iPad v. iPad pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What will you be buying/what do you have?

• iPad 6th gen

• iPad pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

SadAsian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve searched the forums but nothing recent and nothing too in-depth about people’s opinion on the 6th gen iPad.

Is the Pro that much more worth it than the sixth generation? Besides screen quality, is there that much of a difference between the two? I’m debating between 128gb ipad 6 and the 64/256gb iPad pro. Would 64gb iPad pro be too small? I also have a laptop and have a lot of my files on google drive.

Thanks in advance, happy new year to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

What will it be used for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just buy the apple pencil with it and youll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
the professional version sounds better because its the professional version and not just the original version.

Just buy the apple pencil with it and youll be fine

Don’t think that works with the normal iPad.

At least not the way it’s supppsed to... (would just be an expensive stylus).

EDIT: I’m not up to date. Changed March 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think that works with the normal iPad.

At least not the way it’s supppsed to... (would just be an expensive stylus).
From my research you get all the same support. You get tilt support and pressure sensitvity and palm rejection. All pen features from the pro are there

If you're going to make it last, get the iPad Pro. 64GB is plenty - look into getting cloud storage too since that'll help you integrate notes between your devices. And the Apple Pencil, of course. Should last you several years.

From my research you get all the same support. You get tilt support and pressure sensitvity and palm rejection. All pen features from the pro are there

You’re right, but only starting with the new iPad released March 2018. And the Pencil still says it’s only for the Pro. Apple is definitely up to some weird stuff these days.

I have 6th gen and it works fine with Apple Pencil. Idk if spending extra on the Pro is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going to make it last, get the iPad Pro. 64GB is plenty - look into getting cloud storage too since that'll help you integrate notes between your devices. And the Apple Pencil, of course. Should last you several years.
if you want to "make it last" just get the 128gb ipad 6th gen. For just notes the Ipad pro so overkill and way more expensive for no reason.

iPad Pro has way more utility and with the new keyboard attachable case - its nearly as functional as a laptop. Plus its great for taking notes. Just note that there may be addition costs (such as the keyboard case and Apple Pencil).

Don't worry about storage. There is cloud storage (50GB for $1 per month), which is an amazing deal.

OP already has a laptop. Ipad pro will never be a full desktop/laptop. OP said they will use it writing notes. The Ipad pro is overkill for this purpose.

You’ll just want enough storage and to be able to take notes. I used the Apple Pencil and Notability and used about 30 GB the first two years of med school.

I loved taking notes on my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil during years 1-2. Saved me so much paper, and I could search my hand written notes after.

Highly recommend the iPad pro

iPad Pro is the way to go. Just be ready for some overhead costs that come with all Apple products (Extended warranty - highly recommend, Apple Pencil, and a decent case with a keyboard.)