iPad in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theheatles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any dental students out there that have any thoughts about the use of an iPad in dental school. All opinions are greatly appreciated non specific to any dental schools.

Members don't see this ad.

For any dental students out there that have any thoughts about the use of an iPad in dental school. All opinions are greatly appreciated non specific to any dental schools.

we have a wave of students who use them in lectures bc of the ease of taking notes on ppt slides using an app I can't recall the name of. Those people claim it is a gift from the gods, I cant justify the expense of an iPad for the use I would get out of it since I just play games on my iPhone during lecture anyway.

I cant justify the expense of an iPad for the use I would get out of it since I just play games on my iPhone during lecture anyway.

I think that this is an example of why NOT to get an iPad. They end up being more of a distraction than a tool to get work done.

Members don't see this ad :)
People act like tablets are some magical gift from the gods. They're small computer with phone-based operating systems and large touch screens. If what you do is mostly reading, internet and email AND you have a desktop/laptop at home, they're a great tool. I love reading on mine.

I wont say my iPad is a gift from the Gods, but I do use it every day. It's great for lectures...I dump all of my ppt's into an app called Noterize then take notes with a stylus just as I would if it was printed out. That's been the biggest convenience for me. I don't have to print anything out, and all of my lectures are in one spot. As a result my backpack has gotten a lot lighter. I've been good about not playing games on it tho, I still save that honor for my iPhone. I think it's been a help and I'm getting good use out of it. A bunch of people in my class picked one up after they chatted with me about it and they all seem to be glad they got one.

Scotty

Skim (a program for mac computers) is great as well. You can take notes on pdf slides, and use Ms. PowerPoint for powerpoint, and you have a full keyboard. I'll race you with my keyboard and you scribling on your ipad. I bet my notes are neater too.

But it sounds like you want an ipad - so you'll probably end up getting one.

Skim (a program for mac computers) is great as well. You can take notes on pdf slides, and use Ms. PowerPoint for powerpoint, and you have a full keyboard. I'll race you with my keyboard and you scribling on your ipad. I bet my notes are neater too.

But it sounds like you want an ipad - so you'll probably end up getting one.

Know a similar program for Windows?

microsoft onenote...

trust me, as a current dental student. Print slides to OneNote, take notes on slides, review notes for exam-->pass exam

it's that straight forward

onenote (2010) is the greatest program ever invented

trust me, as a current dental student. Print slides to OneNote, take notes on slides, review notes for exam-->pass exam

it's that straight forward

onenote (2010) is the greatest program ever invented

How does onenote work? I've tried to use it a little bit, but it doesn't make sense! I take notes directly in .ppt files. Is there a way to combine all the ppt's into one by using onenote?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm old school when it comes to taking notes. I like to handwrite notes because I can draw figures and mark up the margins. How do you handle notes like that when you are typing?

Okay anyone's opinions are much appreciated here. I'm gonna be starting dental school this fall and I have no computer or ipad and am debating which I should get. So it's not like i have a computer and am just debating on whether or not to blow another $600 on an ipad. What would you do in my situation. I'm seeing that for the 32 GB ipad 2 (wi fi only), they're running around $600. Also I hear I can possibly save money just on the PDF versions on textbooks alone. What are your thoughts on recording classes with the ipad? Is 32 GB enough? Or should i just not try to be one of the cool kids and get a laptop?

Okay anyone's opinions are much appreciated here. I'm gonna be starting dental school this fall and I have no computer or ipad and am debating which I should get. So it's not like i have a computer and am just debating on whether or not to blow another $600 on an ipad. What would you do in my situation. I'm seeing that for the 32 GB ipad 2 (wi fi only), they're running around $600. Also I hear I can possibly save money just on the PDF versions on textbooks alone. What are your thoughts on recording classes with the ipad? Is 32 GB enough? Or should i just not try to be one of the cool kids and get a laptop?

get a laptop for 500 dont look back

an iPad is only good if it is used to supplement a full functioning PC/mac.

Quick question here about using Noterize, I posted it elsewhere but I will post here as well as I think you might answer better/more quickly:

I really like what I'm reading here. I went and tried noterize out on a friend's iPad, and have only one complaint.

My professors provide powerpoints with paragraphs of text in the annotation box (aka presentor's notes, etc) that you see below the slide when you are flipping through slides as if to edit them. This information is crucial for me to have available, yet when I add powerpoints to noterize this is not presented. Rather, only the slides are presented, and not the notes below.

Is there any way around this? I know I could "print" the powerpoint to a PDF driver in the form that shows notes below, then import as a PDF. However, this is unacceptable for two reasons: 1.) Loss of quality for images in the slide that I might want to zoom in and see fine detail, and 2.) I want to export these files back to my PC running Windows 7 which indexes all the text in PPT files for me to do a generic search of all my files (but does not index text in PDFs)

Am I missing something, or is there no way to do what I am hoping? Are there any plans to add this functionality?

Thanks!

I have used an ipad 2 in undergrad for the past 6 months... i wrote a fairly detailed synopsis on it in another thread. Overall it is a great supplemental tool, but in no way can it replace a computer... i thought it would be a time saver, but it has ended up being more of a time waster. I love it, but i wouldn't rely on it as a primary tool...

Here is my synopsis from the other thread... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813879

I recently won an ipad from work and have had it for about a month-ish... so i feel i can weigh in accordingly. First off, the only difference between the gen-1 and gen-2 is the camera, better processor, and it's lighter/thinner, all same apps are available.

When i first got it, i thought it was a godsend... however it has actually been more of a time waster, than saver. I seriously love it, but i definitely don't think it should be used in lieu of a primary computer, but rather as a tool to supplement your personal computer.

I have and continue to spend money on apps to make it school savvy. Here is a list of apps that i have found useful, with price and description:
Atomic Browser, $1, tabbed internet browsing
-Microsoft Quick Office, $15, edit and create word, excel, and pp docs
-GoodReader $3 and Noterize $4, edit and annotate PDF docs, both have different features that i like. GoodReader has a very good doc organizing features.
-UPAD, $5, best note taking app out there (and i bought 4), can write, type, record 30 min of audio per file, and then email it to yourself as PDF. ***Key feature - you can write very large in the tab, it then shrinks it down to regular paper level.
-Keynote, $10, best app for pp docs, much better at editing, and overall more user friendly.
-Dropbox, free, this is the best way i have found to toggle documents between primary computer and ipad.
-istudiez pro, $3 (i think), basically it is a calendar app meant for keeping track of school assignments, grades, etc. Very useful if used properly.

After the past month of trying to figure all this out, i finally feel i have it where i like, however i know things will keep coming out and i will keep refining it.

Also recommend: Calculator Pro, Skype, Pandora, Angry Birds Rio, Words w/ Friends, and Zynga Poker

Now other things to consider.... i was actually surprised at how easy it is to type on. I can type pretty much just as fast as i can on a normal keyboard. However, you have to hold your wrists up in a funky position, and typing for more than 15 minutes gets tiring. So if you plan on doing a lot of typing, buy the wireless keyboard. For writing you have to buy a stylus that simulates a figure, so the tip is pliable and about a 1/4 inch in diameter. It is really not conducive for accurate writing, especially if your writing sucks like mine, that is why UPAD is essential. Even still i don't love it.

It is also important to consider that while browsing the internet, some sites automatically go into "mobile mode", which kind of sucks and i haven't found a way around this yet.

Other random thoughts:
I have the basic 16GB, wifi, straight $500
Now if you are going to use it for school, you might want to go for the 32GB or 64GB, which are much more expensive. Especially if you want to download music or videos on there.... i had to limit my music/vid library to 8 GB. It is nice that if you want the 3G, it is not contractual, it is only a flat fee month to month and you can cancel anytime.

So between the $500 for ipad (free for me), $50 for initial apps, $50 case, and the hundreds more you will spend on apps, music, etc. You have to decide if it's worth it. If you want the 64GB 3G plan on $830 plus $25 a month for the 3G.

Overall, it is awesome and i love it, however, if i had not won it... i would not have bought it for myself. My personal laptop does way more than it can... and i don't have to keep buying apps.

Good luck, hope this helped! :horns:

Very good summary UltimateHombre ! Thank's

I have used a iPad 2 to supplement by computer throughout my first semester in dental school. After some experience, I still believe the computer to be superior for taking notes and studying (bigger screen, real keyboard and trackpad). But I use the iPad very frequently as a substitute, since I can access all my books (VitalSource), class notes (PDF or PPT), as well as email, calendar, etc on it.

I have found AirDisplay to be a very useful app. I use it to connect my iPad to my laptop as a second display. I can then drag figures (like anatomy drawings, biochem flow charts) to the iPad and then study from my notes on the computer simultaneously. Since I can access everything separately on the iPad, I don't even need to share the screen but it's a nice added bonus to be able to drag and drop what I want to the iPad. Plus, whatever I drag to the iPad has touch-screen functionality.

I also have found Visible Body to be a great iPad app for studying anatomy. Ideally, it would have more detail but it is still pretty impressive.

Plus, an iPad is much easier to use for listening to music while in pre-clinic. The laptop takes up too much counter space.

I would suggest to get the Macbook pro since it definitely has more tools to write up your notes and even record the lectures and transfer them to your macbook using your USB drive.

Has anyone tried using the Samsung Galaxy Tabs? Would you say that a Galaxy Tab would be just as useful as an iPad, or is there something about the iPad that would make it more preferable over the Galaxy Tabs?

From what I hear, it seems like a tablet would be useful in dental school, but I prefer the Samsung Galaxy Tabs over the iPads. Any inputs?

Has anyone tried using the Samsung Galaxy Tabs? Would you say that a Galaxy Tab would be just as useful as an iPad, or is there something about the iPad that would make it more preferable over the Galaxy Tabs?

From what I hear, it seems like a tablet would be useful in dental school, but I prefer the Samsung Galaxy Tabs over the iPads. Any inputs?

A tablet is a tablet. Android versus iOS much like Windows versus OSX. It really comes down to which you're more comfortable. For the money, android based tablets give you better hardware. Case in point, in the next few weeks Asus will be releasing the new Transformer Prime with the Tegra 3 (Quard Core processor) in it for 500. Apps often found for iPads/iPhones are often also found (or something similar) in the android market place. Hope this helps!