interests you. Syracuse looks like they have some good research focuses overall (depending on your interests) and the new clinic sounds great. It's always nice to be in a new facility with new equipment. Like I touched on before, they have some pretty good clinical placements and their retention rates are just as good as Iowa's. And even better, they gave you a scholarship!

Good luck! I know how hard this is! I hope I was some help to you!