irish or overseas skools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wut2do

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guyz,

I recently started thinkin bout applyin to med skools in ireland, n from reading some posts in these forums I think I may have missed the deadlines 2 apply. Am I rite? Do they accept late applications, I really dont wanna waste another year waitin 2 apply. Is there any way?I also wanna kno bout the financial situation there, is it more expensive 2 complete skool there then in canada/us? And bout the Mcat exams, wut if the uni doesnt require em but i take em anywayz cuz my grades werent great, would they even look at it, is that a good idea? Three things I fear are 1.) bein conned by some skool that claims 2 b accredited 2.) everythin bein 2 expensive 2 afford therefore not bein able 2 attend 3.) not gettin accepted :( Any info that would help a person who is thinkin of applyin cuz i have no clu wut 2 do as my name may explain.
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Try calling the Atlantic Bridge. It's barely even April, you should have a good shot at gettin in somewhere.

As far as the MCATs, most schools do not look at them, with the notable exception being RCSI. Most schools, assuming you have at least a 3.0 GPA, probably will accept you. However, all of them have different criteria. If you did OK on your MCATs for god's sake, submit them. Anything you have will help you in your app'n.

As far as cost goes.... Dublin is very expensive as a city and tuition is high for int'l students. Something for you to consider, but there are loans available if you do get accepted.

Finally, regarding accreditation, all the Irish schools are recognized in the UN's WHO guide meaning you can take your american boards (USMLEs) and then apply to a residency position there if you wish. Canadian boards are a lil more complicated, but it is also possible to do a residency there.

Good luck.

K I called atlantic bridge today, I didnt miss the deadline, itz on march 31st. I m juss worried bout financing this n getting in now. Would any of u kno of any other med skools that maybe a bit easier on finances, or of any loans a canadian studying aboard can get? thanx again
p.s. thanx dirtymac

Members don't see this ad :)
People keep saying that they don't, but RCSI, UCD, and UCC will look at MCATs if you have them. Trinity was the only school that wouldn't.

When I applied, UCC and RCSI required them. Maybe that's changed but I wouldn't guess it has.

well I called em n they said rcsi doesnt look at the mcats if ur goin 4 the 6 year program

^ You are in Canada, so try the banks like Scotiabank, RBC, TD, or BMO for student loans. CanHELP is another option to finance your education.

Is it possible to get both (LOC from a bank and Canhelp)?

I would think so. But with CanHelp, you can get a 25K loan with your signature, but if you get a cosigner, the loan increases to about 45K.

Would these loans cover all expenses? Or will i have 2 pay some stuff from my pocket I m in a very tight financial situation rite now

You should know that the tuition at RCSI is between 31-34,000 Euros (which is about 50-51,000 CAD). That doesn't include your food and lodging, which would be another 10K CAD. You'd probably have to take OSAP as well (which gives students studying overseas about 6-8K). Going to Ireland is NOT cheap. You have to make sure you can come up with the cash, and you don't want to drop out halfway through with this huge debt.

The interest is higher for Canhelp right? Without cosigners it would probably be best getting a $150K loc from Royal bank and $25K/year from CanHelp.

ok guyz i m filling out my application tommorow n sending it in, I juss wanna kno wut i should write for "how i will b funding my education, be specific" part. should i juss tell em bout the loans i m enquiring bout, wut am i suppose 2 write there.

dirtymac42, is it really true that if you have a 3.0 gpa, you stand a good shot of getting accepted to an irish school? looking at the stats of successful applicants, it seems like the competition is getting tougher...

To get accepted to RC$I, you need a deep wallet and, possibly, a heart beat.

Sparkler7 said:
dirtymac42, is it really true that if you have a 3.0 gpa, you stand a good shot of getting accepted to an irish school? looking at the stats of successful applicants, it seems like the competition is getting tougher...

Well, yes, with the increasing popularity of an Irish education in North America and the increasing number of applicants, it is getting more difficult to get in. But i was accepted into the 1st Med class (the 5-year program) at RCSI about 2 years ago now and i'll tell you what i applied with: GPA 2.9, MCAT 33 (11,11,11). But to be honest, they seem to focus on the positive points during your interview.... ie, good extra-curriculars (scientific research and/or sports involvement), in my case the MCATs (not my GPA.... hahah), and how i was going to finance myself (i told them i was considering gettin a job in Dublin, they did NOT like that answer, they DO like hearing that "my daddy is going to pay for me")

Of course, if you are applying out of high school or with a non-science degree, then you will be applying for the 6-year program at RCSI.

For all of you confused, the college makes the decision for you (5 or 6 year); you don't get to choose!

Money, money, and more.....money.

Jammer said:
Money, money, and more.....money.

That's a rather insulting comment to all the native born irish students who studied hard for years in high school to get into RCSI....