iphone vs android for M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ir0nsoul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My contract with verizon is up for renewal, so i've been looking at either the iphone 4s or the droid razr. Do y'all have any opinions as to which would be better for an M1/M2? (never had a smartphone before) Would the bigger screen of the droid be nicer for any useful apps or are there more useful apps on the iphone? Would the shorter battery life due to the bigger screen and the 4g make a difference or not so much? All opinions welcome! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My contract with verizon is up for renewal, so i've been looking at either the iphone 4s or the droid razr. Do y'all have any opinions as to which would be better for an M1/M2? (never had a smartphone before) Would the bigger screen of the droid be nicer for any useful apps or are there more useful apps on the iphone? Would the shorter battery life due to the bigger screen and the 4g make a difference or not so much? All opinions welcome! Thanks

We had a nice thread in the clinical rotations forum about this.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=906400

Just a comment, you can turn off the 4g data whenever you want with any simple baterry apps or through your phone settings if you want. Also when you are connected to wifi, the 4g is off. Everyone has an opinion as to which is better. My opinion is that the bigger screen makes it more useful and easy to use. I have been able to get up to 36 hours of use on a galaxy s2 with typical use. YMMV.

Yes, i read through that thread. I was wondering if there wouldn't be differences for the ideal phone through the first two years, rather than on rotations. Looking up anatomy might be easier on a phone with a larger screen for example, unless the iphone has a better app for that. Thanks for the response tho!

Members don't see this ad :)

wait for iPhone 5?

You're pretty much going to be sitting behind your computer at a table or study cubicle throughout MS1/MS2. The type of phone won't matter too much as you will almost always be able to open your computer's browser and google whatever you need to google. Go with whatever one is more comfortable.

Once you go Apple you never go back..

Unless your school requires you to get a smart phone, there's no reason you need one for M1.

My solution has been to continue using my "dumb" phone and use an Ipod touch as a PDA. Seeing as the school has WiFi, I've rarely been somewhere where I absolutely had to get online and didn't have access. (Almost) all the advantages of a smartphone without the ridiculously expensive contract.

Unless your school requires you to get a smart phone, there's no reason you need one for M1.

My solution has been to continue using my "dumb" phone and use an Ipod touch as a PDA. Seeing as the school has WiFi, I've rarely been somewhere where I absolutely had to get online and didn't have access. (Almost) all the advantages of a smartphone without the ridiculously expensive contract.
Seconded. Rarely did I use 3g for intarwebz.

it only matters based on which one's games you like better. You will not be using it for any real gain in medical school

it only matters based on which one's games you like better. You will not be using it for any real gain in medical school
Nah, I got a fair bit of work out of the uworld app and Gunner Training on mobile Safari (very handy during mandatory and inevitably pointless lectures).

eh I suppose.... I just dont go to those lectures ;)

went from iPhone to android....not going back. I got the galaxy s2 and now the s3 looks even better.

I just picked up a RAZR maxx and am in love w it. With Android you just have to be careful how much crap you install from the market as too many programs will bog it down. IPhone would be the same way if it had anything other than games and coffee shop finder apps ;)

Go outside and pick up a rock. Use said rock for your phone. It will be just as useful for your first two years.

If you want a smartphone for yourself, go to the stores and test both of them out. Then pick which one you like more.

You're pretty much going to be sitting behind your computer at a table or study cubicle throughout MS1/MS2. The type of phone won't matter too much as you will almost always be able to open your computer's browser and google whatever you need to google. Go with whatever one is more comfortable.

Truth. M1=glorified biology major. Phone does not matter.

Once you go Apple you never go back..

I did..
I went from android to the iPhone 4s. It was ok, but when my phone was stolen I gladly went back to Android with the SII

It doesn't matter. You can use either one to play Drawsomething with your friends in a boring lecture.