IPLEDGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can the IPLEDGE portion be completed online by the dermatologist remotely if they are at home or away from their office?

My wife frequently has to call their office to remind them to fill out their portion of IPLEDGE online.

She called the doctor on all and she said she did not have the ability to do it because she was away from the office.

From my understanding a refill for accurate would not even be prescribed unless there was verification of a negative pregnancy test in the first place.

I'm failing to see any reason why this person is not able to go online to the website and complete the online questionnaire.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They were most likely very nicely letting you know that your use of their after hours call system for ipledge inquiries was inappropriate.

Just like your use of this forum for this kind of question.

Can the IPLEDGE portion be completed online by the dermatologist remotely if they are at home or away from their office?

My wife frequently has to call their office to remind them to fill out their portion of IPLEDGE online.

She called the doctor on all and she said she did not have the ability to do it because she was away from the office.

From my understanding a refill for accurate would not even be prescribed unless there was verification of a negative pregnancy test in the first place.

I'm failing to see any reason why this person is not able to go online to the website and complete the online questionnaire.

Yes, the iPledge portion can be completed outside of the office. In most cases, private practice attendings haven't touched the iPledge system since residency and have delegated that task to in-office staff (and probably don't even know their own password to log in) which is why you are meeting resistance by directly phoning a physician.

This probably perpetuates a bad stereotype among dermatologists but very few will be happy to answer calls outside of the office for iPledge, particularly if they are covering for the actual prescriber. I realize there is a small window to pick up the medicine (particularly for females) so I would urge you to be persistent when at the office about having the staff complete the iPledge program before you leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
They were most likely very nicely letting you know that your use of their after hours call system for ipledge inquiries was inappropriate.

Just like your use of this forum for this kind of question.
iBEwT7tEC0X2B.gif

Yes, the iPledge portion can be completed outside of the office. In most cases, private practice attendings haven't touched the iPledge system since residency and have delegated that task to in-office staff (and probably don't even know their own password to log in) which is why you are meeting resistance by directly phoning a physician.

This probably perpetuates a bad stereotype among dermatologists but very few will be happy to answer calls outside of the office for iPledge, particularly if they are covering for the actual prescriber. I realize there is a small window to pick up the medicine (particularly for females) so I would urge you to be persistent when at the office about having the staff complete the iPledge program before you leave.

Indeed it does perpetuate a bad stereotype. Excuse me but you're telling me this person is that lazy they don't want to go online, log in and fill out a few questions?

As for something being "above you," you're kidding right? I'll let that statement speak for itself in how absurd and egotistical that sounds.

I love easy problems. It requires little effort on my part and makes the patient happy.

Don't worry. This thread not only perpetuates a stereotype, it confirms it.

I'd like to state that I have friends that are dermatologists both in the military and civilian world. None of them I'm glad to say have this type of attitude.

I guess she was getting her nails done and didn't want to mess it up.

This is both sad and funny at the same time. This reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld. LOL, I guess the truth is not only funny but fact.

Last edited:
Indeed it does perpetuate a bad stereotype. Excuse me but you're telling me this person is that lazy they don't want to go online, log in and fill out a few questions?

As for something being "above you," you're kidding right? I'll let that statement speak for itself in how absurd and egotistical that sounds.

I love easy problems. It requires little effort on my part and makes the patient happy.

I'd like to state that I have friends that are dermatologists both in the military and civilian world. None of them I'm glad to say have this type of attitude.

This is both sad and funny at the same time. This reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld. LOL, I guess the truth is not only funny but fact.

You're just going to out yourself as a troll after two posts? Weak.

Reactions: 1 users
While possible, it's not optimal. I personally like to document everything I do relating to patient care. While I could jot down a note to do it when I'm in the office, I would rather take care of these things at the office so I can properly document what I do.

There are numerous reasons why this may have happened. Instead of making rude assumptions maybe you could, I don't know...ask the physician why they handle it that way?

Reactions: 1 user

Way to take what I said and go running with it.

Not that I need to justify my practice patterns to you, but as a female and former Accutane patient, I am well aware of the barriers imposed by the iPledge program and make it a point to personally confirm my own patients in the program before they leave my office to ensure no one deals with falling outside the 7 day deadline. That being said, it is not the norm for most practices and is equivalent to getting a phone call to refill a non-emergent medicine for one of your partners' patients. I have a hard time believing that you would be fulfilling that task on a weekend with a great big smile on your face.

(Furthermore, in my group of 10+ physicians, I am the only one who actually prescribes Accutane. The others may not even have access to the iPledge program. We aren't exactly renewing HCTZ here.)

There have been multiple complaints about this thread and I've been more than fair in not only setting those aside but giving you an honest and informative answer.

Rest assured I will not let the thread continue if you continue to come into OUR forum to insult OUR specialty and its practitioners.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Write to your congressman/woman to remove the ipledge system. thx.

Reactions: 1 users

Whoa. Hold up here. Are you actually a physician based on your status? I would expect a bit more professionalism. Many of us that frequent this forum are quite dedicated to the field and I would urge that you take a pause before making judgements. Shame on you.

What asmallchild is trying to point out is the iPledge system requires a login and confirmation and many dermatologists will delegate this to a staff member and the staff member will have a password that will likely be at the office. This would make it hard for the dermatologist to sign in from home. They need to know the exact date of your wife's pregnancy test too and this may not be accessible from home. Some know their password and some don't and many times the staff member will take care of this to improve the efficiency. The inability to fill the iPledge may be a logistical. It's not so simple to login and just answer a few questions and there are a couple other moving parts and info that is needed to make sure you answer those questions accurately (such as looking at lab results documentation). As asmallchild mentions, we really do understand the inconvenience and so very sorry to hear that your wife had to wait with the 7 day window looming. Looks like you need to have a conversation with the staff instead of making so many assumptions.

That said, you have no business coming in with a bunch of unbased insults when someone is trying to help provide a helpful solution.

"I guess she was getting her nails done and didn't want to mess it up"....really? I hope you have a much better attitude with your patients. Initially I found your post reasonable and now I find your posts annoying. I think asmallchild gave you a very reasonable suggestion for the future and instead of being an jerk maybe you should try to see if that is a reasonable solution. Why don't you have one of your friend dermatologists help you out with your wife? I won't make any assumptions and realize that maybe you insurance limits who you can see, and my bigger question is: if you have friend dermatologists, why don't you ask them about iPledge and why are you here?

Reactions: 2 users